Engine vs Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine vs Motor

So I was helping out a few days back at my old school. My old instructor who is now a friend was working on her 96 Impala SS she built with a 60 over LT1, cammed with roller rockers, full bolt ons, built heads, etc. The thing is a near 500hp street car, and it’s stupid awesome. I was joking around with her and said “That’s one bad ass motor I tell you what” in a southern accent pointing fun at Hank Hill, right?

Some student said “That’s an engine not a motor, stupid.” I gave him the whothefuckareyou&whyareyouspeaking look. I asked the student to point at a motor in the engine bay. He vaguely pointed at random things in the bay, and he couldn’t point out a single motor. I showed him the starter MOTOR, the wiper MOTOR, opened the door - window MOTOR.

I told him to think a little before you call somebody stupid. He shut up after that of course, but this leads me to the topic.

If you know what the person is talking about (engine or motor, whatever). Why are people so quick to call one out? Sure I’ve joked around with the “motors are for Tesla’s” comment, but I’m not going out of my way calling people dumb.

Even on major social media groups like Hoonigan, they’ll make a little censor bar with Engine*/Hand brake* on it when they say motor or e-brake in the video.

WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT. So many people have corrected them, that they make it a point to correct themselves. These dudes just built a 450hp Wankel, and an LS e36. They’re not stupid. Stfu Mandark. /rant

ya i think back in the day (1920) there was an argument over this as motors basically were converted to engines. But ya... it's an engine as it's not self starting, etc. etc.

Comment

Ha...Mandark...

People just have to feel superior to you one way or the other, whether it be through trying to correct you by showing how much knowledge they have or by insulting you. It gets really old, really quickly.

As far as engine vs. motor, without Googling, the first thing that comes to mind is a combustion engine, internal or external.

There are also search engines and similar tech things that are paired with the word 'engine'.

Motor immediately brings thoughts of induction or DC electric motors. Probably because I've been conditioned to associate the word 'motor' with those things.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Isn't the difference that an engine creates the energy it uses to do work while a motor is supplied with the energy it uses to do work?

Personally, it is irritates me in certain situations when people don't use the right terminology, but this would NOT have been one of those situations because it isn't a big deal.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Merriam-Webster lists an internal combustion engine as a definition for “motor”.

Though owequitit pretty much stated exactly how I feel on the matter.

Comment

There's technical, then there's technical.

Ask an eletrical or mechanical engineer. You'll get your answer. Where's Kai? or Anthony? I'm sure they know.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Lol. There’s professional and perfessional.

I would like to know the actual difference here. Like Sonik said, when I think motor I think of a self starting DC electric spinnyathing. Like fuel pumps, starters, electric drills, etc.

If I’m correct in the minimal amount of research I’ve done on the toilet, all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines?

Here’s a curveball - SEARCH ENGINE! Search motor? There’s some fuckery going on here cause I don’t see google running off hydrocarbons..

Edit: Sonik said that sorry. Honestly I got side tracked by your cool new signature picture.
              Last edited by F22Chris; 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                Lol. There’s professional and perfessional.

I would like to know the actual difference here. Like Sonik said, when I think motor I think of a self starting DC electric spinnyathing. Like fuel pumps, starters, electric drills, etc.

If I’m correct in the minimal amount of research I’ve done on the toilet, all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines?

Here’s a curveball - SEARCH ENGINE! Search motor? There’s some fuckery going on here cause I don’t see google running off hydrocarbons..
                The best thinking occurs on the shitter anyway, so if you are solving it there, then it is good enough for the real world.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

an engine is a motor, however a motor is not an engine

Comment

I can see exactly why it matters. For me specifics by definition are key. Especially given that I work in IT, the term memory often gets mixed up with storage which by definition is wrong for example.
                    The CB7 Collector.
                    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                    92 LX Coupe F22A1
                    2013 Toyota Corolla S
                    92 EX Sedan F22A1
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Yeah, but in this case it’s technically correct to call and engine a motor, correct? I originally thought I was wrong. Turns out not so much.

A motor is defined as a machine that does work by means of electricity or combustion. A gas engine uses both to do said work by using electricity to cause combustion. So engines are motors! Mystery solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X