Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Exhaust header heat wrapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust header heat wrapping?

In the next month i'm going to swap my exhaust header (f22a1 to f22a3). Now that i've got the a3 header off from the engine, i thought that i could heatwrap it. The header is used and OEM so, do you think it will gather corrosion (rust) and eventually makes a hole if I wrap it? I drive my car around the year, so it should hold also for the winter.

Here is what you do. Get some DEI exhaust paint and paint your header. Than wrap it with titanium wrap, not the cheap or other stuff. You will thank yourself later on down the road. This is aso what Im doing with my a4 header for my spring build
    Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
    Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

Comment

hopefully he has access to that stuff in finland.

wrapping it may lead to corrosion or the excess heat trapped in there may cause it to crack. though the oem header is more robust than a cheap aftermarket header. people on the east coast of the us run wrapped cheap aftermarket headers for years with no problems, and we have a serious rust problem here since we use salt on our roads to melt snow.

how hard is it to find another f22a3 manifold if this one does rust or crack? or are you looking to eventually upgrade to something a bit better, like a bisimoto header somewhere in the future?

Comment

My stepfather is a mechanic and I have asked him the same question about header wraps. Over 25 years in the business, he told me to stay away. The wrap actually increases heat as the heat cannot escape out due to the wrap which can cause warping, cracking, which therefore causes leaks. Id say its a no go.

Comment

thats the point of wrapping the header...to keep the heat in the header and out of the engine bay

Comment

dont wrap an OEM header, it is almost guaranteed to crack. aftermarket headers that have been ceramic coated is the only thing you should wrap.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
              dont wrap an OEM header, it is almost guaranteed to crack. aftermarket headers that have been ceramic coated is the only thing you should wrap.
              I did wrap my DC Sports header and its holding up just fine.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I've known people to wrap cheap "ebay" headers and have no cracks form.
                Ceramic coating is another way to keep heat in (and to prevent corrosion, as most ceramic coated headers are mild steel, not stainless.)

Keeping heat in does help maintain exhaust velocity, and offers some protection for underhood components. However, it does put more strain on the metal. It increases the potential for cracking, but it doesn't mean that it WILL crack.

Comment

I have a cheap header that i Wraped with the white wrap than painted, Ive had this for 4 months now. It has not cracked. Im going to wrap an a4 header after i paint it first to seal the metal from corroson . I may also add this header is very popular around where i live and for $17 a pop i can live with a $50 modification gone wrong. ill let everyone know how it goes in a year. The reason i am doing this is because i like the look of wraped headers and i cant stand looking at the metal heatshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    I did wrap my DC Sports header and its holding up just fine.
                    he said dont wrap a OEM header which is a cast iron. They will crack.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

The f22a4 header is not cast, I believe it is stainless, i discovered this while i stared cleaning it and it started to get really shiny. The F22a1 manifold is a cast iron manifold

Comment

a4 and a6 oem headers arent stainless...they will rust (stainless won't)

Comment

stainless does rust, their are different kinds of stainless like 305 or 316 i dont know what type of stainlessthe a4 header is, but it is definately not cast iron

Comment

The A4 header is mild steel, not stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              The A4 header is mild steel, not stainless.
                              so wrapping is ago, and thanks deev

Comment

Working...
                              X