Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Paint for Interior plastic panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint for Interior plastic panels?

I'm wanting to paint my interior panels from the sand color to black.

I've used the dulpcolor interior color paint that you can get at your local parts store on the center console. It worked great, but it can get chipped from heavy metal objects.

Is their a better option?

I've done 3 coats, is that enough?

Should it be clear coated?

I'm more curious about the door panels because they get the most "traffic". I want a paint that won't get sticky in the hotter time of the year.

I also don't trust the dulpcolor on fabric. I've tested it on some trash floor mats. When the paint gets wet the paint can get whipped off.

Most instances I've heard regarding painting interior panels, especially large areas, has not been good. Most people say the paint either flakes off, or gets tacky. Honestly, your best bet would be to source a full black interior from a 91 DX (if you have a coupe) or a 91 SE (if you have a sedan.)

Since you've already painted, I would use a matte clear coat over it. Added protection can't hurt. Don't use gloss, as that will be shiny and cheap looking. With luck, modern paint is better than what I've seen people using in the past.
    Hopefully you prepped the surfaces well, or you're likely to get flaking.

As for anything cloth... dye, don't paint.

Comment

I've have great experiences in the past using SEM interior paint. It can be purchased through an auto paint specialty store. It dries and last to an OEM finish.
      01 AP1 (weekend cruiser)
      96 Boosted DC2 (my dream car)
      92 CB7 (winter beater)
      09 Ruckus
      92 MKII VR GTI
      17 Fiesta ST
      My crew SpeedeG is the featured Team Profile in vol. 5 issue 5 of S3 Magazine. Check it out.

Comment

Not dropping heavy metal objects on your interior would help Prepping the surface would be a major help too if you decide to paint. There will likely be oils dust and grime on it and in the crevices. Wash it with a rag and soapy water and then go back over it with a tack rag (or other rag that does not leave lint behind) and rubbing alcohol. Then you can apply paint prep such as Bulldog and then start with the color change.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
          Not dropping heavy metal objects on your interior would help Prepping the surface would be a major help too if you decide to paint. There will likely be oils dust and grime on it and in the crevices. Wash it with a rag and soapy water and then go back over it with a tack rag (or other rag that does not leave lint behind) and rubbing alcohol. Then you can apply paint prep such as Bulldog and then start with the color change.
          This. Prep is key. I'm pretty sure SEM has their own brand adhesion promoter too, which I've heard is perfect to use with their paints.

I actually plan on changing the color on parts of my CD7 Accord soon, so I'll let you know how it goes when the time comes lol.

Comment

SEM landau black is what you want. I hear it's closest to the OE black. I found the optional 92-93 tan center console that's taller. Got it from a wagon. But I need it to be gray. Anyone got any leads on a close to OE interior gray?
            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Working...
            X