CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Rattling coilovers?

I noticed this in my Miata, but I've noticed it in every car I've ever been in that was equipped with coilovers, including CB7s.

My coilovers rattle. It's annoying, and really reduces my confidence in them. I assume that since my setup is fairly new and decent (Flyin Miata... wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm not fearing for my life on them) and it was professionally set up that it's not likely due to materials or settings. Is this just a thing that adjustable coilovers do? I've never had anything but OEM or quality aftermarket springs and shocks/struts on all my cars in the past.
I'm seriously considering yanking these adjustables for some good static stuff!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is very helpful F22Chris is very helpful
That doesn't sound right. I'd check it out. Make sure everything is tight, and there's no rubbing. Mine never rattled, that's weird.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Weird. Every car I've ever been in with coilovers made a similar rattle. I'll poke around once it gets warmer out to make sure everything is tight, though the guy I got the car from was probably the most anal, meticulous person I've ever met!

I should probably yank them and sell them in favor of some good mild springs and quality shocks (bilsteins are the plan.) Never much cared for coilovers anyway.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Corweena
CB7tuner Member

Corweena is cool... so far.
Can you explain the rattle? Is it under load at turns, over bumps, going in/out of driveways?

Looking at Flyin Miata's design, its a traditional coilover with tender springs to keep the main springs in place at full droop. Have you jacked the car up and tested if there is any movement of the springs at full droop?

I've honestly never had any rattling with my Koni/GCs, at least that is directly associated with the suspension. What does happen though is when you put stiffer suspension on an older car is that other things start to loosen. Any time i hit a bump on the freeway (or any kind of abrupt change in pavement), is that I'll hear noises and rattling from behind the dash, and somewhere in the trunk. Its just what happens when you crank up the shock's compression damping after 20 years.

As long as the suspension is in there properly, with no extra movement, you should be fine. It could even be a number of other suspension parts that are making the noise too. Its not like its a blown strut clunking over every bump, or the spring coils binding on driveways.

I honestly don't know if going to a spring/shock setup would for sure eliminate the issue. It may definitely lessen it, since its probably a softer setup. But its still not stock, so it may still somewhat be there.
Corweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I usually only notice it when going over rough roads (lots of those in NJ!) It sounds like the spring is loose and moving around.
I haven't jacked it up to test, but I'll definitely do that.

I've actually contemplated going back to stock as well. I don't know if I'll be racing the car, so it's likely got plenty of sportiness for street use in stock form. The guy I bought it from used it for autocross, so he made good use of the upgraded suspension (it's a shame I outweigh him by 50+ lbs... he had it professionally set up with him in the car.)

Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I usually only notice it when going over rough roads (lots of those in NJ!) It sounds like the spring is loose and moving around.

I've actually contemplated going back to stock as well. I don't know if I'll be racing the car, so it's likely got plenty of sportiness for street use in stock form. The guy I bought it from used it for autocross, so he made good use of the upgraded suspension (it's a shame I outweigh him by 50+ lbs... he had it professionally set up with him in the car.)
Do they have the rubber insulators?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
Vermonter
CB7tuner Member

Vermonter is cool... so far.
Are they preloaded properly?
I've never had any problems with rattling. The coilover company should provide specific preload instructions. If you remove a coilover and you can rotate the spring by hand on the sleeve, then it's probably not preloaded correctly and when you hit a bump, it's decompressing the suspension and allowing the coil to rattle around on the sleeve.
Check it out.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 AM   #8
Corweena
CB7tuner Member

Corweena is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post

Yeah its probably best to check it out. See if anything is rattling at all. If I had to guess, check the isolators between the spring and top hat, as well as the ones between the main springs and tender springs. If its on rough roads, I doubt its the springs that are unseating or anything, since they never extended fully. It would be an issue if they were making noise angling in and out of driveways, where one wheel will extend. This is an issue with Koni/GC if you order too short of springs. But for rough roads, it could very well be just because the setup is much stiffer than OEM. Just a small price to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
Are they preloaded properly?
I've never had any problems with rattling. The coilover company should provide specific preload instructions. If you remove a coilover and you can rotate the spring by hand on the sleeve, then it's probably not preloaded correctly and when you hit a bump, it's decompressing the suspension and allowing the coil to rattle around on the sleeve.
Check it out.
Flyin Miata coilovers don't have a set preload. They are a traditional style coilover and adjust from the lower spring perch. They utilize tender springs to take up the slack of the main springs when fully extended, and the weight of the car is the preload. Its not like F&F KSport, and all the other brands out there that adjust from the lower mount now.

Last edited by Corweena; 02-27-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Corweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
I know this thread is a bit old but just in case anyone comes across this issue in the future I was advised by a technician at BC racing that after a few weeks on new coilovers to recheck the preload. The springs do settle and that loosens the preload. This would make it seem as though even relatively new coilovers had a defect.
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I still haven’t fixed it, so I’ll give that a shot once it gets a bit warmer out. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
You may just need some helper springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Can't say I've had this issue either, but it sounds like the on the spring extension (full extended / hitting a hole) the spring is rattling loose in the perch. Only thing I can think of. Can you find a youtube video of someone who has recorded the sound?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I haven’t heard any other reports of this, but I’ll see if I can get video of it happening. It’ll be a few weeks until the car is back on the road, unfortunately!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
baracuda
Southern Regional Moderator

baracuda is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
You may just need some helper springs
This is the only answer you need, this will push the coil tighter on the collar and top mount. This way like a normal spring & shock combo the coil isn't just hanging loose when not compressed.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Last edited by baracuda; 03-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I’ll have to see if such a thing can be added to my coilovers. I got the car with them (and wouldn’t have purchased them otherwise), so I don’t know what options may exist!

Thanks guys.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #16
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Since it has been mentioned here as a solution, where does one get helper springs?
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #17
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
Google. Find out the inner or outer diameter of your springs and get a collar + helper spring.

Coilovers are fun. I had to install a rear rubber spacer to get my G up to proper ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: