No announcement yet.

Bicycle suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to be very care-full buying used... Many times that 1 or 2 year old $700 bike that you picked up for $450 ends up costing $200+ in unseen repairs...

Biggest thing is hold the brakes tight and stand up and pedal as hard as possible and make sure the chain doesn't skip forward... On a nice bike to fix that would cost 80+ for the cassette, 30 for the chain, and maybe 30 for a worn chain ring if you can find direct replacement. If you cant find a direct replacement then complete chain set 80+....

Bikes aren't like cars.. We have had problems getting replacement parts that are already discontinued for a current year model with even big brands..

Comment

not sure if ne one suggested this,
      but it seems like your looking into cross country style bikes.
      Basically a light frame either hardtail or soft (front only, or a dual suspension)
      and they are good for normal terrain, and they can definitely be taken off road to your average trail.
      Not really sure bout the prices, or exact brands, but my buddy who bikes with me, has a santa cruz blur. Its a hella fast bike and can handle most of the local trails round here. Obviously nothing mountainous like what we normally do on weekends, but when we do go to the local trails ill be huffing and puffing with my DH rig while hes just pedaling along as if its nothing.

Hope this helps man
      edit: holy crap, double post D: my bad!
      ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Yeah, I live in south jersey... so there's not a whole lot of crazy terrain to rid on.

Basically, this will be on the streets, and on paved paths through local parks.

I've always ridden mountain bikes, but they're heavy, with heavy wheels... made for a type of riding that I won't be doing. It'd be like having a heavy duty diesel pickup truck as a grocery getter.
        However, I'm most comfortable with that design. The hybrid looks like it'd feel like a mountain bike, and not a skinny road bike, without offering as much weight or rolling resistance as the mountain bike would.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          However, I'm most comfortable with that design. The hybrid looks like it'd feel like a mountain bike, and not a skinny road bike, without offering as much weight or rolling resistance as the mountain bike would.
          Ride both... I start getting pissed at bike number 5 a customer tests drives but never refuse lol..

Did you go in a bike store yet.... Pic up a $400 mountain bike and a $400 hybrid and see the difference .... Not much at all... Sometimes it goes the other way..

Comment

Here you go
            This is what you want. You can never go wrong with a Ferrari!

They sell these all over Ebay. I wonder how authentic they are for $1,800.
            Ground Up Construction In Progress
            Members Ride Thread

Comment

Well, Ferrari let someone make a laptop with their stuff on it (by Acer, I think...) so I bet they are authentic! Well... they're probably $800 bikes with the licensed Ferrari logo on them...

Comment

Alright. I'll tell you that I've ridden my Trek 4300 for about a decade now. I'm a heavy guy (Was up to 250 lb.), so I'm not nice on this thing and it's held up nicely. It's a front suspension aluminum framed bike and the biggest issue I've had is having to replace the crank set. (Was my fault. Came straight down onto a log on a rough trail.) I've been riding just on the paved paths past couple years and the bike is still pretty comfortable. (Big guy not used to seat anymore.)

Current 4300 on the site you listed. (It's really improved over the years.)

In short I'd agree with not going for bottom of the line. I'd advise you to look into an aluminum frame as opposed to a steel frame bike. The lighter weight will be nicer on you for inclines. I'm riding an entry-mid level mountain. If you're staying only on roads and nice paths then a road bikes fine. I just don't trust those skinny little things. I'd recommend Trek as it's a good quality brand, but it's also the only higher quality brand I've had experience with. Just remember to stay away from Entry level. (4300 is a few models up in the line.)

All in all I would highly recommend stopping into several of the local bike shops. There will be some good and some bad as with anything. (The one I ended up with I have free lifetime tuneup service through for instance.) Look for the more knowledgeable people and talk to them. Try to talk to those that ride themselves. They know what they're talking about and will be a huge help in you picking the proper bike for you.
                Last edited by Geist Zero; 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM.

Originally posted by deevergote
                When you have to take a leak, and someone's in the bathroom, isn't it proper to piss in the fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                  Ride both... I start getting pissed at bike number 5 a customer tests drives but never refuse lol..

Did you go in a bike store yet.... Pic up a $400 mountain bike and a $400 hybrid and see the difference .... Not much at all... Sometimes it goes the other way..
                  I'll have to give it a shot. I meant to go today, but my lazy ass never left this seat.

The last bike I bought was a Ross mountain bike for $200, back in 1997. I still have it. Bad brakes, bad shifter mechanisms, and a dented rear wheel from when a 7 year old hit me with a golf club as I rode by (that was in 98... I rode the thing for years after that... with the bent rim)

Bikes have changed so much in the past 13 years, it's crazy.

Comment

Yeah, just run Slicker tires on a Hardtail mountain bike ( I would suggest Kenda K-Rads, no more than $20 each. ). If you want a light bike just make sure the frame is aluminum, a hardtail that is considered light would be around 26 lbs or less. As mentioned some quality bike brands are Gary Fisher, Norco, Cannondale, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Banshee, GT and Trek. I've been a downhill mountain biker for about 3-4 years and I've tried about 11 - 12 different bike models and brands in the past year .
                    Last edited by 1990accordex-r; 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I have a Gary Fisher(BIG SUR) that i bought in 2001.Gary Fishers are very good bikes. I know its a 9 yr old bike but i still looks like new im very seriouse. Maybe it will be for sale.The only thing that i have replaced is the tires and got the armodillo tires.
                      http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...x?ItemID=35654
                      Last edited by zacatecas; 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Heres what a $2700 XC Hard tail looks like. The front suspension alone is about $650.

Comment

^ DROOL!!!!!!:
                          Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                            ^ DROOL!!!!!!:
                            $6000 Rocky mountain The front suspension is worth more than a CB7 lol ($2550.)

Sorry for spamming yur thread deev
                            Last edited by 1990accordex-r; 06-02-2010, 01:13 AM.

Comment

wow.. never knew there was so much to bicycles.

anyways i need to find the moped thread that is on here. cant really afford insurance rite now

Comment

Working...
                              X