Piston/Connecting Rod Bearing inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston/Connecting Rod Bearing inspection

Do these rod bearings look like they need to be replaced?

It is a lower-mileage motor (exact number unknown) and the crank surfaces look to be in excellent shape with no marks or discoloration. Cylinders and cam caps still show original crosshatching, so I don't suspect any major oil problems in its history.

I have heard that this bearing wear/discoloration is normal egg-shaping from just the nature of the piston pushing down on them while running, that puts the markings where you see them. I can believe that, but it doesn't sound good, does it?

The bearing oil clearances are right on spec, and the wear is completely smooth... but if I might have problems with them in the future, now is the time to replace them. But I don't want to be replacing them if they are "fine" as is.

Please let me know what you think...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

I think they look "fine" as you said with normal wear.
    I also think you like your work too be perfect and bearings are cheap and you won't be happy unless you swap them out.
    With the crank and the caps being in good shape like you said all you have too do is order the same bearing codes as you take out.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
      I think they look "fine" as you said with normal wear.
      I also think you like your work too be perfect and bearings are cheap and you won't be happy unless you swap them out.
      With the crank and the caps being in good shape like you said all you have too do is order the same bearing codes as you take out.
      Thanks for the input,

I am putting my daily driver back together, and I picked up a JDM motor to drop in ("without having to touch it really") so I could get back on the road, and it turned out to be pretty much a rebuild anyway. New valves, piston rings, and now rod bearings - the whole motor is torn down pretty much. I ordered the bearings from Honda since I knew exactly which ones to get, not only were the codes stamped, but I could still see the original paint stripe colors on the old bearings. Added a few other gaskets and o-rings on with my order, and this thing will be fresh as heck and back on the road soon enough

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I would say that if you have it torn down that far, just replace the bearings. They aren't that expensive and it's just a little insurance.
        Originally posted by Junior Smurff
        Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

While it is "normal" to see this effect, it's still not a great thing. That is the factory molybdenum coating that is coming off of the bearing. The physical bearing itself is still undamaged. This was likely the result of a car that ran very hot oil or oil that was too low in viscosity. If oil changes are infrequent, the oil will break down and it will lose the viscosity it once had. Since cars in Japan are relegated to such low miles, many times owners aren't as keen on getting the preventative maintenance performed on their cars. What's the point if they don't even need it to last 50,000 miles, right?

The bearings are fine if you want to reuse them, but that is a worn surface. Do a cost assessment based on what you want from this engine and make your decision. Personally, even if I went with ACLs, I would replace them.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
          X