This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jdm headlight FAQ w/ answers!

ok. many members seem to have tons of questions about jdm headlights, but many are repeated, or slight variations on previously asked questions. i hope that this thread will be able to answer many questions, and allow for members to peruse through threads on topics about other jdm parts available for the cb7 (whether honda oem in japan, or aftermarket in japan).

are these jdm headlights? they're advertised as such on ebay

while ebay is a wonderful place to do commerce, sellers are not always the most informed individuals. also, sellers have learned that the art of selling on ebay is including as many headliners in a description as possible, in order to get as many "hits" on their auction as possible.
    the point of this thread is not these u.s. manufactured lights, or to compare these lights to the jdm headlights, so i'll move on.

what's the difference between usdm and jdm headlights?
    well, there are quite a few differences:

first, you must remember that driving is done on the opposite side of the road in japan. this makes a difference in the focus of the beam pattern.
    in the u.s., the beam pattern is towards the right, where most road signs are, and oncoming drivers generally are not
    in japan, the beam pattern is towards the left.
    so, using jdm headlights may annoy other drivers here in this country, as the beam pattern is towards oncoming traffic.

second, the headlights are nipple-less. why it is that our usdm headlights have nipples, remains a subject of controversy (some say it is the headlight making process in this country- that the machine must hold onto the light somehow; others say it is the difference in using glass on our headlights and plastic in japan).

third, there are one piece as well as two piece headlights. while most people who are in search of jdm headlights are looking for the one piece headlight, one piece headlights were only available on the sedan models. the two piece headlight system was available on the coupe models. again, if you've been paying attention, the two piece jdm headlights are different from the one piece usdm headlights in that they are nippleless, and have a different beam pattern.

Originally posted by usc
    jdm 1-pieces are plastic. jdm 2-pieces have plastic corners but glass headlamps.
    jdm one piece headlight (blamethepunx)

jdm two piece headlight

why do some one piece headlights have chrome trim, and others do not?
    typically, those one piece headlights with chrome trim are 90/91 headlights.
    typically, those one piece headlights without the chrome trim are 92/93 headlights.
    i say typically, because some say/claim that there are 92/93 headlights that have chrome trim.

rebels' 90/91 jdm one piece headlights

93accordex's 92/93 jdm one piece headlights (please note that they have a custom blackhousing)

what's up with the light output on the jdm headlights?
    remember, the light pattern is different in the jdm headlights (favors the left) than in the usdm headlights (favors the right).
    outside of that, there is not much difference in usable light between the jdm and usdm headlights.

will the jdm headlights cause glare for oncoming traffic?

Originally posted by BustedLX
    You can not adjust the beam pattern of your headlights. It is the pattern the reflector was designed to reflect. I don't know if you even understand what Im refering to but I'll mention it anyway, If you already know forgive me for wasting your time.

LHD headlights have a cut off of light that reflects light up and to the right where street signs would be. That way even though the lights are focused to illuminate the ground you can still partially illuminate and reflect off street signs on the right. Ever noticed that when you drive you car?

Well RHD headlights have the same design only since they drive on the right the light is cut up and to the left.

So when you put RHD headlights on a LHD car you will glare to on coming traffic. Depending how your headlights are adjusted is how much you'll blind them. To compensate for this on mine I just aimed my headlights close to the ground then they would normally be. I never got flashed. But I know others that have.

You'll notice what I mean if you just park you car, turn on the headlights, and walk by it on the drivers side and you'll see it uncomfortable on your eyes.

There are no LHD one-peices!. All one-pieces are RHD.

what bulbs are used in the jdm headlights?
    you cannot use the bulbs in the usdm headlights. the usdm units use 9006 (low beam) and 9005 (high beam) bulbs.

the jdm units use h4 bulbs (low beam) and h1 bulbs (high beam).

can i use an h.i.d. kit in the jdm headlights?
    sure.

pic showing output from fliplyricist1's jdm headlights with hid kit

for more pics of his h.i.d. kit, go here

are the jdm headlights a direct bolt in replacement?
    errr... kinda sorta. you can splice or solder the wires from the headlights to that of the car. of course, this will require cutting the wires to the usdm headlights to be replaced.
    you may also have to shave a bit of the lower portion of the headlight off in order for them to clear the bumper:

Originally posted by cpmike
    when i installed my 9091's, the bumper wouldnt fully sit against the car until i cut part of the mounting bracket off, seen in the pic below. i cut along the red dotted line (dont mind the red circle). i guess i should have used a dremel, but it wasnt outside with me, and i had a pair of wirecutters in my hands from when i did wiring... so i cut the plastic w/ them compare the brackets from the jdm headlights to ur stock ones when they finally arrive, and see if you do in fact need to make the cut.
    [img]http://www.****.com/pics/jdmheads/cut.jpg[/img]

Can i use 92-93 headlights on a 90-91 (or vice versa)?
    see cpmike's first post down below. this thread may also be of some additional help.

ok, i know i want some jdm headlights. where do i find them?
    baller on a budget sources:
    www.ebay.com
    thread on autosonic
    full price vendors:
    www.spwusa.com
    www.nopionline.com
    www.optauto.com

i have my jdm headlights. how do i change the bulbs?

dont unscrew anything... pull the rubber boot off, and theres a metal wire tab sticking up. if u follow it, its hooked underneath a metal clip (that has a screw in it)- push the tab down, out, and release it. the metal wire should open up and leave the bulb loose.

how do i adjust the jdm headlights?

those little wheels are adjusters. the plastic lip that surrounds the wheels shoudl have a notch in it on either side- stick a screwdriver (i think phillips head) down thru the slot and under the \/\/\/\/ shaped wheel, and turn the screwdriver to rotate the wheel.

yes, those are adjuster wheels which one u should use, i have no idea.
    Originally posted by fliplyricist1
    the upper wheel right above the inner h1 lights is for the horizontal adjustment of the h1 lights

the big lower wheel in the middle is for the horizontal adjustment of the h4 headlights

the little tiny wheels on the end corners are for the left/right adjustment of the h4's
    check the 2nd page for a pic and description from timmy0tool.

how do i clean the surface of jdm headlights?
    Originally posted by usc
    jdm 1-pieces are plastic. jdm 2-pieces have plastic corners but glass headlamps.
    for the one-piece headlights:
    Originally posted by timmy0tool
    use mother's mag and aluminum wheel polish. yea i know it's for rims but they work wonders on plastic lenses as well, and they protect like a wax. they will get rid of that glazing that you described for sure!
    Originally posted by accordztech
    try some plastix made by mequiars, its a white bottle that really works well on plastic, it gets faded ness out and like hazy stuff out and some bad spots that cant be taken out normally.

plus use it on all the lights that look dull and it will shine it up till it looks new

its about 5 or 6 bucks
    for the 2-piece headlights, you can use regular glass cleaner, or if brave, have them wetsanded.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 10-10-2006, 12:26 AM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Hey nice write up. I just hope people will actually search for this thread and read it. I don't know about others but I understood it all. DIY comes natural to most of us CB7 owners.

Comment

B-E-A-freaking-utiful.

you covered just about everything i could think of!!! a much needed sticky.

Can i use 92-93 headlights on a 90-91 (or vice versa)?
      92-93 bumpers have a thin lip between the headlights coming from the top edge of the bumper. the 92-93 grille is a bit shorter than the 90-91 because of this.

- 90-91 grille & 92-93 bumper - lip will cover up the bottom edge of the grille. (picture of lokuputha's car)
      - 92-93 grille & 90-91 bumper - there will be an open gap between the grille and bumper. not very noticable, couldnt be more than like 5mm. (no picture)

as far as the grille:

- 90-91 grille and 92-93 headlights: grille will stick out at the top a bit. (picture of Phempa's car)
      - 92-93 grille and 90-91 headlights: grille will stick out at the bottom (picture below). the headlights will be set back a little bit with a 92-93 bumper (also in the picture below) but not with a 90-91 bumper. (no picture)
      [img]http://www.****.com/pics/jdmheads/grille.jpg[/img]
      Last edited by cp[mike]; 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

super

copy paste saved it :LOL:
        thx man

u should do JDM bumper different too

GREAT JOB MAN
        thx

Comment

comment:

jdm uses h4 and h1....

h4 is low and high,

h1 is for daytime running lights and not a high beam correct?

cause i know h4 has a high..but that be nice if h1 and h4 high was on all at the same time WAOH
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

some people say that, yes... that the H4 is supposed to be both low/high and the H1 is a driving light... but the way the connectors come from japan, there is no way to hook up the highbeam filament of the H4 bulb... so really half of the H4 bulb is disconnected and never used. in some other cars that use H4 bulbs, yes, both filaments are used... but theres only one headlamp housing. theres no second housing/bulb for highbeams.

ztech you already know my plans and what ive done with my jdm headlights...

Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
              comment:

jdm uses h4 and h1....

h4 is low and high,

h1 is for daytime running lights and not a high beam correct?

cause i know h4 has a high..but that be nice if h1 and h4 high was on all at the same time WAOH
              h1 is NOT DRL. it's auxilliary/driving light, which just means supplemental high beam pretty much.

the h1 are suppose to come on only when the high beam are used.
              Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

so really is the high part of the h4 actually working? it has to be..but wow...h1 and h4 high on at the same time? really..

hehe cpmike, you do know my plan for jdm as well =)
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

yeah. h4 high beams have been notoriously weak due to the fact that it's just a change in focal distance of the light source in a reflector where 5/7 of the reflective surface was designed for low-beam function. the h1 offers excellent distance lighting.

*let me dig up some old pics*

Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

u know what, i was just over ur site looking at those.

cause i want to go jdm headlights. they look clear, more than my glass.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

That's a damn good write up

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

well here's a problem no one has run into....

got the lights wired up, problem is, the connecters for the H1's have spots for 2 plug-ins, while the H1 bulbs only have 1 prong to plug in.... plus the H1 bulbs are too small or something for the hole and won't stay in the headlight very good.

Last edited by shawn.hayden; 09-01-2004, 11:41 PM.
                        OS^e
                        1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

Does this mean we lose DRL if we switch to JDM??

Comment

Originally posted by Genki
                            Does this mean we lose DRL if we switch to JDM??
                            drl's are a canadian phenomenon... we in the u.s. don't have that feature on our usdm headlights. as such, we never lost it, since we didn't have it!

here's a diagram supplied by our own cpmike on how to do drl's in the jdm headlights:

make sure to click on the above picture for more information

important info from timmy0tool:

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                            be aware that H4 bulbs will prematurely wear out faster if both filaments are on simultaneously for a long period of time. when both filaments are on there is a lot more heat buildup. if you'd notice that in most H4 equipped cars, when the high beam filament is triggered, the low beam filament is turned off.

in our case, our cars have independent high/low beam wiring, so the attached diagram will run both filaments on the H4 when the high beam is triggered. i would try and relay the signal somehow to where the low beam can turn off when the high beam is on. just a heads up for you!

to answer your no-high-beam problem, the reason why they don't light up is because the ground of the high beam wiring is connected to the H4 plug. the positive side of the high beam wiring needs to be connected to the H4 plug in order for it to turn on. the diagram mike drew is reversed on that part but the rest is correct. the "cutoff" wire is correct too. good luck!
                            Last edited by uncle_el; 11-25-2004, 07:45 AM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

in reference to the quote you have by timmy0tool above:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...765#post143765

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X