Overheating car at stand still..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating car at stand still..

After my car reaches operating temp it begans to overheat if car isnt moving.
    If I have to stop at a stop light my temp gauge moves past half continuing into the red area. However When I Start to move and continue travel the needle drops back to normal position (under half) untill I have to stop again.

Car has
    -no t-stat (just found out from previous owner)
    -replaced U and L rad hoses
    -Rad fan works but makes noise
    -no A/C

Has anyone had this spacific problem or have any ideas to fix?

Thx

Searched and couldn't find anything

Chances are your fan is not functioning properly....if there is water & coolant yet when you move the temp is fine, when you stop it climbs...this is either low water\coolant levels or a bad fan. Fan may just not be spinning fast enough and is partly the reason for the noise. I would buy a new one or even test with a used one just to see. If it was anything else the car would run hot all the time and moving cooling it down just shows the radiator is ok.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
      Chances are your fan is not functioning properly....if there is water & coolant yet when you move the temp is fine, when you stop it climbs...this is either low water\coolant levels or a bad fan. Fan may just not be spinning fast enough and is partly the reason for the noise. I would buy a new one or even test with a used one just to see. If it was anything else the car would run hot all the time and moving cooling it down just shows the radiator is ok.
      Thats what I was thinkin too but I wasnt too sure because I too thought that if there was a real problem that the car would be hot all the time..

thx bro
      I'll try replacing it and see what it does Any seggustions on where to get the new fan?

Cb7 all Day!

Comment

Does the fan turn on when your sitting at a stop light? (when the temps climb)

If your going to replace the fan might as well put a thermostat in the car while your at it! A broken/non existent thermostat can give you the same issues. However, if your sitting at a stop sign and the fan comes on the temps will usually go down a bit. If the fan is working properly.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          Does the fan turn on when your sitting at a stop light? (when the temps climb)

If your going to replace the fan might as well put a thermostat in the car while your at it!
          yeah it turns on n after that the the temp climbs so that could be y

lol yeah ima do that too..

Comment

I have a similar problem it seems.

if you check out my post"quick tstat question" you'll see a picture and a description of the problem.

also I was told that bleeding your cooling system might solve the issue.

also check to see iff your car heats up with the tstat in.. and when you accelerate to higher rpm it goes down (without the car being in motion just give it gas in neutral.)

that's what mine does. Without the tstat it seems to run fine but with it it'll fluctuate to higher temps and when I hit higher rpms the temp goes doun as if the higher rpm help the tstat open up.

Comment

So if the thermostat was completely bypassed, then watever you live in florida, no biggie. The next thing I would check is a poor condition/ rusty / gunked up radiator. Change your coolant also, try some "water wetter".
              RoaR MRT

Comment

Originally posted by close2classic View Post
                So if the thermostat was completely bypassed, then watever you live in florida, no biggie. The next thing I would check is a poor condition/ rusty / gunked up radiator. Change your coolant also, try some "water wetter".

lol how did you know my rad was poor condition..? however its true I changed the coolant tho.. but I am looking to change the radiator soon

Water wetter??

Comment

"water wetter" is something they use in sport bikes to increase the effectiveness of coolant. I forget the trademark names. Good luck and a rad change aint a bad job
                  RoaR MRT

Comment

what happened to me was the fan was moving..but it was slower than the other 1..it turns out to be the fan's bearing has gone..replaced the motor and its good to go..

and another thing is that,make sure the fan turns clockwise..it happens to a friend of mine and the temperature raised soon after turning the AC on..when the AC is off,everything was back to normal..

Comment

@close2classic
                      I had taken out the radiator to replace the lower hose (it was at night ddnt have much light) but wasnt a bad job.

@deramansa
                      I dont have A/C smh
                      Im going to try replacing the fan assembly first and see what that does and then add the thermostat.

thx guys

Comment

I had a similar problem on my EX. Stop and the temp gauge would guickly climb to high. Just goose the throttle (didn't even need to move the car) and it would immediately drop back to normal. I was losing coolant because of a head gasket leak. The engine was pushing air into the cooling system and causing coolant to be pushed out of the overflow tank.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                        X