Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil spraying on inside of hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil spraying on inside of hood

Hey I'm back again because of my brothers 91' exr. we noticed evidence of oil spraying onto the inside of the hood and it seems to coming from the hole in the block that is for checking the timing I think but I'm not sure. It is right above where the engine type is and it was missing the rubber plug which he now has. Here's a pic from before to show it. Is this possibly a bad main seal at the transmission leaking in there or is there somewhere else it could be coming from? Thanks for any help

I dnt think it would come from there that hole is were ur tranny and block connect u should check ur gaskets plugs and oil cap my old oil cap had a crack and i was getting oil sprayin my hood could possibly be the same problem

Comment

I'm ganna go take another look around under there but I think all that stuff is solid

Comment

Just try and find some wet oil any were and its probably ur problem

Comment

First step is to clean the bay and remove all oil. Then with the car idling look for the leak with the hood up.

A rear main seal leaks out the motor not the transmission and would be coming out of the bottom of the motor on the bell housing cover. There is nearly no way it would be coming out the timing hole en masse.
          Last edited by wildBill83; 07-27-2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks for the tips wildbill. It must be coming from somewhere else so I will clean it up and take a look.

Comment

In most places there is only a few inches of clearance between the hood and any engine or components. Observe where the majority of the spray seems centered on the hood and focus on the parts beneath that zone.

Comment

i noticed the same thing on my 92 and after some cleaning and driving i found it was comin from the seals behind my timing cover and crank seal so when my car was running the oil was being flung by the belt. some of it was making its was to the center of my hood and also near the side of the motor on the drivers side

Comment

my guess is, leaking oil from distributor , and or you put one of those mini air filters/breather on your valve cover.

Comment

Only time I ever saw oil under side of the hood is when the PS pump was leaking.......... on a car.......
                    It could have been a Civic......
                    A&P-IA

Comment

First id check the oil cap, then see if dip stick is seated properly. Next check pcv grommet, check the dist for leaks, maybe if the valve cover gasket is busted it could leak on to your timing belt if your timing cover is off itll prob fling oil everywhere.
                      USDM EX

Comment

If you have a bad enough rear main seal leak it will get on the flywheel and shoot out that hole for sure. Ask me how I know lol.

Comment

could possibly be a bad pcv, causing to much pressure blowing out the dip stick.
                          And I'd say no to the flywheel heck that transmission is very clean.
                          "Self Renewed"

Comment

I still haven't got to clean the oil up on the engine/transmission and look for the leak but I think most of the oil was on the passenger side but my brother cleaned it off the inside of the hood so I cant show a pic
                            Last edited by 92exrkid; 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I had a del sol with oil on the underside of the hood that came from a broken valve cover bolt in the head... the top half of the bolt was just sitting in the hole in the valve cover wobbling around. You might check that.
                              Last edited by soundthecymbals; 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X