Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22Chris : 1991 GMC Sonoma

Guess what happened!

5/6 drop with some trans am GTA mesh wheels on the way.

Ordered center link, idler arm, all four tie rods, upper ball joints, lower control arms, valve cover & intake manifold gaskets, full tune up parts, and an o2 sensor. Going to summit tomorrow to get 2" spindles, 3" drop springs, 3" lowering leafs, and 3" drop blocks. Going to get some Belltech drop shocks soon.
    Last edited by F22Chris; 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM.

You sold the VW already? wow that was quick!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      You sold the VW already? wow that was quick!
      Yup. Apparently I had the only 5-door Mk2 for sale in the south, so my phone was blowing up like 15 minutes after I posted it to CL.

Gonna drop a 4.8L in this eventually. I'm waiting on the mail for the basic shit. Got the drop stuff already from Summit, and RA has my front end coming.

Comment

Seller was a scumbag. Changed the oil before he showed it to me, and said it was fine. Today it started to get hot, and the oil is milky! So the intake gaskets are bad. I asked him like 4 times.. It's all fixable, but damn dude.. Would've been GREAT to know before I drove it around risking engine failure. Lesson learned! Might get a 4 bolt main 350 SBC instead of the 4.8
        Last edited by F22Chris; 09-30-2017, 01:50 AM.

Comment

4.3s make those small trucks move when paired with a WC T5 and 3.42s. Someone tried to steal my sierra on tuesday and i am still trying to get my SH*T running again.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

It's never easy man... looking forward to this one

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Got a butt load of parts in the mail.

Gonna drain & replace the slightly watery oil, and take it to the shop so I can do a compression test, intake gaskets, and head gaskets if needed.

Parts for these cars are so cheap it's kind of crazy. The complete tune up, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, complete steering setup, and upper balljoints/lower control arms were a little under $250 using nearly all OEM AC Delco or better parts. The gaskets are Meyle, and the upper ball joints are Proforged.

I got (from Summit) 2" DJM drop spindles, 3" DJM lowering springs, 3" Belltech drop leafs, and 3" drop blocks from O'reillys. There is a dude/dudet in E.Dublin selling the GTA Trans Am wheels that I talked down to $75, so I'm going to get those & new tires soon.

It's gonna get fun here soon! I'll take pics of everything as this is my first mini truck, and I want to share the fun.
              Last edited by F22Chris; 09-30-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                4.3s make those small trucks move when paired with a WC T5 and 3.42s. Someone tried to steal my sierra on tuesday and i am still trying to get my SH*T running again.
                I'm sorry man.. I wish I was out there to lend a hand, you've been nothing but an awesome person to me, and it pisses me off that somebody wronged you like that. I agree on the 4.3's. They're basically a 5.7 with two cylinders removed. Mine is the crappy 60* 2.8 with a BW T5. I can't seems to find a 4.8, so I might go 5.7 four bolt with a super T10 or T56 if I can come up with the cash.
                Last edited by F22Chris; 09-30-2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  It's never easy man... looking forward to this one
                  It really isn't, but it's ALWAYS a fun learning experience.

Edit: Also, I'm hooked. The clutch pedal feel is great, the brakes are fantastic now that I replaced the wheel cylinders & adjusted the shoes, and the truck goes without me having to floor it. If it can all stay this way with more power, it's gonna be amazing.
                  Last edited by F22Chris; 09-30-2017, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    It really isn't, but it's ALWAYS a fun learning experience.

Edit: Also, I'm hooked. The clutch pedal feel is great, the brakes are fantastic now that I replaced the wheel cylinders & adjusted the shoes, and the truck goes without me having to floor it. If it can all stay this way with more power, it's gonna be amazing.
                    A rebuildable 5.3 block can be had for under $100 and if you use 4.8 pistons you can get a high compression iron based L33 variant minus the 243 heads. i had been considering a S10 with a 4.8 using a WCT5 and 3.73 or 3.96 since i believe the T5 should handle the higher RPM torque on the 4.8 vs the SBC motors.

Comment

I have been reading on the T5's, and if I used the BW, it would more than likely break due to the power levels. I think the WC's came in Fox's right? Can those handle 350-400? I'll have to do my research on that.. maybe pair it with an 8.8

Comment

That might be one of my favorite pickups ever. The front end is just so mean looking!
                        I'm actually surprised you're not going to turn it into a Syclone clone (Sy-clone? ) I bet someone makes copies of the body panels and flares.

Comment

Got the milky oil situation taken care of.

Gaskets were toasted.

Got a nice bent pushrod.

Did a tune up, and all six of the plugs looked like this or worse. I'm thinking these are what came on the car off the lot. I've never seen plugs this bad.

So far so good! Tomorrow I'm dropping it. I'm gonna do the steering components & balljoints as well. I went in and put some red loctite on the 4 steering wheel bolts to fix the loose tooth that it once was.
                          Last edited by F22Chris; 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

TA mesh wheels will look awesome on that! Love the black too
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                              I have been reading on the T5's, and if I used the BW, it would more than likely break due to the power levels. I think the WC's came in Fox's right? Can those handle 350-400? I'll have to do my research on that.. maybe pair it with an 8.8
                              Actually ALL T5 were weak from factory but the WC(world class) was slightly different from the regular T5(both came on F-bodies), the main difference however is that they sell upgrade kits for the World class version made to handle power levels equal to or surpassing those of the TKO. Then lets not forget the fact that the T5 weights about 77 pounds so for weight reduction this will be the way to go.
                              Last edited by Crankshaft; 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X