X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akebono VS Nissin

Akebono Calipers VS Nissin Calipers
    Whenever you go to the parts store or shop online for brake pads, brake lines or even new calipers, your final selection is "What brand of calipers?" So whats up with the two different calipers, what makes them different, and why should you care?
    First, if you are simply wanting to know what to look for so you can get to the parts store to order the parts; but dont give a crap about why they are different, here are the comparisons of what to look for on the outside surface of the caliper.

Nissin - "Nissin"

Akebono - "triangle shapes"

What are the differences? Is one better than the other?
    (excuse the fact that these are dirty as can be, got inspired for this thread last minute, and these were just sitting in the garage.)

Akebono Caliper

Nissin Caliper

Caliper Comparison

*Most obvious difference is that spring on the Nissin. In my opinion, more unneeded parts are more parts that can break.
    *Akebono also seems thicker (has good and bad, more heat to dissipate, but stronger if they are same metals)

Akebono Bracket

Nissin Bracket

Bracket Comparison

*Different on how "floating calipers" attach to bracket
    ---Akebono Caliper to bracket bolt is longer, and whole thing "floats"
    ---Nissin bolt is smaller, and attaches to another "sleeve" which "floats" So again, nissin has 2 parts where 1 would work just fine, more to break.

*Nissin/Akebono MUST be used with their respective brackets for this reason.

Nissin Pad Wear Issue

Pad Wear Issue (Nissin)
    *This pad was taken off my car after I swapped my Nissin calipers over to Akebono. Happened on both sides of car, and both pads w/in each caliper.

The right side of the picture is the actual Pad Material(what sits on rotor)
    The left side is the backing plate
    The red line is the outside edge of the pad(closest to outside of rotor)
    Yellow area is the inside edge of the pad(closest to the axle nut)
    Circled area is a LIP of extra brake pad.

It seems that the "extra" spring that was on the Nissin caliper(see pic above) has worn down over the years, letting the pad rub off the edge of the rotor. It may have been possible to just bend the spring out so it pushed down more on the pad, but I decided to go with akebono, only way you can mess that up is cross-threading the bolts.

*The circled part isnt the only part that was hanging over the edge, it was all the way around, but its too blury on the part nearest the camera.

Other Advantages:
    Higher performance pads, ex. Hawk HPS pads only available for Akebono

Other Findings:
    Akebonos were MOSTLY found on sedans
    Nissins MOSTLY found on coupes.
    *As you can see, "mostly" is the word since there are the few random ones out there. This could be from factory or from aftermarket replacement, so dont assume, make sure you check.

The information in this post is believed to be true, but is only backed up by my opinion. Attempt any How-to's, DIY's or advice at your own risk, stay safe, and remember to use jack stands, not just a jack.
    Last edited by aero; 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM.

Thanks for the great info.
    1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
    2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
    3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
    4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
    5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

If coupe are suppose to be the sport version of the accord why ddid they get crappy nissan caliber? honda engineer must have a good reason to use nissan design? from what stated above akobono caliber is way better /stronger/less part/more aftermarket then nissan. and it should be a easy direct swap right? just buy the bracket/caliber and I can swap rfom nissan to akebono? is there any real stoping power diff from the 2 caliber??
      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
        If coupe are suppose to be the sport version of the accord why ddid they get crappy nissan caliber? honda engineer must have a good reason to use nissan design? from what stated above akobono caliber is way better /stronger/less part/more aftermarket then nissan. and it should be a easy direct swap right? just buy the bracket/caliber and I can swap rfom nissan to akebono? is there any real stoping power diff from the 2 caliber??
        Not sure why there was even 2 different ones in the first place. If my pads werent dragging off the edge of my rotor, I would have probably kept them; but they were, so they were replaced.

If you wanted to switch over, yeah, you just need the caliper and bracket.

Difference in braking power, nothing noticeable. I got brand new OEM Honda akebono calipers/brackets for 50 bux, so I didnt really have a choice not to

edit: but although coupes are meant to be "sportier," a sedan would be expected to be hauling much more weight around versus the coupe.

Comment

Thanks for the write-up. Glad I inspired somebody!

I think that when I went to get brake pads awhile back and the guy behind the counter asked, "Akebono or Nissin?" I said, "Yes!" ... and got lucky. LOL

Now, I know.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

keep in mind all rear discs on hondas were and still are nissin...

Comment

I would also like to point out that Akebono uses 17mm bolts/pins for the braket-to piston where Nissin uses 14mm. In case you pull some off in a junkyard make sure you take those bolts/pins as well if you're doing an Akebono swap.
              Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
              -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
              MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
                Nissin.
                To-Do List for Today
                Be Awesome

Comment

I'd like to mention that honda still uses nissin calipers on all there sport bikes (CBR's and whatnot) so there must be something good about them. L8r
                  Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                  01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord
                    I'd like to mention that honda still uses nissin calipers on all there sport bikes (CBR's and whatnot) so there must be something good about them. L8r
                    nissin also manufactures the Spoon calipers you commonly see on JDMed out cars. Im sure this is just a design flaw . . . or something of that nature.
                    -Mark-
                    CB7
                    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                      nissin also manufactures the Spoon calipers you commonly see on JDMed out cars. Im sure this is just a design flaw . . . or something of that nature.

aaahhhh i just found my new sig
                      fuck the bitches that stole my car jan/1/2006@7am from montesano wa updated: The Warrens from Malone Wa were found guilty for possesion of stolen property in the 1st*and were ordered to pay $2489.69 in restitution, only cause the shell was not found

R.I.P.

Vouches from: Snailin91, Caution, 2G6, Jdmf23accord, Boosted_StinkyNuts

Comment

Anyone know more about why Nissin is used?
                        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
                          Anyone know more about why Nissin is used?
                          Can't prove it but if I had a guess, cost...The akebono probably made it on sedans partly because they were cheaper...more sedans were produced, and the "sportier" coupe got nissins, because less made..a little more cost was ok and they probably performed better, at least in theory...

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

I asked for rear pads and the guy said akebono or nissin. why is there an option if they are all nissin. and are you positive they are all nissin?

My Members Ride Page

Comment

yea MH doesnt say Akebono or Nissin for the rear disc brakes....but for the fronts it says Akebono for my 93 Se....

So i dunno

Comment

Working...
                              X