Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

DIY boostleak test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY boostleak test

OKay everyone since noone hasnt covered this im going to. In order to make sure that everyone is up to speed like me i figure why not. Sure so you say you want boost and now you have it.

But are you sure that you are running at peak top shape and that your precious boost isnt being well used and not wasted. Well fear not im going to show you how to boostleak your car .

Now a boostleak is when you have a leak of optimized pressure that supposed to be optimal for the car to run properly and get the power that its properly desired. Any leak in boost is bad when it comes to turbo and even N/a cars. It can trigger a number of things that would make your car run like crap. It can mainly affect things like:

-gas-mileage
    -spark blow out consistanly cut due to computer safeguarding itself over a certain limit in the rpm range.
    -fuel delivery
    -computer calibration pulled timing
    =basically lowered hp and torque
    overall in time engine damage

So to counteract it lets perform a boostleak test. Here are some of the tools you will need:

1 pvc endcap it should look like this

1 silicon coupler and bicycle valve stem

all parts can be found from home depot and autozone and lets not forget the jb-quick for a nice seal to make sure there isnt any leaks

heres what yoru end product should look like when your down. You must first drill a hole in the pvc end-cap wide enough for the valve bicycle stem to fit in through nice and snug.

Then jbquick weld the inside and outside of the pvs end-cap. Then place the pvc end-cap insice the pvc silicon coupler. When your down it should look like this

Then now we are ready to proceed. Now you attach the end of the open side of the boostleak tester to your inlet side of the turbo like so

You then want to attach a nice air compressor to it like so
    Once you get to a certain optimized pressure say 5-6 psi on your boostguage or more should need no-more than 7 psi.

But and I quote :BOOSTLEAK TEST THE CAR WITH THE CAR OFF!!! DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT WITH THE CAR ON. I will not be responsible for someone elses screw up you been warned.

Now lets finish this up when your boostleak testing when you reach a certain psi nomore than 7 psi needed. You leave the boostleak tester on the turbo clamp it down as tight as the clamp would allow with the air compressor attached to it. You shouldnt have any leaks on the tester. While its pumping air in the chargepipe you should check for any distinctive hissing sounds.

Distinctive hissing sounds and slight air openings in the system are considered boostleaks. You can prevent boostleaks by getting better couplers and t-bolt clamps which you can find at your local autopart store . Once your done you shouldnt hear any leaks or feel any leaks once your done and get your car set you shouldnt have any problems holding boost. Dont forget to tightendown what you gotta tighten down and make sure theres no leaks in the system. Goodluck and be safe I ask for a sticky. This is my contribution to the cb7tuner community to make sure everyones running right.
    Last edited by h22sparkle; 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM.

Very nice write up!
    R.I.P Rex 10/10/97-08/06/09
    There aren’t enough words in this world to say how much you will be missed. love you buddy!

Comment

i second sticky nice right up and have been seeing all kinds of problems with ppl haveing boost leak problems

93 EX COUPE, F22A6 turbo project
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...45#post1615845
      96 lexus sc300 DD
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143563

back from basic.... off to ait.... CB still being worked on i have mad plans for it .. sorry cant tell its on the hush hush for now but all i can say in somewhere around 500 hp soon to come..

Comment

very good writeup, i should do this.

except it only focuses on the compressor, IC, and piping (which is indeed where mostly all the boost leaks occur)
        i was tryna figure out where i was loosing ~5psi from boost from, til i found my turbo-manifold gasket blew a hole in it

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

Originally posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
          very good writeup, i should do this.

except it only focuses on the compressor, IC, and piping (which is indeed where mostly all the boost leaks occur)
          i was tryna figure out where i was loosing ~5psi from boost from, til i found my turbo-manifold gasket blew a hole in it
          You say turbo manifold gasket if the turbo is attached to the manifold the leak should reveal itself there too. All of that is pressure like the turbo, manifold,charge-pipes and vacuum-lines too

Comment

how would it possibly find that leak? the compressor and turbine aren't connected by any tubes that would transfer the air pressure.

if you put the air into the inlet of the compressor, it'll go thru the compressor into the IC piping, to the IC, and finally to the throttle body. there's no way for the air pressure to go from the cold side of the system to the hot side. ya dig?

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

Originally posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
              how would it possibly find that leak? the compressor and turbine aren't connected by any tubes that would transfer the air pressure.

if you put the air into the inlet of the compressor, it'll go thru the compressor into the IC piping, to the IC, and finally to the throttle body. there's no way for the air pressure to go from the cold side of the system to the hot side. ya dig?
              Well im giving an example it can boostleak test through to meet the exhaust manifold gasket in other words thats a turbo manifold gasket. Do ya dig well mine has tubes that transfer pressure so not all cars are the same so please keep that in mind.
              Last edited by h22sparkle; 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM.

Comment

you could also clamp this thing onto your muffler tip and test the exhaust side for leaks.....
                Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
                  you could also clamp this thing onto your muffler tip and test the exhaust side for leaks.....
                  maybe if i had a single exhaust lol. Itll work for yall and other cars but not for me lol

Comment

this will work as long as none of the cylinders intake and exhaust valves are in overlap. but if you have overlap at the position the motor stopped at pressure is gonna go right into the exhaust making you think you have a leak.
                    spin city

Comment

Working...
                    X