9mm vs 45, Glock vs XD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9mm vs 45, Glock vs XD

Anyone been on reddit? Let’s do this like ELI5 (Explain like I’m 5)

I’m now in a position where I can buy myself a pistol, and it’s time to do some research.
    I’ll be at it all day, but I’d like to hear some opinions here too.
    .45 vs 9mm, and why?
    What do you prefer for makes? I’m gravitating towards XD or a Glock, but I’m up for suggestions.

If needed, please ELI5 your ammo explanations.

Edit: I have several long guns already, but no handguns.
    I am familiar with all the aspects of long guns.
    Last edited by GeoffM; 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

A 9mm has "slow down" power
    A .45 has "stopping" power
    A 50 cal hand cannon aka desert eagle has "limb removal" power.

Remember though, if someone is at range then they see you pull a gun odds are they will stop and peace out. Never pull your gun if theirs is already out because you're already at a disadvantage and odds are, they will start firing in a panic.

I prefer H&K firearms, a little pricey but top notch. I'd stay away from Ruger as my buddy had one and after he had clean it, and loaded it to put away, the safety malfunctioned and put a bullet through his dishwasher and into the metal drum of the washing machine. Luckily, the drum stopped it from going into the adjacent apartment.

Practice rounds are just plain round tipped.

Hollow Point rounds looks like practice range except it's snipped at the tip and indented with tiny little grooves at the nose. It's meant to go in leaving a bullet sized hole and when it comes out the back it leaves a big gulp sized hole.

Armor piercing rounds are illegal I believe.

Comment

As Im a huge Smith & Wesson fan i must suggest you also look into the M&P line of firearms. It's very comparable to the Glock and XD in both price and performance. As far as caliber goes... Its more a personal preference. The 9mm is nice because it gets the job done with minimal recoil and the ammo is often on the cheap side. 45 is a great round because of its stopping power and the recoil is also very minimal because that caliber has more of a "blow back" kind of recoil vs the 9mm that has a bit of a "muzzle flip" recoil. One other option to look into is the 40s&w. Its like your happy medium caliber. It has the muzzle flip of a 9mm but the stopping power more like the 45. Another +1 for the 40 is that if your market is anything like mine locally... Everybody has either a 9mm or a 45 so ammo is still a pain to find. I usually have no problem finding 40s&w. As a matter of fact... Im the only person out of my usual group who has a decent stockpile on ammo.

At the end of the day though its all up to what suits you better. You gotta test fit several different guns to see what fits your hands better. And then you gotta get out to the range and see which caliber best suits you. Nobody can make your mind up for you so its best to explore several different options before dropping $500 onto something you might end up hating.

Comment

owner of an xd40 and an m&p 40-I personally think the xd is a nicer looking line of weapons but difference in performance is minimal.

As for the "stopping" vs "slowing" someone down, hell, I dunno. You shoot someone they're gonna stop. .22 kills people more than most other guns on the street. Like 4th on the list.

So, yeah, while size matters, skill is much more important. You could pop someone 5 times in a 3" circle from 25' with a .22 pistol, and they'll stop no two ways about it. Shoot them once with a .22 and they're going to stop.

I've been shot. Twice actually. Getting shot sucks(go figure right?)

For personal pleasure/protection, I think the 9mm is where its at. Easy to control when rapid firing. Plenty of power to stop someone while being easy to handle when firing rapidly.

My .02

XD makes a nicer looking weapon. Gloc is a nice brand as well and there really isn't anything bad I can say about their line of weapons, but I think the xd is a better looking weapon.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I don't have a lot of info to share, and I'am not going to ely5....

but...

I have my eyes set on a Sig P229DAK

Used all over the world by everyone from the Secret Service to the Navy Seals and the NJSP.

Has the beneft of DAK(Double Action) and also can switch out the barrel to shoot either .22 LR, 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 SIG. So makes accquiring Ammo much easier.

Also ridiculously easy to clean.

Little pricey but I think it way makes up for it by its versatility and it's reliability.

Comment

Don't mean to threadjack, but while we're at it, any reviews on Walther? I've been looking at the PPQ and P99, and yes it's because they're in James Bond Movies....
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
              Don't mean to threadjack, but while we're at it, any reviews on Walther? I've been looking at the PPQ and P99, and yes it's because they're in James Bond Movies....
              Good quality weapon. I had a p99 before I sold 95% of my gun collection and it was among my favorites. Little finicky when taking apart for cleaning and putting back together, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I did have jams occasionally, which is what provoked me to do a thorough cleaning. Its also possible I found it finicky from lack of skill in that dpt. Who knows.

My experiences with it though.

9mm ftw though. You can rapid fire a tighter circle(as a novice) and the gun is easier to handle quickly, which to me really matters in the event you actually have to use it.
              Originally posted by wed3k
              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

My personal favorites

9mm - Walther P99
                .45 - H&k .45

I agree with what BurtonRiderT6, however, a well placed round is deadly no matter what caliber, you can dispatch someone with a .22 instantly if its in the head. I guess it comes down to how many times you want to pull the trigger.

P99 was the most accurate 9mm i ever fired and from what i hear the PPQ is supposed to be more impressive under rapid fireing.
                -I thought the PPk was in the James Bond movies.-
                Last edited by tutsuo; 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM.
                Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
                den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
                These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

There's alot of variables involved in eliminating a threat with a 22. Though its possible... Its very hard because shot placement is key. I mean think about it... Jodi Arias shot Travis Alexander in the head from a few feet away with a 32 caliber and he still survived until she gave him the Cuban necktie. But once again it all boils down to personal preference. Get out there and try some guns out and pick what suits you.

Comment

Perhaps it's just in my area but alot of stores don't allow you to try guns out. You either want it or you don't is the status quo.
                    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

The PPK was the bond gun.

And in the end, the gun you choose is your choosing. We are all somewhat biased because of the gun we prefer or the gun we have. Ammo prices vary by location and if you buy in bulk it is way better. A box of 9mm or 45mm will run around 20-30$ in cali at a local gun shop or sporting store.

The 45 and the 9 are both great calibers. Now just pick which specific gun and compare them. Pros, cons, jams, and everything else

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                      Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                      Originally posted by bmxicansd
                      so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Perhaps it's just in my area but alot of stores don't allow you to try guns out. You either want it or you don't is the status quo.
                        I'm not sure of other states but here in Virginia pawn shops sell many sidearms, we have a few indoor Ranges that you can actually rent guns from them. OP might want to look into that and see if they do that in his area. One way to try out a gun. Another way is to go to a Range with a friend and try theirs if they have one.

Comment

Based off my research, I'm thinking this is my plan so far:

To the local gun shops. Compare prices. Leaning towards 9mm so I can put more lead down range more often for cheaper.

See if I can test fire some of them. Grip and feel will be a big factor.

Checked online for prices, seems like I can get a XD 9mm for about the same price as Glock .45
                          Obviously in store and licensing fees will still apply.

Lots of good advice in here guys. Thank you.
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

You can't hold the gun and see how well it fits you grip? Id never buy a firearm i couldn't at least hold and rack the slide a few times first.

Comment

The thing that turns me away from liking Glock is the awkward grip angle. If you have been using other handguns extensively before this, it is weird and throws off my aim. If you have little experience shooting handguns, you would be great with the Glock, but every other gun will feel odd. I think that is the reason why the Police in my city changed to Sigs.
                              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Working...
                              X