This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Official Weight Reduction thread*

There may be another thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I'm gonna make this one a sticky, as wen can continue to add to it.

Please keep all posts on topic. Add suggestions, ask questions to have something further explained, and that's it. No comments like "well that's dumb!" Anything like that will be deleted (and I hate deleting posts, so please just don't do it! ) I will keep anything that addresses any major issues with a previous suggestion (safety and structural issues, for example)

If anyone can provide an estimated weight savings for anything listed, it would be appreciated!

The modifications will be classified in 3 levels.
    Level 1 will be totally free. Basically just removal of stuff. Very little skill involved.
    Level 2 involves purchasing lighter bolt-on parts.
    Level 3 involves major modification (welded parts, etc). Anything that makes the car illegal to drive on the street is also in this grouping.

Ok, on with the info! I'll be adding to this as we go.

Level 1:
    Back seat removal - 40lbs
    Front passenger seat removal - 44 lbs
    Spare tire removal - 28lbs
    Jack removal - 8lbs
    Trunk floor removal (board) - 5lbs
    Power steering removal - ?lbs
    Air conditioning removal (compressor, lines, brackets) - 84lbs
    Cruise control removal (non-DX) - ?lbs
    Audio system revoval (stock) - front speakers - 2lbs each
    Door panel removal - rear - 7lbs each
    Window regulator removal (all but driver's window, you need that to race!) - ?lbs
    Carpet removal - ?lbs
    Glove box removal - 6lbs
    Center console removal - 2lbs
    Rear seatbelts - 3 lbs each
    Near-empty fuel tank - 6lbs per gallon
    DRIVER weight reduction -
    Headliner removal - ?lbs
    Soundproofing tar removal - ?lbs
    ECU holddown plate - 6lbs
    Seatbelt ECU - 6lbs
    Power antenna and motor - 14lbs
    Underbody splashguards - ?lbs
    Interior plastic trim - ?lbs
    Headliner - ?lbs
    Tailgate lower trim panel: 3 lbs
    -267 so far! (going by things that EVERYONE has in their CB7)

Level 2:
    Carbon fiber hood - ?lbs (stock hood is 54lbs)
    Carbon fiber trunk lid - ?lbs
    Carbon fiber front fenders - ?lbs
    Lightweight racing seat - ?lbs
    Lightweight exhaust system - ?lbs
    Lightweight intake system - ?lbs
    Lightweight battery - Stock - 43 > Odessey pc680 - 11 lbs
    Lightweight radiator - ?lbs
    Lightweight pulleys - ?lbs
    Lightweight flywheel (aside from other performance gains, it DOES weigh less!) - Stock is 17lbs.
    Lightweight wheels (I'm told 16" is best. Any info on the tire/wheel weight issue?) - ?lbs
    Skinny rear wheels... You don't need much back there for a straight line!
    Replace front seatbelts with racing harness - ?lbs
    JDM Headlights (lighter than stock glass) - ?lbs
    Stock Rear Springs + Shocks: 13.8 lbs each - Type II Rear Coilovers: 9 lbs each
    Stock Front Springs + Shocks: 12.8 lbs each - Type II Front Coilovers: 8 lbs each

Level 3:
    Lexan windows (or other lightweight materials) - ?lbs
    Carbon fiber doors - ?lbs
    Carbon Fiber rear 1/4 panels - ?lbs
    Removal of bumper supports - ?lbs
    Removal and/or replacement of door supports - ?lbs

The stock CB7 weighs roughly 2850lbs. What can we get it down to?

I like this idea. Alot of people don't really focus too much on the weight factor of the speed equation, mainly ppl focus on total power production.

A few weeks ago i took out a few things from my car and weighed them:

The backseat(2-door, if that matters...) has 2 parts. The top part i weighed in at 28 lbs (includes the carpet in the trunk, because it connects to the back part of the seat). The bottom part weighed in at 12 lbs.

The cardboard thing that covers the spare tire is 5 lbs.

The 4 floor mats(keep in mind my front 2 are rubber ones, which might weigh more then stock carpet ones...) are 10 lbs.

The jack and tools are 8 lbs total.

The spare tire is 28 lbs.

In a bit i am going to go out and take the various parts of the interior out and weigh them as well, and i will post their weights.

PS: For the scale im using a common digital bathroom scale, and taking the differance between my weight alone and my weight with the object, so these might be off by a pound or so...
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - The new project
    1991 Honda Accord - Point A to point B car
    2006 Kawasaki Z1000 - The toy

Comment

Take one of the front seats out and weigh it.... heh...

Those are by far the heaviest individual items I have taken out... they have to be a good 50ish+ lbs each...
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Deevergote has them at 44 lbs a pop, which is what i've weighed them in at as well.

As for the glove box, i just weight it at 6 lbs.

The front console is 2 lbs.

Haynes has too many steps for me to attempt to remove the door panels for now, maybe this weekend when i dont have gobs of homework.

Comment

always run with 3 gallons of gas, thats alot of weight if u had 17 gallons full =)
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
            always run with 3 gallons of gas, thats alot of weight if u had 17 gallons full =)
            That is a good idea, 3 gallons would be good for dragging or track use. If i remember right, a gallon of gas weighs about 6 lbs, so with only 3 gallons of gas you'd save about 80 some lbs. For more daily driver, only filling up half way each time would save around 50 lbs at the very least and still have ya able to go a week or so without filling up.

Another idea would be to drain your windshield washer fluid, that'd save at least a pound or so...
            Last edited by wb7h; 09-09-2004, 07:28 PM.

Comment

fine take out the oil
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

im being sarcastic haha

Retro!

Hater

Comment

what about taking out headliner,rear speaker,rear deck,review mirrors, ztech you funny shit you

Comment

id get some racing seats ,carbonfiber hood, I already took out the a/c,cruise control,powersteering, the rear seats dont matter they are very light. I wanna take out the spare but i have alotta bad luck right now so its stayin in no jack because the thing broke.

Comment

Does anyone know on average how much good racing seats for the CB7 would weigh over the stock ones? Howabout with a carbon fiber hood?

Comment

My racing seats are no name brand off of Ebay, and they weigh 28 lbs a piece with brackets and all. The stock seat belt mechanism weighs a good amount. If nobody does it soon I'll get it weighed because I have mine out. My harnesses for my racing seats only weighed about 2 pounds so I know it reduced a lot of weight just switching belts.

Comment

If you starve yourself for a week, depending on how fat you are....you could lose 100 lbs.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

inside the trunk and under the backseat and under the carpet(basically to the core of the car)there is this tar stuff covering everything
                            im sure if you scraped all of it off you'd end up hacking away lots of weight throughout the car.

are the manual seatbelts or the automatic ones that come over you when your car starts heavier?

and if you take out your back seat, take out your back seat belts
                            ive heard the whole roll of seatbelt and it little roller, and the brackets that hold it together(the whoole assembly ) can be very hefty
                            92 lx
                            automatic
                            slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

I've weighed the stock steelies with tires, and with a decent amount of tread left they weighed about 40 lbs I think. My 16x7 Motegi rims with tires only weigh 34. I'm not 100% sure on the exact weight but the stock flywheel weighs somewhere between 17-19 lbs. My Clutchmasters lightweight one only weighs 9 lbs. The stock crank pulley is 5-6 lbs. The UR pulley is only 1-2 lbs. There are a couple things you left off of your list too. I took off all of the protective shielding from right under the front bumper and around the exhaust. I know it's a little thing, but you can also take off the grill of your car to save a little weight. I'm not sure on the weights of any of those though.

Comment

Working...
                              X