Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Troubleshooting lean condition on turbo H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point at which the car wants to stall is this point where the S.Trim is up, the battery is low, and the a/f is lean. With low rpms (especially coming to a stop) it's too much. Lot's of uncertainty there, haha

Comment

Got the ECU back. Buddy did the capacitor replacement kit on it. Wow, am i glad I sent it to a pro. I can solder, but it's not my day job. This guy went through every joint and re-did them. Great job. here's an example of before vs. after pic on just on one spot ....

I don't think this will change anything though....

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Got the ECU back. Buddy did the capacitor replacement kit on it. Wow, am i glad I sent it to a pro. I can solder, but it's not my day job. This guy went through every joint and re-did them. Great job. here's an example of before vs. after pic on just on one spot ....

I don't think this will change anything though....
        wow thats an amazing job.

Comment

Well.... i just want to throw thing car in the garbage now...

The car won't start now. It looks like it cannot read the IAT, MAP, ECT sensors. I asked the tuner if there was a warranty on the work on the ECU (ie- what if i get home and it won't start) and he said no. Sooo... pretty sure now the car is a dead brick unless I buy a new ECU

this....... really .. sucks.

Comment

Sounds like you're having a couple rough days....
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Can you throw it in my garbage? Apparently your car is boiling alive in space?

Who knows, maybe your ECU was the culprit to begin with and this is how the car is telling you..

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                Can you throw it in my garbage?
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Yaa. Dropped the ECU off at the tuners today and we had a good chat. He has a prelude there now he can test the ECU with. He's going to test my ECU and the S300 chip to determine the fault. We talked about the below pic for a good bit. And we both were thinking that the ECU may have been the culprit the whole time. The one thing that puzzles us is the battery voltage dropping (34sec). When the rpms drop it's normal for the lean condition but once the rpms level off it runs lean AND the battery voltage drops to 9V. There was no reason for this that we could determine. Remember this even happened with a brand new alternator and battery. He noted that the battery voltage signal is driven from the ECU and not a sensor, etc.

So fingers crossed. The ECU may be fried and I'll have to order another, re-install S300 and try again. Wish me luck.

Comment

Well then what fried the PCM to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                      Well then what fried the PCM to begin with?
                      It was never fried. Car ran fine for two years and then developed a lean condition at idle that I couldn't solve. But the car started and ran fine, drove it to the gas station , etc. Gave the ECU to tuner to have the capacitor replacement kit done as he recommended it. ECU returned and now doesn't work

So ya. I'm worse off now that I had the capacitor replacement kit done. We speculate the ECU may have been the culprit the whole time, but obviously the capacitor replacement kit didn't go as planned. We may never be able to prove it was the ECU.

Comment

Ya, ECU is dead. S300 is good.
                        Now the question is, when i get a replacement P28 do I sent it to the same guy for a capacitor replacement ?

Comment

Ya, ECU is dead. S300 is good.
                          Now the question is, when i get a replacement P28 do I sent it to the same guy for a capacitor replacement ?
                          I would say not! They really aren't that hard to solder. I have done many over the years. If you know anyone with computer soldering skills they could do it. I really only worry about the C14 cap anyway. You can get a full ECU chip kit with the C14 cap and installation instructions from Moates.net for $20. I could take a look around, I may still have a few chip kits here. I know I have a few ECU's
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                            I would say not! They really aren't that hard to solder. I have done many over the years. If you know anyone with computer soldering skills they could do it. I really only worry about the C14 cap anyway. You can get a full ECU chip kit with the C14 cap and installation instructions from Moates.net for $20. I could take a look around, I may still have a few chip kits here. I know I have a few ECU's
                            Ya, i'm going to get the ECU back and have a look at it. But I know this guy does this for pro. It's his daily job. I can solder, just not my daily job. We can almost assume no matter who touched it the ECU would of just died. Does seem odd though. At the same time the solder joints on this ECU were horrible! Long ago when i got it from that crap company we had to send it back as it was broken then. Sooo right now, I just need a known good ECU!

Does seem odd though, that it died after a capacitor replacement. Do P13s work for H22?? Can't remember... I have one of these here...

Comment

Does seem odd though, that it died after a capacitor replacement. Do P13s work for H22?? Can't remember... I have one of these here...
                              Odd indeed.

Yes the P13 is the stock ECU for the H22.
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                                Odd indeed.

Yes the P13 is the stock ECU for the H22.
                                (do you remember)
                                So I would need a P13 -> P28 VTEC solder kit, and then a S300 install kit too?

Comment

Working...
                                X