Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cylinder head bolt rounded off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head bolt rounded off.

So I'm taking off the head on a f22 and bolt #5 rounded off.
    It stripped the socket's teeth(12pt).

I've tried a hex socket and that didn't work. Then I tried one of those sockets designed to get off rounded off bolts/nuts but that just rounded it off even more.
    The 12 pt can still go on it but it spins when i put 40 lbs on it.
    Would i have to drill it and use a easy out or would that just snap?
    All because of the lump that's in the way for the exhaust bolt.
    I would post pictures but i have no idea how.

You could carefully grind it down to the next size down. Use a 6 point, not 12. Using a 12 point socket on a hex bolt head is just asking for it to strip. Otherwise, drilling it out is your only real option. I'd also be afraid of the drill snapping it, so I'd do that as a last resort.

Instructions for posting pictures can be found in the rules section, along with a few other things that would be good for you to know.

Comment

I have had 100&#37; success with MIG welding the head of an old stud to the top of the rounded off stud.

if you don't have access to a welder and going to the next size down socket doesn't work. Drilling or grinding the head off the stud will at least allow you to remove the head and get a set of vise grips on the remaining stud. Be very careful as the stud is a harder carbon steel and the head is the softer aluminum alloy. it doesn't take much to take a lot off the head if you slip with a drill or grinder.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where this bolt is located (or how much access you have to it), but I've always had success using a hammer and a chisel to back out stripped bolts or nuts.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

You're mad lucky if you get a head bolt out with a hammer and chisel.

Ghost has told you the tried and true method. Weld a nut, and bust it. Lol. Home Depot rents welders I believe. You can flux core it if you want, but be sure to get ALL the slag off and out of the head.

Comment

As said already, weld a nut or bolt head on there and break her loose.

No access to a welder? Ive had some luck with getting a real good bite on the fastener with some vice grips and using a pipe on the end of the pliers so break of rusty and stripped fasteners.

If you can clean all the oil off you MIGHT have luck with jb weld and a nut over the stripped out bolt head. Use a larger nut that fits over the bolt head and gob that crap on it and around it and wait.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X