Sorry I've been MIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I've been MIA

I haven't been around much the last couple of weeks, but as many of you know, I had a fire at my house on St. Patrick's Day. (Luck o' the Irish indeed...) The past two weeks have been an exhausting blur of cleaning crews, insurance adjusters, public advocates, building contractors, etc. We're almost back to some small sense of normalcy, but only insofar as we'll be back in the house tomorrow night. Inflatable mattresses will be the order of the day until new beds/mattresses come in, and replacing the rest of my stuff will be a long ordeal of money shuffling.

For those of you who have never had a claimable loss, here's how the deal works:

1) You make a list of everything you lost, listing model numbers, cost at time of purchase, and date of purchase. You also have to make and submit a list of the replacement cost for current comparable items. If you forget things, that's OK. The typical claim gives you up to 1 year to submit supplemental claims for review.

2) Your insurance company cuts you a check for the depreciated value of your lost property. (Depreciation value on personal property is 20% per year.)

3) You then use this nest egg to start replacing your valuables.

4) Once you receive whatever you've purchased with your available funds, you submit copies of the receipts to the insurance company.

5) They send you a check for the difference in cost between depreciated value and the replacement item, if applicable. This is how they save themselves from giving you money for things you decide you don't need anymore. If you don't replace it, you don't get full replacement value, just the depreciated value. As you can imagine, if you don't have a lot of capital (like me) it can take a long time to replace everything. We're getting an advance of $5G, which will cover beds, clothing and some miscellaneous expenses, but after that, it'll probably take the better part of a year to get everything settled satisfactorily. I'll be coming out somewhat on the winning end after it's all said and done, but it's a monumental amount of work, even for such a small claim.

There's a couple more steps I'll be taking, since I'll be reorganizing my possessions. Insurance policies specify that you MUST purchase COMPARABLE replacement items - NO UPGRADING. For instance, I don't really need 4 computers anymore, so first I'll order replacement items. (Up to the maximum allowable computer equipment coverage, which is $2500 per occupant. Too bad, since I had about $4500 worth of computer stuff, not even counting software.) Once they arrive, I won't open any boxes. (This saves me from restocking fees.) I'll submit copies of my receipts to the insurance company, then turn around and return all the stuff I won't be using. I'll then use that money to buy the item I REALLY want. In my case, instead of two laptops, two custom-built desktops, four car amplifiers and a set of components I'll never use, I'll be replacing everything with the new Hewlett-Packard HDX Dragon 20.1" widescreen laptop. Behold, 512MB discrete graphics, true HD resolution, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive space, and Blue Ray/Super-Multidrive.
    Last edited by Camurai; 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM.
    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Its good to know your back on your feet man!

oh, HP Dragon FTMFW!!

That thing costs more than my CB here!

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
    Honda Accord Euro-R
    Honda Odyssey Absolute
    Honda City I-DSi
    Honda Stream

Comment

Yikes, glad you're okay and recouping. Too drunk over St Patrick's Day?

What about items that are priceless like family heirlooms?

And returning those items are against insurance policy somehow aren't they?

Comment

yeah dealing with the insurance company was a PITA... since i live the the basement, i think it was two years ago when i firsted signed up, the entire basement was flooded. We're not sure who to blame but the local Fire department was going around checking hydrants that day. Anyhow the insurance cut us a check for 15K but i only got like 2K of that to replace the stuff in my bedroom.

Oh yeah, the insurance company later sends us a letter where they dropped coverage on us. had i known they would try that BS... i would have claimed every sock , boxer short and paperclip.

Comment

RIGHT?! We pay insurance companies for years, and when we need them, they drop us like a bad habit. Insurance is the biggest scam in the world.

Fortunately, no heirlooms were lost, and nothing I'm really heartbroken over. Most of that stuff was in the rest of the house, which was virtually untouched except for smoke and soot. It was an electrical fire, and it started while none of us were home. Since I tend to keep my door closed, the fire was starved of oxygen and pretty much just smoldered for awhile. When we got home and saw the amount of smoke, we called 911 immediately. It was a training night for our local fire department, so the response was impressive.
          ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
          '93 EX 5-speed coupe
          Short ram intake
          Tenrai Himoto catback
          Smashed front end
          Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Working...
          X