Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Muffler thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler thoughts

Hey, has anyone used a magna flow muffler with a 2.5" exhaust set up? How does it sound and how big of a tip did you go if you had or have one?
    To jdm or not jdm that is the question

Have you tried to youtube it? Are you going to put resonators in the exhaust, or a cat?

Comment

I currently have no cat or resonator in my car, it's a solid straight pipe
      To jdm or not jdm that is the question

Comment

Not having a cat on there is gonna make it sound funny and your exhaust will smell I suggest a cat also a 2.5 inch piping is more overkill then needed you can do 2 inch or 2 and a quarter and still have improved flow over stock also if you have no back pressure in exhaust you will also have no low end pull from engine
        " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

I've removed the cat on all of my cars and never noticed a funny smell :/ you're right about it sounding funny though - more raspy IMO; id definately recommend one of those resonator decat pipes if you're not worried about emissions/regulations.

I was seriously considering getting a magnaflow muffler for my car, theyre well built and good straight through design for best performance. I wanted a dual tip - like the stock EX but when I looked at the spacing of the twin outlet pipes on the universal mufflers; they are spaced too far apart and doesn't look right, I then looked at a single straight through
          http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11384
          Thinking about getting that one. Definately run a glass pack / hotdog resonator after the cat aswell to quiet it down and reduce the rasp

Comment

never said smell would be funny lol just that it would have a odor from it period, a cat does a good thing I never understood why people take them off it is a honda not a old muscule car also a decent cat can be put on for like $300 bucks that is not that bad
            " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Remove cat = less exhaust restriction = more powar.. ?
              At the expense of increased engine noise/rasp and having to do something with the sensor wire but meh
              As It's not illegal to remove your cat where I'm from (New Zealand) then its a cheap and easy way to increase output and fuel efficiency..

Comment

I have my catalytic converter removed for now, running straight pipes to the muffler, but that is not 100% by choice. It's too raspy, especially in the 1500-2250 rpm range. Until I weld up a resonator or glasspack with flanges on it, that's just the way it will sit. But I'll probably put it off until I figure my whole 4ws situation. A glasspack or resonator + exhaust tip make a huge difference on the way the exhaust sounds when you are trying to get rid of annoying sounds. It won't make it sound like a v8, but you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by greenhornet614 View Post
                  Hey, has anyone used a magna flow muffler with a 2.5" exhaust set up? How does it sound and how big of a tip did you go if you had or have one?
                  my BF had this same set up on his car with a 2 1/2 in tip. it sounded ok but personally i didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by NTYPE View Post
                    Remove cat = less exhaust restriction = more powar.. ?
                    At the expense of increased engine noise/rasp and having to do something with the sensor wire but meh
                    As It's not illegal to remove your cat where I'm from (New Zealand) then its a cheap and easy way to increase output and fuel efficiency..
                    thats not 100% accurate its been dyno test that having a cat or a hi cat will get you better performance than a test pipe or straight pipe you think your getting more power by removing the cat but you really dont dont understand why people always think that by removing the cat your is going to be "FASTER" do some research if you dont believe me

Comment

magna flow muffler with a 2.5&quot; exhaust set up

I'm currently an running a magna flow duel tip muffler with a 2.5" exhaust set up and to tell you the truth, its loud !!! Hope you dont mind the attention you will recieve from the cops.

Comment

Originally posted by pupildel View Post
                        thats not 100% accurate its been dyno test that having a cat or a hi cat will get you better performance than a test pipe or straight pipe you think your getting more power by removing the cat but you really dont dont understand why people always think that by removing the cat your is going to be "FASTER" do some research if you dont believe me
                        Well Google seems to think that removing the cat will give you a little bit more power, I did some research and couldn't find any evidence/dyno sheets to prove your argument, then again I couldnt find any REAL evidence to support a power gain with cat delete either... perhaps you could post a link or two?
                        Have you ever seen a race car with a catalytic converter?

Comment

Removing the cat might result in an additional 1-2hp. Not enough to feel.
                          If the car is to be driven on public roads, there is absolutely no reason to remove the cat. Especially in the US, where emissions laws are becoming more and more strict with each passing year. An extra 2hp isn't worth it. You'll "gain" more than that by doing a proper tuneup.
                          Removing the cat will cause the exhaust to be raspy/farty, it will smell terrible (and the exhaust will be far more toxic), it will pollute the environment more quickly (you alone, maybe not so much... but I've said this literally dozens of times on this site alone...), and it will inspire lawmakers to make it even more difficult for us to pursue our hobbies.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to jump through hoops to modify my car just because someone wanted an extra 2hp from their 125hp engine. It's already difficult enough in my state, where I have to pass an emissions inspection every 2 years.

If the car is going to be raced, and you want to squeeze out every last horsepower, get a cat that is flanged on both ends. Unbolt the cat in favor of a test pipe when running at the track. When you return from the track, replace the cat.

Comment

that the point i was trying to make 1-2 hp you wont feel shit with a hi flow cat you can get just about the same performance as you would if you had a test pipe really no worth getting a fines or even impoundment of your vehicles in some states.

unless you got yourself a fully build motor you not going to see any gain

Comment

Throw a cat back on, and weld up a 22" resonator with the Magnaflow....with all that, it should sound good. Maybe a bit loud for some people's taste, but it will have a good tone, and at least not be deafening.

Comment

Working...
                              X