Edit progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit progression

Just so you all know, I'm a fairly good photographer, but I'm somewhat of a n00b at Photoshop. I just haven't had the time to sit down and learn it. Between work, working on the car, spending time with a new nephew and taking photographs whenever I can, I just haven't been able to make much time to learn the ins and outs of the software. Weird, since I'm sort of a software nerd. (I have a degree in Network Engineering.)

Anyway, I wanted to post this up here to show a small progression in editing of an older image I took. The subject was my sister-in-law's brother-in-law. (Long story.) He never even realized I took the photo until I told him about it a year later.

My first try wasn't stellar, to say the least. Working from the original, I first converted it to B&W in the Channel Mixer. I turned the red channel way down, and used mostly blue & green channels. I feel this gives a much more visually impressive image. It tends to have more contrast, and offers much deeper shadows as opposed to the almost completely neutral red-dominated default. Once converted, I added a Curves layer, then sharpened the image. It was a step in the right direction, but note the blown-out highlights on the forehead and nose. There isn't much I can do about the nose, as the highlights were a bit blown in the original, and you can never recover info that's destroyed to begin with. I haven't gotten good enough at cloning to try to replicate that info yet, either.

I'm much happier with the results I got the second go-around. I used a little bit of the Dodge tool in the eyes to make them stand out, and a bit of the Burn tool to fill out the eyebrows, as the right one got a bit clipped due to the lighting. I used the Curves tool again, only with a more complicated curve this time to preserve the highlights. I sharpened again using the Unsharp Mask tool, only I played with the settings a bit to achieve the best effect. I ended up with settings of: Amount - 80%, Radius - 3.1 and Threshold - 0.

~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

u should make his hair white
    and face blue

jijij
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

really good job on that! the removal of those hi-lights on the forehead and nose worked great. im not sure if anything could be done about that but i wish you could see some more detail of the shirt collar. it looks like its pretty much all black. other than that i give it two
      The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
      Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
      Check out my JDM F22B swap
      Watch my CB7 video

Comment

I personally think the background is too out of focus... but great edit. Looks good.
        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
          I personally think the background is too out of focus... but great edit. Looks good.

that was the purpose
          So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

Originally posted by nghtrydr23
            that was the purpose
            x2. Nice picture man!

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

The background was supposed to be out of focus. I was using a 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open for an extremely short depth of field. This gives a sharp separation of the subject from the background.
              ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
              '93 EX 5-speed coupe
              Short ram intake
              Tenrai Himoto catback
              Smashed front end
              Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                The background was supposed to be out of focus. I was using a 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open for an extremely short depth of field. This gives a sharp separation of the subject from the background.

Do you use the metal 1.4 lens or the RS version one (55mm filter ring)? Nice bokeh anyways. What wide lens do you recommend for minolta if you mind me asking? I curently using tokina 20-35mm lens, and the quality is not good enough IMPO. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                X