Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

tire profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire profile?

so one of my plans is to put aftermarket rims/performance tires on for the warm spring/summer seasons. I have rims picked out, but if I wanna run a more performance oriented tire (say a yokohama s.drive), I have to change the profile size from what is "recommended". this is just an example:

on tirerack.com, they suggest that a 15x7 rim will take a 195/60R 15 (which im guessing is a stock size). could I run a thinner tire? say a 40-55? I could keep the width the same, I just don't want to have a fat looking stock size tire if I don't have to, especially if I wanna lower the car a couple inches. I guess in my head I have the mindset that a "thinner" profile tire will give me more room? less chance of rubbing?

idk. thoughts anyone?

If you are planning on running a larger size rim, then you will need to run a lower profile tire to keep the overall outer diameter the same,that way your speedometer will stay accurate. For example, if 195/60/15 is your stock size, then a 215/45/17 would be almost exactly the same outer diameter tire, but would be a bit wider and have a shorter sidewall.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

ahh I get what you're saying. the plan is to run a 15x7 rim. its just saying that a 195/50R 15 wont fit my car, which doesn't make sense to me. cuz it will fit. it will just be a thinner sidewall. im not worried about my spedo being off by a little bit

Comment

The stock tire for the EX 15x5.5 inch wheel is 195/60/15, so a 195 would be stretched on a 7 inch wheel. A 15x7 wheel should accept a wider tire. For your example, the Yoko S.drive comes in a max width of 205. Recommended wheel width is 6.5 but shows a range of 5.5 - 7.5.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          The stock tire for the EX 15x5.5 inch wheel is 195/60/15, so a 195 would be stretched on a 7 inch wheel. A 15x7 wheel should accept a wider tire. For your example, the Yoko S.drive comes in a max width of 205. Recommended wheel width is 6.5 but shows a range of 5.5 - 7.5.
          so do a 205/50r 15 on a 15x7 wheel?

Comment

According to tirerack, that could be done. The standard size tire for a 15x7 wheel would be 225/50/15 or 225/55/15, but there is only one tire in those sizes on TireRack and it is for racing and autocross only. There are more options if you move up to a 16 inch wheel.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

225 is crazy wide for a 7” wide wheel! I had 205-215 on a 7.5” wheel and that was plenty. 225 on a 7” would bulge over! Likely not dangerously so, but I’d imagine handling would be squishy.

205 should be just fine for a 7” wheel width. The aspect ratio would probably be higher for a 15” diameter. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but I’m thinking 55 or 60.

Ultimately, you want to retain the same overall diameter as stock.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                225 is crazy wide for a 7” wide wheel! I had 205-215 on a 7.5” wheel and that was plenty. 225 on a 7” would bulge over! Likely not dangerously so, but I’d imagine handling would be squishy.
                Just going by info on tirerack - does seem wide, 225 mm is 8.8 inches.

Comment

I’m surprised tire rack says that. They’re the ones that sent me 195 width for my 16x7 wheels a while back!

Though I will say that a beefy 225 width would look pretty cool, though rubbing may be an issue if lowered.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

205 should be just fine for a 7” wheel width. The aspect ratio would probably be higher for a 15” diameter. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but I’m thinking 55 or 60.

Ultimately, you want to retain the same overall diameter as stock.
                    225 is all I ran on my stock 8th gen Si wheels (7" wide). Depending on the tire itself you will be a bit flush with the wheel or slightly stretched.

Comment

I will probs stick with the 195. stick with the closest to stock profile size (so 50-55) thanks for the input everybody! much apprciated

Comment

Working...
                      X