Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How to fix your headlight switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix your headlight switch

Some time ago whenever I would turn on my headlights, my dashboard/gauge lights weren't working. If I fiddled with the switch I could tell the wiring was OK, but the switch was going bad.

From what I've read, this is a pretty common problem. Here's how you can fix it:

1. Take off the steering column covers.
    You don't need to remove the plastic under-dash cover.

Here's the actual screws you need to take out:

2. Get a small right-angle philips screwdriver and take out the two screws holding in the headlight switch. To pull out the switch, you'll need to pry back the plastic around the yellow circle.

3. Now unplug the connector from the back.

4. Get that SOB out of there. it helps if you lower the column all the way. This is what you should get.

5. Now comes the fun part. There are two screws on each side of the switch that need the come out, and unclip the front/back sections. You should see the below, but yours will probably have a ton of black crap on the contacts. Gotta clean that trash off. Get some fine grit sandpaper and sand the contacts a bit to get rid of the oxidation. Do the same thing for the contacts on the other half.

Before you close it up, make sure you put some vasoline on the contacts. This seals moisture out, prevents arcing, and prevents oxidation. Not a bad deal.

Hopefully this will save someone spending an afternoon out in the junkyard pulling an old switch; it's just going to need the same fix after time.

later!

This will be very useful to someone with this problem.
    Very good first post
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204
      This will be very useful to someone with this problem.
      Very good first post
      x2!
      Thanks!

...and WELCOME!

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Ah very nice
        I wonder if it it'd help my problem, can't quite see how it works from the pics. When I turn on my directionals, my headlights will blink off for a sec as I move the stalk. I've had to turn the switch back and forth a couple times to get my headlights back on. Not cool at night.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

damn 1 post and allready helping people out

props

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

NIICE! someone move this to the DIY section ASAP!

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Also, you can do this for the windshield wiper switch. When I cleaned it out, I found that my wiper fluid pump magically starting working!

Also found that you don't need a right-angle screwdriver, just crank the wheel over till you can cram a regular philips in there.

Comment

welcome! maybe from now-on, all new members must post a DIY shotly after signing up, or worth 10 posts towards 30. you cant post in the diy yet, but I bet Deev sees this, and it should be moved. i might check my switches out, there not acting up, but i bet they are dirty
                you'll love my nuts!

Comment

Working...
                X