Lower Strut Mount Bushing Replacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Strut Mount Bushing Replacing

Hey guys, I was looking to finally get a set of coilovers but, I was doing some research beforehand & came across a few threads about people having LARGE issues with the Rear Strut Mount Bushing.

One thread I came across, the member basically just removed the rubber bushing but not the outer metal sleeve that goes around the bushing. He then used some ES Bushings as the replacement instead of taking out the metal sleeve with it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196407

But, another thread I saw the member remove all parts of the original bushing & replaced it with an OEM. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980

Which method do you guys think is the most efficient & effective?
    Keep Pushing..

When I did mine I left the metal ring in and put in Energy Suspension bushings. 3 years later they are just starting to crack slightly. I also ran on totally blown shocks for over a year also. So they have seen much abuse, but for the cost of them and ease of replacement I'd rather stick with the ES bushings.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Thanks for the input Rilas. Yeah I do like that way a lot better because it seems like less work & maybe even easier. & the way I see it, not removing the ring around the bushing would really cut out a lot of the work.

Was the metal sleeve in between the ES bushing the right diameter for the original size through bolt? I can't remember what thread I saw it on but, someone mentioned they had to fabricate that metal sleeve.

On this thread the member "lucid" talks about how the original sleeve was a different diameter than the ES metal sleeve. -> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...?t=8980&page=2

He fabricated the original sleeve because the sleeve that came with the ES kit had a diameter that was too large for the original bolt. Also, the original sleeve had a sort of "ball" shape to it on the outside instead of being a perfect cylinder shape like the ES sleeve. He filed down the original sleeve to make it fit in between the new ES bushings.

Did you encounter this issue??
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

I found this set of Front Lower Control Arm Bushings..

They look pretty similar to what was used in the thread.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/8214
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

I ended up using Hardrace pillow ball bushings in mine. There was a transition from OEM, to Energy Suspension to Hardrace all in the same manner of time that the car was driven 0 miles. I just change my mind a lot, and it gets expensive.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I used the front upper control arm bushings, not the lowers. They fit just right if you leave the OEM metal ring from the bushing. If I remember correctly I was able to use the ES sleeve, but then again it's been years now and I always have tons of spare stuff laying around. So I might have fabricated something up, but honestly I feel that I used the ES sleeve and it worked fine.
            Last edited by Rilas; 11-16-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I ended up using Hardrace pillow ball bushings in mine. There was a transition from OEM, to Energy Suspension to Hardrace all in the same manner of time that the car was driven 0 miles. I just change my mind a lot, and it gets expensive.
              Haha oh man..well I hear you. I am just trying to get it right the first time in one shot!
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                I used the front upper control arm bushings, not the lowers. They fit just right if you leave the OEM metal ring from the bushing. If I remember correctly I was able to use the ES sleeve, but then again it's been years now and I always have tons of spare stuff laying around. So I might have fabricated something up, but honestly I feel that I used the ES sleeve and it worked fine.
                Thanks man! I will give it a shot.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

I think I understand my own question haha. So, in the thread http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...?t=8980&page=2 "lucid" had to use what he said was a "pair of rear control/trailing arm bushings" which is why he might have had an issue with the sleeve of the bushing he was trying to use.

I did some research & found that the dimensions of the strut mount bushing bolt was 12mm in diameter. I found that on the front lower control arm the same strut mount bushing bolt has the same diameter of 12mm as well. I believe that ordering a set of Front Lower Control Arm Bushing (well I guess the front lower strut mount bushing) should work! I hope so at least haha. I just hope the bushing is the same length & will fit in the rear knuckle.

The part again..-> http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/8214
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

I don't believe the lowers fit correctly. That is why I used the upper control arm bushings. There was a reason that the uppers are used and not the lowers, I just can't remember why now.

Comment

I don't believe the lowers fit correctly. That is why I used the upper control arm bushings. There was a reason that the uppers are used and not the lowers, I just can't remember why now.
                      I think I am understanding what you mean..check out this link. http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/8204

This is the set of the Front Control Arm Bushings with the Upper & Lower.
                      In the picture it looks like the Lower Bushing is a bit longer than the Upper Bushings. (I can tell which one is which because I was comparing the two bushings on each individual product page.)

I also saw they have the dimensions for the lengths of the sleeves in the kit :

4 - 60681 - 3/4" X 1.575" Metal Sleeve
                      2 - 60692 - 3/4" X 2.040" Metal Sleeve
                      ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
                      One is obviously longer as compared to the other.

So I guess this would be the issue of which bushing is the correct size. When I get off of work I am going to measure the lengths of each bushings on my car. Especially the actual rear lower strut mount bushing to know what size exactly I will need.

Haha this is funny man...getting down to the specific measurement of each part.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

I think that is what it was. It's the uppers you need for sure. You'll find out tonight when you measure. They are just the right length that the rear lower strut mount slides over them snug.

Comment

I think that is what it was. It's the uppers you need for sure. You'll find out tonight when you measure. They are just the right length that the rear lower strut mount slides over them snug.
                          Good shit man..thanks for the inputs!
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

if you have at the minimum a torch hacksaw blade, hammer, old screwdriver or cold chisel and maybe a pointy punch you can remove the oem ones properly

getting the new RUBBER ones in just requires some sand paper, grease a stack of fender washers, bolt and nut and some wrenches.

monroe makes them for 12 bucks a pop.

Last edited by illinois_erik; 11-18-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Nice little DIY there ^^^

When I did my friends lower strut bushing I placed it in then just took a socker around the sleeve and pressed it in with some blows of my hammer lol

Comment

Working...
                              X