CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Performance Tech

Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
Can't move transmission out of park

This is for a '91 LX.

So I noticed an issue with my car immediately after I got it back on the road back in December where the "S" light would stay on after I switched out of park. Pressing the button on the side of the shifter had no effect; so the Sport mode was useless at that point. Other than that the car ran and shifted fine. I couldn't leave well enough alone since it bugs me when things don't work as they should on my cars so I wanted to fix it.

I got advice here that either my TCU had an issue, or it was replaced with a later model TCU that wasn't designed with the "S" functionality.

I got a hold of a correct TCU for my year car and swapped it in, however now the car wouldn't shift out of park. I figured no big deal, this one's probably got a bad component that needs to be resoldered. After I swapped my original back in, the car still won't shift out of park.

Any idea what might be going on? I did make sure to disconnect the battery before doing any of this.

Last edited by wtfisafleek; 02-27-2018 at 12:44 PM.
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
Zombine
CB7tuner Member

Zombine is cool... so far.
Checked your brake lights are working? Park lock normally activates from the brake pedal position switch
Zombine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

After reading a bit on the internet I did come across that being a problem, so I checked a minute ago to see if I hear that click which I do remember having heard before. I am not hearing it now when I put my foot on the brake.

It doesn't follow that the park lock would be the problem since it wasn't before I swapped the TCUs. BUT, what if my problem ECU blew a fuse to this particular switch/solenoid? That could be possible I guess. I'm going to check the fuses after it stops raining.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

I wasn't sure which fuse the shift lock is so I visually inspected all of the fuses on the driver's kick panel; they are all good. Is it actually one of the fuses underhood? Because I checked the descriptions on the lid and they don't lead me to believe it lies there.

I checked to see if the brake lights are operating correctly and they are.

There are no trouble codes when I jump the blue connector on the passenger kick panel.

I wonder if the bad TCU somehow damaged the shift lock? All I know is I don't hear that normal click now when hitting the brakes while in Park.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

I ended up replacing the shift lock, but in reality I think the problem was the incorrect, damaged TCU I was running. After replacing both components, the shifter is working correctly now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: