• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY "DIY Alignment Tool"

Get it?

I found this tool that a company is selling:
    http://www.quicktrickalignment.com/

And I'm staring at my screen thinking...wtf?? 400 bucks? For a level and some bars?

BS, So I'm going to try to make my own. I already ordered the exact same level used on their equipment. Fabricating some steel square shouldn't be to difficult and I should come out under $100. This thread will be my alignment tool build log.

My motivation for building this is because I'm tired of going to Firestone and them just adjusting my toe. Plus I'd like to be able to try out different geometry settings. I'm pretty good with triangles so it shouldn't be too difficult. If it comes together well, I'll throw it in the DIY section.

YouTube Clicky!!

Cool man, Ive seen something like this demonstrated on one of the powernation shows. Im staying tuned ..well because if its DIY'able..Ill do it. Maybe the magic is in the level..maybe not..at least it covers everything youd need to do on the front end.

Comment

its cheaper to get a 4 wheel alignment.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
        Cool man, Ive seen something like this demonstrated on one of the powernation shows. Im staying tuned ..well because if its DIY'able..Ill do it. Maybe the magic is in the level..maybe not..at least it covers everything youd need to do on the front end.
        I think it is. I mean an alignment is nothing but angles. Should be pretty straightforward.

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
        its cheaper to get a 4 wheel alignment.
        You're right...under certain circumstances. By the third and fourth alignment you're at least 200$ in. A lifetime alignment is almost $200. Constantly modifying your suspension will land you in the alignment shop a lot, so you can save time with something like this. If you have more than one car, that's another expense.

If you have a stock car and don't touch it ever, then yes a 4 wheel is cheaper.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

And most alignment shops will only align a vehicle using the factory methods. If you've installed an adjustable camber kit, traction bar or adjustable rear lower control arms, they won't touch them. Now not all alignment shops are the same, but usually this is the case.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Another benefit too is if you work on cars you can open a lot more doors. (doing more things) and at least get everything close enough till the owner can get a "professional" alignment. Looking at it again, you could probably even get away doing the rears too and double check with the string method if needed.

Comment

Can anyone reccomend a good company that does lowered alignments? None of these littel shops here do
              Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

Not one person in here is from Missouri that I can see...

so why would you ask for recomendations for a local shop from a thread full of people who don't live near you?!

Use Google dude. That's what it's for.

Comment

You can be your own alignment shop. It's really nothing magical about it. Set caster, set camber, set toe. done.

I'll double check my numbers with a "professional" alignment shop to see how accurate this method is. I'm pretty confident that it will be at least within 2/10 of a degree.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

very much following this. i have been inclined to do something similar, but this tool design seems pretty straightforward and like a good idea to base a DIY one off of. I have spare square-steel and long steel L brackets so I am leaning toward maybe doing the same.

where do you plan on performing this? Do you have a smooth, level floor at home?

anyway definitely keep us updated on how it goes.
                    Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-01-2014, 01:11 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                      very much following this. i have been inclined to do something similar, but this tool design seems pretty straightforward and like a good idea to base a DIY one off of. I have spare square-steel and long steel L brackets so I am leaning toward maybe doing the same.

where do you plan on performing this? Do you have a smooth, level floor at home?

anyway definitely keep us updated on how it goes.
                      I have a pretty flat carport. The beauty of the digital level is that you can zero it out for each wheel so you have an accurate reference point.

I've never heard of "Digi-pas" but they seem like a pretty big company so it may or may not be too generic.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        Not one person in here is from Missouri that I can see...

so why would you ask for recomendations for a local shop from a thread full of people who don't live near you?!

Use Google dude. That's what it's for.
                        That is why i said COMPANY and not local SHOP...keywords dude. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with Companies like firestone and goodyear. Thanks for you rhetoric but its not neccesary....

MY MRT

My First CB7

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          You can be your own alignment shop. It's really nothing magical about it. Set caster, set camber, set toe. done.

I'll double check my numbers with a "professional" alignment shop to see how accurate this method is. I'm pretty confident that it will be at least within 2/10 of a degree.
                          Thanks sonikaccord, i am sure i could do it, i just went through a set of tires for this same reason so i wanted to get it done proffesionally at least once before i try it myself...but i do like your idea so i will definately follow your progress.

MY MRT

My First CB7

Comment

Originally posted by dahubby View Post
                            That is why i said COMPANY and not local SHOP...keywords dude. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with Companies like firestone and goodyear. Thanks for you rhetoric but its not neccesary....
                            That still makes no sense.

Just because Firestone in Hawaii does lowered alignments, does not mean the one by you will.

They're not all the same.

So, Id still recommend picking up a phone and calling the shops in your area to find out.

Would be faster then waiting on a response from the interwebs.

2005? Damn would think you'd know better dude.

Comment

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I have the level and I'll probably pick up some hardware today, too.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X