Halfshaft (not axle) Bearing Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halfshaft (not axle) Bearing Issue?

During my trip to Pensacola and back last weekend, I started noticing vibration in the front end (not particularly in the steering wheel) under load/acceleration, at highway speeds. Level ground and downhill (and canceling cruise on uphill) it is smooth as silk. I figured axles, but they feel pretty tight and there is no noise when turning. There seems to be more play in the axle end that engages the half shaft than in the right side axle that installs directly in the transmission. Anyone ever had a halfshaft bearing go bad?

There is a manual LX coupe at the local UPAP, I may go grab that half shaft and install new bearings and seals, then install it.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Its not hard at all, youll be just fine getting tbe work done. Pulling the one at the yard will be hwrder than rebuidling it.

Hard to say if it is for sure the culprit, but if there is play it is entirely possible and worth repairing. Symptoms are a match.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

It's entirely possible the half shaft bearings can go bad and cause vibrations without noise and still be tight. Depending on how old they are, the grease can break down inside the boot and you can get a dry spot in one of the ball tracks which can make noise or cause vibration before it completely fails. I worked for Ford's driveline supplier for two summers in their testing department. It's amazing how many different ways those joints can fail. Thankfully, most of them don't involve the joint exploding into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        Its not hard at all, youll be just fine getting tbe work done. Pulling the one at the yard will be hwrder than rebuidling it.

Hard to say if it is for sure the culprit, but if there is play it is entirely possible and worth repairing. Symptoms are a match.
        Yeah, I know it isn't too hard, just kind of a pain to pull the axle. I got the one on the car from a member when I installed the A6; don't recall how many miles were on it at the time - probably should have installed a new bearing then.

If I remember correctly, one of the cars in the yard already had the trans removed (hope the halfshaft is still there).

Dec. 22, 2017: Silly me, don't need the trans pulled. Forgot my 36 mm socket, but upper control arm had been removed. Disconnected the lower control arm and was able to pull the axle out, then the half shaft. Grabbed an A4 exhaust manifold, couple throttle bodies, an alternator for a local kid trying to nurse a 90 EX along (REALLY rough body).
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-22-2017, 11:45 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
        X