No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, interesting about the lower control arms. I noticed something looked odd from the pictures, like they appeared cast, but I figured it was probably due to the rubberized coating, because i "know" they are just stamped sheet metal. They arent a different shape or length or anything? I will need to keep an eye out for a clean set in the junkyard.

Glad the upper arms and switch arrived safely!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

oh nice! I'm actually picking up my first ever wagon from a friend of mine so I've been looking into options on updating the suspension.

My other car is not even worth fixing the rust on anymore so I decided to get something bigger and user friendly..and his just happened to pop up so I'm really looking forward to that.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        wow, interesting about the lower control arms. I noticed something looked odd from the pictures, like they appeared cast, but I figured it was probably due to the rubberized coating, because i "know" they are just stamped sheet metal. They arent a different shape or length or anything? I will need to keep an eye out for a clean set in the junkyard.

Glad the upper arms and switch arrived safely!
        The odd thing is these don't have the rubberized coating from the factory like the stamped ones do. They are just straight up painted black. Probably because some surface rust on these doesn't matter. Where on the stamped control arms it would eat through them with enough time. I'll try and grab one one tonight and get a few reference pictures. I honestly totally forgot about the wagon arms. Until I was making some room on one of the lofts for the CL-S cylinder heads. Glad I decided to clean up the garage some. Saved me some money for once lol.

Also thanks again for the parts Mike!
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Nice update man! I can barely keep up with 2 vehicles, not sure how you're doing 3+

Comment

Never even knew about the control arms. This thread is just full of awesome knowledge looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for some wagon control arms now.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
              oh nice! I'm actually picking up my first ever wagon from a friend of mine so I've been looking into options on updating the suspension.

My other car is not even worth fixing the rust on anymore so I decided to get something bigger and user friendly..and his just happened to pop up so I'm really looking forward to that.
              Nice! I think I eventually want a wagon as well. But that would mean I need to actually get the coupe to a point where it is more or less done. I'm not sure when that will happen.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Nice update man! I can barely keep up with 2 vehicles, not sure how you're doing 3+
              What's really scary is it's actually about 5 vehicles currently. Which is enough to make you crazy I swear. But I've been wading through a ton of maintenance on the other cars lately. Just a bit to wrap up on the Pilot and it's full time on Lola. It's a bit scary as I have a deadline of sometime before May 5th to have new Lola to at least the point that old Lola was at. In May is the Northwest Prelude Accord Club spring meet. I'd love to go again, some of those guys were awesome to hang out with and are going again. Worst case scenario, I take Ava ('04 TL, hell it's based on the Accord chassis.)

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
              Never even knew about the control arms. This thread is just full of awesome knowledge looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for some wagon control arms now.
              Nick, I wouldn't have known either. Except I was killing time reading our awesome forum and stumbled across it here on post #32 from Accrdwgnguy. Also I brought them home from the junk yard a few years ago. I totally forgot about them even existing, then stumbled across them cleaning the garage. Decided it was time to put them to good use!

Comment

Alright guys so if a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is 10 pictures worth?

Control Arms 1

Control Arms 2

Control Arms 3

Control Arms 4

Control Arms 5

Control Arms 6

Control Arms 7

Control Arms 8

Control Arms 9 (This is hanging on both bolts without any bushings in it. As it hangs it has a touch less clearance on the exhaust than the stamped steel control arms do. Once the bushings are in this is going to have some extra clearance over the exhaust.)

Control Arms 10

Flickr crapped out while trying to upload last night. It didn't upload 2 more pictures I was after. Not that it really matters. These pictures have conveyed the point, that the wagon arms are the same. Also I was doing some reading about the wagon arms and subframe. It is the subframe itself that is 30mm wider than the sedans. The control arms are exactly the same. As I have proven with pictures. There is conflicting information on the site about the subframe and the control arms. Saying you can't use the control arms unless you have the subframe as well. That is totally false.

I didn't manage a whole lot last night. As I ripped the read end partially apart for show and tell. Then had to put it back together. The only other thing I worked on last night was the JDM H22A intake manifold. I now have 6 of the 8 ports on the top of the runners done. Planning to finish up the last 2 ports tonight, then to start working on the last bit of the runners.

Comment

do the wagon LCAs weigh significantly more than the sedan/coupe ones? how much more would you estimate?

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                    do the wagon LCAs weigh significantly more than the sedan/coupe ones? how much more would you estimate?
                    I was going to weigh them except the only scale in the house large enough for these is on the fritz right now. I would say the long arms are no more than 2 pounds heavier, and the shorter arms 1-1.5 pounds. Not a whole lot but some more weight added to the car. Honestly the stamped arms were heavier than I would have thought they were when holding both in hand.

Comment

solid cast rear upper control arms.

The early model TL's have cast rear upper control arms.
                      It's a nice way to finish of the rear end on your cb7.
                      CB7TUNER.com
                      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                        That is awesome. Also just some great knowledge for the future. I already have SPC rear upper control arms though so I've already eliminated the stamped steel control arms there. Just really trying to find a way to eliminate the front upper stamped steel control arms.
                        Last edited by Rilas; 03-16-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                          I always thought that was weird how the TL didn't get the wagon rear lower arms. It seems that the decision to go with cost rear upper arms was NVH-driven, so the cast lower arms would have made sense. But they had the same stamped lower arms as the CB sedan and wagon. Curious, indeed.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Alright guys. I'll let you know now, that I didn't get a chance to even get the camera out to the garage to take pictures of anything that got accomplished over the weekend. Here is a rundown of what I did accomplish though.

- Worked on rear window trim for old Lola.
                            - Installed bottom 3 pieces of window trim, this will at least keep the water out of the trunk.
                            - Moved old Lola outside.

- Moved new Lola inside.
                            - Bumper removed, fender liners removed.
                            - Headlights removed.
                            - Started removing everything from the engine bay.
                            - PS, ABS fully deleted.
                            - Body harnesses undone from body hanging from the firewall currently, not unloomed.
                            - Brake master cylinder removed, to make room.
                            - Washer fluid reservoir removed.
                            - Cleaned up a few small areas of the engine bay and subframe.

One of my friends happened to have a '93 LX Accord that was going to the crusher. I was told I could have whatever I needed off of it, other than engine parts, as it was just rebuilt with only 4k miles on it. Here is most of what I brought home. It was a long weekend and it's kinda blurred together.

- Clutch pedal, bracket and switches.
                            - Brake pedal.
                            - Non-ABS brake lines.
                            - Shifter cables.
                            - Half shaft.
                            - Proportioning valve.
                            - Throttle body for the manual rotor
                            - Throttle cable and cruise control cable, plastic on them is in great shape. Mine isn't in such great shape.
                            - Steering column cover, to replace the one destroyed by thieves.
                            - Cruise control unit, as I've read we need this to maintain cruise control after converting from auto.

Some of this is actually for old Lola. Like the shifter cables, as I need the CD5 ones with the derlin bushings for the new Lola. I'm sure there are some other things, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now. So I knocked some of the harder to find items off my list of things I need. I was really starting to worry about the shifter cables honestly. As all the junkyards I frequent someone is taking all the shifter cables for Honda's and putting them on eBay is my best guess. I really didn't want to pay $100+ for some damn shifter cables. Also I was starting to get a bit worries about the ABS to non-ABS brake conversion. But I have all my pieces for that now, so it's all good. I'm down to a small list of things I still need for this, but I almost just cut the list in half, and for the price of free!

I'll get some pictures up tonight of the progress that was made over the weekend. I'm hoping by the end of the week, I will have the engine bay all cleaned up and have started on the wire tuck. If I can get that done relatively quickly, I'll feel much better about making my deadline for May. As I still want to try and break in the engine before the beginning of May, so it's truly ready for a road trip and car meet.

I kept forgetting my oil pump at home all last week. So that is getting dropped off at the machine shop tonight. They are going to check all the clearances on it. If it turns out to be good, I'm going to have them transfer the KS balance shaft delete pieces from the other pump to this one. Once that is done the engine is ready for the timing belt and the last few pieces I didn't install. Mainly because I was trying to figure out the oil pump situation.

I'm sending my ESP.net parts back today to get re-powder coated. As the color I picked last time ended up not working out so well. All 3 of my pieces could chip at the lightest nick of something. John is going to redo them. Also he is going to make me up a tie down bracket for the alternator wire cover. Not the PS bracket, just the piece to tie down the cover.

One last bit related to the car. You guys are probably going to start seeing some new parts over the next few weeks, as I'm going to try and get most everything I still need ordered up. I don't want to be waiting on any parts as I need them. I really want everything I need just laying around waiting to be installed. I'm really trying to use my time wisely and not just be sitting around waiting for something.

Comment

Alright so a bit of an update on the week. I've steadily been working on Lola every night. Just some nights don't seem like there is any progress being made. Even though there is progress being made. I almost have the entire engine bay scrubbed down now. The only real places left are a touch around the fuel filter on the firewall, and the lower sections of the shock towers where they are plated off with little access holes.

Last night the GF came out and was helping me remove all the zip tie downs, electrical tape, and the corrugated tubing from the body wiring harnesses. I've been taking pictures of the progress being made. I just haven't had any time to work on uploading them. I'll get a better update with some pictures for you guys. So once the wiring harnesses were unloomed, Nici my GF made the comment of how all of that wiring and trying to keep it straight makes her brain hurt just looking at it. I had a bit of a chuckle over that. Tonight I'm going to work on removing the center console from new Lola, then start on the dashboard removal. I'm also hoping to be able to make my wiring diagram legend and hopefully de-pin all the plugs tonight. If I actually get that far tonight, I may have the wiring tuck all finished up by the end of the weekend. Once this step is behind me I'm actually going to feel like I might be able to actually accomplish this entire project, and have the car on the road on time. Truthfully though only time will tell if this actually happens, as real life tends to get in the way all the time.

Comment

Even though it really sucks that old Lola was stolen and trashed, I think it's really cool that you have a good opportunity to do all this stuff.
                                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                                X