Timing belt snapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt snapped

driving down the road today the timing belt snapped. Not knowing what happend I tried to start the car and it just turned over but no start..
    I popped the hood and saw the timing belt. I got the car back to the house and pulled the belt off took it all apart and began to change it. Set the timing on the block but i cant seem to get the cam to turn to put it in timing. Any ideas out there as to whats going on..

The cam has notches that attach it to the distributor. Take the dizzy out first and get the cam timed first. Then re install the distributor with the notches lined up.
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

i was thing that the dizzy needed to come off but i didnt think it would stop the cam from moving completley. thanks man

Comment

put a ratchet on the cam gear?
        COUPE K24

Comment

try taking a spark plug or two out to try and make it easier to turn. goodluck hoping for the best.
          GATORS GONNA GATE - - im also here: www.x-h20.com

Comment

Originally posted by ProSouth View Post
            try taking a spark plug or two out to try and make it easier to turn. goodluck hoping for the best.
            that will also help.
            10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

@ 93 I did put a ratchet on the cam gear and it will move about a fourth an inch but no futher..... Ya ok pop a spark plug out to allow some of the compression out along witht the dizzy should move I hope. Im afraid it bent the valves and seized up.

Comment

with the plugs out you may be able to see down the hole to check for pieces of metal. possibly pull the valve cover too. so you can physically see your valvetrain moving.

Comment

True. Just buy a new gasket and with the cover off it would be so easy.
                  10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

If the cam won't turn, it sounds like serious valve train damage has occurred.
                    Originally posted by Mishakol129
                    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

i didnt want to be the bearer of bad news... thanks for doing it for me ender lol

Comment

I'm a blunt kind of guy.

Comment

i have the vavle cover off i didnt see anything that was out of place or that seemed messed up however i didnt get into the spark plugs

Comment

Pull the plugs, then set the engine so all of the pistons are in the middle of the compression stroke ( pistons halfway up the cylinder ), can you rotate the cam now?

Comment

Cross your tities and hope for the best.
                              10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Working...
                              X