Ralphie : 2013 Honda Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
    Ya that is why I am not upset that I can't afford nice wheels. I have no plans on lowering the car and I think it would look odd, so im beat. But I can dream!

And as far as the led strip....I am not even 100% sure but someone on the 9th gen fb group changed out a single bulb for a t10 LED wedge and the whole strip is much brighter.

On EX and below, the LED strip is part of the "parking" light setup and the high beams are the DRL.

On EX-L and above, the LED strip are the DRL.

Like this-

My lamps look more like this-

Not the best examples but basically the newer Accords I think are separate bulbs but on mine, I think its one bulb in the corner and then the light is somehow reflected throughout the strip as the light tappers off the further the strip gets towards midline of the car.
    There are 3 separate headlight units for this generation Accord.

1) The non-LED headlight, non-LED running light units below EX-L trim

2) The non-LED headlight, LED running light units on EX-L and V6 trims

3) The LED headlight and LED running light units on Touring trims.

You can put a wedge bulb in yours, but it isn't going to look the same as the EX-L and above. It will be whitish bluish, but not quite the same.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
      There are 3 separate headlight units for this generation Accord.

1) The non-LED headlight, non-LED running light units below EX-L trim

2) The non-LED headlight, LED running light units on EX-L and V6 trims

3) The LED headlight and LED running light units on Touring trims.

You can put a wedge bulb in yours, but it isn't going to look the same as the EX-L and above. It will be whitish bluish, but not quite the same.
      Right forgot about the LED headlights.

Yea I know it won't look like the EX-L and above because the design of the housing is totally different but I want the light to extend to the end of the strip which is closest to mid-line of the car. Not sure if this makes sense, but when I get home(at work) I will post the example that the guy did on Facebook so you can see what I mean.

And I also took pics this morning with my cell phone....it is indeed one bulb at the far corners of the light and that light must be reflected throughout the strip as opposed to individual LED's.

Comment

Right forgot about the LED headlights.

Yea I know it won't look like the EX-L and above because the design of the housing is totally different but I want the light to extend to the end of the strip which is closest to mid-line of the car. Not sure if this makes sense, but when I get home(at work) I will post the example that the guy did on Facebook so you can see what I mean.

And I also took pics this morning with my cell phone....it is indeed one bulb at the far corners of the light and that light must be reflected throughout the strip as opposed to individual LED's.
        Yeah, I know what you are saying. You can tell that Honda put a wedge bulb in there. Hopefully a white one would work. I think that is a fairly common modification to do that on the lower trims. You can probably just swap a set of HID bulbs in there too for a nice upgrade.

FYI, I don't know what the difference in the harnesses is, but the headlights for these actually aren't THAT expensive, so that might be a quick easy way to upgrade them too.

Comment

Oh so you're suggesting swapping out lamps to an upgraded trim?

I just want to use an LED bulb to put out a few more lumens, not really worried about the K temps.

If I do HID's, im thinking it would be better to do them in the fogs. I think it might be too much for the LED strip and the low beams need to be retrofitted to be of any use with HIDS.

Ill look into that headlight swap though ,thanks!

Comment

Why not install your own LEDs in each of the slots? I mean, worst case you need to replace the headlamps because you run into a leak.

Comment

Oh so you're suggesting swapping out lamps to an upgraded trim?

I just want to use an LED bulb to put out a few more lumens, not really worried about the K temps.

If I do HID's, im thinking it would be better to do them in the fogs. I think it might be too much for the LED strip and the low beams need to be retrofitted to be of any use with HIDS.

Ill look into that headlight swap though ,thanks!
              It was just a thought because the LED running lights should be included. For the headlights, you could just plug and play with an inexpensive kit and it would look good. You could even do that with your existing headlights. The cutoff is good enough for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                Why not install your own LEDs in each of the slots? I mean, worst case you need to replace the headlamps because you run into a leak.
                The running light portion of each is different. The cars with LED lights have separate elements, but the lower trims have one wedge bulb that uses like a light pipe to resemble the LED's even though it doesn't quite pull it off.

Sort of like how in the 2006-2011 Si sedan, Honda designed the reflector in the tail light to use 1 wedge bulb that reflects multiple times to resemble an LED assembly.

Comment

The running light portion of each is different. The cars with LED lights have separate elements, but the lower trims have one wedge bulb that uses like a light pipe to resemble the LED's even though it doesn't quite pull it off.

Sort of like how in the 2006-2011 Si sedan, Honda designed the reflector in the tail light to use 1 wedge bulb that reflects multiple times to resemble an LED assembly.
                  Right. I was referring to the head lamp I believe Ralphie has, which is a single bulb with reflectors (similar to how people used to make angel eye/halo headlamps with a show curtain ring). You could install LEDs into each segment if you wanted to try and replicate.

Comment

It was just a thought because the LED running lights should be included. For the headlights, you could just plug and play with an inexpensive kit and it would look good. You could even do that with your existing headlights. The cutoff is good enough for it.
                    See I have seen mixed reviews about doing cheap HID kits for the low beam projectors(if that is what you meant by the cutoff being good enough)

It is easy enough to pick up a cheap HID kit but ive seen people say that its the equivalent of doing HID kits in halogen housings as the projectors the EX and below have are halogen projectors, not really mean't for HIDS and most guys do the TSX retrofit from theretrofitsource.

One guy even pulled the fuse for his DRL(which are the high beam) and then installed a switchback bulb in the turn signal spot so that it would be on instead of the fogs and then when he hit the blinker it would blink and then switch back to steady. It was sharp but im not trying to pull fuses. And besides, I like the inside DRL through the high beams because it reminds me of our beloved cbs with the high beam DRL.

And im not sure when the last time you checked prices, but Accord Headlamps are not THAT cheap lol. The ones I have are like ~200 but the touring with the separate LEDS are ~400 or so per side.

Unless you found a good source. I find mostly non-oem 3rd party junk. I can't check ebay from work so there are probably some deals on ones with broken tabs but I did find one site selling a complete upgrade, both sides, the harness and everything for like $1200 lol.

Someone on the forum said they were REAL cheap when the models first came out and then overnight the prices skyrocketed almost as if Honda did not know what it was they were selling and then suddenly realized.

Yea I just have one wedge bulb that is reflected x amount of times throughout the housing to simulate individual LEDS. It kind of sucks. I mean from the right angle it looks ok, but it could be better which is what led me to this point haha.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                      Right. I was referring to the head lamp I believe Ralphie has, which is a single bulb with reflectors (similar to how people used to make angel eye/halo headlamps with a show curtain ring). You could install LEDs into each segment if you wanted to try and replicate.
                      You most definitely could install an LED into each segment, but that is probably beyond my skill level, considering ive never opened up a housing yet.

If I had extra money, id give it a shot because like you said, worst case I just go out and buy an upgraded housing if I fubar mine but I can't swing that now.

And im also short on time haha. And im also not sure if my wife would be cool with me baking my headlights in her oven bwhahahahaha

Comment

You most definitely could install an LED into each segment, but that is probably beyond my skill level, considering ive never opened up a housing yet.

If I had extra money, id give it a shot because like you said, worst case I just go out and buy an upgraded housing if I fubar mine but I can't swing that now.

And im also short on time haha. And im also not sure if my wife would be cool with me baking my headlights in her oven bwhahahahaha
                        Just wait until she's out for the day. That's how I did the ones on my Tacoma.

I mean, no, I did not use the oven to bake my headlights at 375°F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Comment

LOL.

Well I am going to have to decide what id rather do.

Comment

See I have seen mixed reviews about doing cheap HID kits for the low beam projectors(if that is what you meant by the cutoff being good enough)

It is easy enough to pick up a cheap HID kit but ive seen people say that its the equivalent of doing HID kits in halogen housings as the projectors the EX and below have are halogen projectors, not really mean't for HIDS and most guys do the TSX retrofit from theretrofitsource.

One guy even pulled the fuse for his DRL(which are the high beam) and then installed a switchback bulb in the turn signal spot so that it would be on instead of the fogs and then when he hit the blinker it would blink and then switch back to steady. It was sharp but im not trying to pull fuses. And besides, I like the inside DRL through the high beams because it reminds me of our beloved cbs with the high beam DRL.

And im not sure when the last time you checked prices, but Accord Headlamps are not THAT cheap lol. The ones I have are like ~200 but the touring with the separate LEDS are ~400 or so per side.

Unless you found a good source. I find mostly non-oem 3rd party junk. I can't check ebay from work so there are probably some deals on ones with broken tabs but I did find one site selling a complete upgrade, both sides, the harness and everything for like $1200 lol.

Someone on the forum said they were REAL cheap when the models first came out and then overnight the prices skyrocketed almost as if Honda did not know what it was they were selling and then suddenly realized.

Yea I just have one wedge bulb that is reflected x amount of times throughout the housing to simulate individual LEDS. It kind of sucks. I mean from the right angle it looks ok, but it could be better which is what led me to this point haha.
                            I have HID's in the Si which aren't even projectors and they are fantastic.

You wouldn't have any problems with them in the halogen projectors, as they have a full projector cutoff. Just stick to the lower wattage kits (35W) and they will be fine. You don't need the 55W kits. I also put my kit in like 5 years ago and it is working fine still.

If you are worried about quality, you can spend more and get an actual OEM rebased bulb kit with OEM Lexus or Acura ballasts.

I think you would find it to be a very affordable and worthwhile upgrade with little downside. The stock harness should also be able to support the initial extra wattage draw when they fire up, but if you aren't comfortable with that, you can always put the relay harness in.

Comment

I have HID's in the Si which aren't even projectors and they are fantastic.

You wouldn't have any problems with them in the halogen projectors, as they have a full projector cutoff. Just stick to the lower wattage kits (35W) and they will be fine. You don't need the 55W kits. I also put my kit in like 5 years ago and it is working fine still.

If you are worried about quality, you can spend more and get an actual OEM rebased bulb kit with OEM Lexus or Acura ballasts.

I think you would find it to be a very affordable and worthwhile upgrade with little downside. The stock harness should also be able to support the initial extra wattage draw when they fire up, but if you aren't comfortable with that, you can always put the relay harness in.
                              Well I had HIDS 5500k, 35W in my 2002 Accord. Even though I know HIDS are frowned upon when installed in halogen housings, I wanted that blue hue and further reach- both of which I got. I actually wasn't high beamed often but it did happen once or twice. I had them for 2 years and then I think the ballast went bad and when I swapped them to test it out I fucking accidently let the hid bulb touch the good side harness which melted it and left residue on the bulb.

I was not even going to attempt running them and I had bought them from DDM and they weren't really able to help me out much as their CS kind of sucks but It was only like $50 so I said fuck it and through them out and went back to halogens.

Now I am kind of stoked. I think ill pick up a kit if you think it would be worthwhile. The halogens of course do kind of suck as far as output.

The fog lights on this car aren't all that great either, but imo they are more for looks then anything. Not sure how well they would respond to HIDS but I think Im just going to pick up yellow bulbs for those. They do make yellow tinted housings for the 9th gen but those are obv not reversible unless you uninstall them.

What kit do you run?

And oh yea, not even sure why they make 55w??!?!? 35w was MORE then enough light for me on my 2002.

Comment

Here's a dumb question-

on Hondaautomotiveparts It had my h11 low beams as being 55w 12v...

Id still order the 35w kit though right?

Comment

Working...
                                X