5" speakers not sounding like they should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5" speakers not sounding like they should

well I finally saved up some money to upgrade my speakers.
    i bought polk db 501's (5") for the font and 6x9 Alpine type-s for the back

those Alpines put out some bass. it's awesome

but, I had put the polk's in and noticed that they were not getting enough air. so after i took a utility knife to the speaker pods in oder to increase ventilation and put them back in and they sounded fine. but I've been driving around for a few days with this setup up and I'm noticing a really weird mix in mids and highs. I turned just the polk's on and realized that even though the bass was not constricted, the highs sounded muffled. I played around with the mids and highs for awhile, but nothing seemed to sound right. It sounds fine with all speaker on, but, I'm beginning to think that I need to do some more adjustment to the front speaker pods. Either that or trade them in for the 6.5 Alpine type-s and find a set of lx speaker pods.

I'm looking for suggestions as to weather I can make the polks sound better in their pods or if I should just go for the Alpines in the front as well.

thanks in advance

6.5's
    wat?

Comment

Do you have the polarity on both front speakers correct? if not, it can make a world of difference

Comment

I was thinking the same about polarity

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
          Do you have the polarity on both front speakers correct? if not, it can make a world of difference
          Originally posted by DarkShadow707 View Post
          I was thinking the same about polarity

yeah, well crutchfield doesn't have the harnesses. so I wasn't sure, but, I took off the harness from the stock speaker and matched little connection to little connection and big connection to big connection on the new speakers... if you know what I mean.... because I figured thats how it was supposed to go. I didn't even look at the terminals... it was too hot and i was too excited haha

but when I just had the speaker hooked up out of the pod it sounded fine.
          I'll check tomorrow just to make sure.
          Last edited by lsn92ex; 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

If you've cut the back out of the pod on both sides, I'm not understanding how that could affect the sound. Check the polarity on the speakers. Fade it the the front and see if it sounds like the rears, if it doesn't, take 1 speaker out of the door and flip the wires around... then recheck.
            If you've got your heart set on the speaker plugs, Ebay has them, at least they have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-Honda-Accor...ayphotohosting

There's one to get ya headed in the right direction. Good luck

Comment

If you've cut the back out of the pod on both sides, I'm not understanding how that could affect the sound. Check the polarity on the speakers. Fade it the the front and see if it sounds like the rears, if it doesn't, take 1 speaker out of the door and flip the wires around... then recheck.
              If you've got your heart set on the speaker plugs, Ebay has them, at least they have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-Honda-Accor...ayphotohosting

There's one to get ya headed in the right direction. Good luck
              wow, I must really be confusing, haha... I'm so sorry...

no, i didn't need a speaker harness, thanks for the link though!

no, I didn't cut the back off, that would defeat the half the purpose of having pods... i cut holes in the front of the pod and on the bottom... just not past the part where the function of the pod is keeping water and debris away from the speaker.

the pods were already vented, but designed for cloth subs, not polymer/mica composite material. by making holes in the pods, i gave the speakers more ventilation, allowing the subs to move as much as possible, in hopes of making the speaker sound like it should.

but now I'm thinking i should of just made the original ventilation hole bigger.
              crud, well... I'm hoping the wires are backwards now.

Comment

x2 on that..that's probally your problem

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

yeah, I'm really hoping it is. i paid 89 bucks for these freaking things. they better sound damn good.

Comment

Another issue you might be having is, your deck might not be producing enough power to make the speakers sound as good as they could? In my Accord, I've got Phoenix Gold 6.5's upfront and in the back, the speakers were WAY too big for the basket thing, so I ditched that and just used some tubing to mount my speaker to the door *found in a diy on here* I think they sound fine. Of course, I've got them amplified.

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                      yeah, I'm really hoping it is. i paid 89 bucks for these freaking things. they better sound damn good.
                      My 70 dollar Infinity Reference 6012 aren't much to speak of, hopefully yours are better.

Seems like car speakers aren't especially good until you start breaking the 200 dollar barrier.

Comment

Another issue you might be having is, your deck might not be producing enough power to make the speakers sound as good as they could? In my Accord, I've got Phoenix Gold 6.5's upfront and in the back, the speakers were WAY too big for the basket thing, so I ditched that and just used some tubing to mount my speaker to the door *found in a diy on here* I think they sound fine. Of course, I've got them amplified.
                        nah, i've got a sony gt410u... 52watts rms, the speakers are rated 45watts rms

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                          nah, i've got a sony gt410u... 52watts rms, the speakers are rated 45watts rms
                          It's actually 17 watts rms, 52 peak. Not many head units are above 20 watts rms / channel, and the ones that are, are like 22 watts rms.

Comment

IF you wanna go thru the trouble *which isn't all that bad* hook all your speakers up to an amplifier, give them adequate power, you'd be amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                              It's actually 17 watts rms, 52 peak. Not many head units are above 20 watts rms / channel, and the ones that are, are like 22 watts rms.
                              IF you wanna go thru the trouble *which isn't all that bad* hook all your speakers up to an amplifier, give them adequate power, you'd be amazed.
                              okay, so if I understand correctly... the closer you get to max power on the HU, the more distorted the audio signal becomes?
                              and by getting a powerful enough amp, you increase the power so that when it's turned up, it meets the power rating of the speakers but doesn't exceed the power of the amp, therefore decreasing distortion.

something like that, right

Comment

Working...
                              X