Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Supercharger questions/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercharger questions/help

With my recent adventures trying to get myself a JRSC kit not going the way I had planned, I've decided to see about going a different route. I really want to go with a supercharger but I like this idea over the JR kit because you can use an aftermarket intake manifold and clearance issues. Here are some pictures of what I've been able to find so far.

From what information I've been able to find so far, the supercharger originates from a Mercedes SLK230 or C230 kompressor. Flanges might be attained from a salvage yard along with the supercharger itself. This is basically the same Eaton charger that comes in the Jackson Racing Kit.

My questions start with how to meter the boost. The one video I've seen has just a blow off valve. I'm wondering if that will be sufficient and if it will work properly. I have a limited understanding when it comes to regulating boost when it comes to superchargers. There's also a possible issue with rotation of the charger but that isn't a huge issue for me at this point.

I'm just looking to converse with other folks on the idea and brainstorm some more.

The quick search I did, I found that there is either an internal bypass valve that closes when vacuum is gone and boost begins. Ive also found that it is based on the pulley size. I have little to no knowledge of Superchargers but it never occurred to me how superchargers regulated boost. I think this will be an interesting thread.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

The pulley regulates the boost on blowers. IIRC the larger the pulley the less the boost, and vice versa. Most come with the "standard" 8psi pulley; and normally there's an upgrade(s) that will raise it to 10-12psi and beyond. Keep in mind that superchargers are just like turbochargers in the fact that all are not created equal. So 8psi on one blower could be a world of a difference on another. The same can also be said of pulleys made within the same model group.
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

That's mainly why I wanted to stick with the eaton m62 charger. It's the same charger that's on the other kits. I'm not sure whether the Mercedes charger has an internal valve or not. If it doesn't how would one go about making something that would function similarly? Also of interest, the supercharger from the Mercedes has an electronic clutch. Might be fun for things.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
            The pulley regulates the boost on blowers. .......
            This. Also looks like you'll have to ditch the power streeting, cruise control and maybe some other items. Can't imagine what they are bolting that thing to, probably the PS mount. It just seems like a very large unit to mount in the front for our cars.

Comment

My power steering and cruise are long gone. With custom brackets I can see it being very easy to use the existing bolt holes on the block. It does seem rather large, but the same can be said about all the other kits. At least this way it's easy to service.

Comment

A roots supercharger is always in the back of my mind as a distant-future mod simply because I want that whine, lol.

But with the advent of K20 intake manifold adapters, I wonder if an RSX's JRSC blower (or one of that car's handful of other roots options) will fit easier in an Accord's bay (do K20's spin the opposite direction? Mate a different M62 up to that manifold in that case). My main argument for this over, say, the Mercedes blower, is that you already have the intake manifold made, and these kits are much more readily available. Notice the angle it's mounted compared to the Prelude's; it should place it further from the firewall:

The problem lies in, after getting a shorter snout to clear the BMC, fabricating the pulley system to get the belt out into the normal serpentine area.

If you're going to mount something up front, you may as well go centrifugal. Seems like it'd be much easier.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  A roots supercharger is always in the back of my mind as a distant-future mod simply because I want that whine, lol.
                  This is pretty much the exact reason why I want to stay with a roots blower. Wit this setup you can also intercool the charge, have a BOV, and use any number of aftermarket intake manifolds with a larger throttle body. Plus replacements are cheap and plentiful. I have a few junkyards in my area that have them. The issue I see with your idea is just getting the belts back to the supercharger in the first place. This is more of a make-some-brackets-and-pipes-and-go kind of thing.

Comment

The one in the video just looks so ghetto-rigged, though. I'm not liking those bends at all. The one with all the heat wrap is ugly in its own way, but at least there are intercoolers with the inlet and outlet on the same side. I just wonder if the piping there is too big for that particular blower.

But if you have the ability to make a bracket for that frontal placement of the blower, there's no reason a rear-mount should be any more difficult. Just more measuring.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-25-2016, 09:59 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

buddy of mine had a pretty nice vortech supercharger he was gonna put on a DSM. I dont know if it ever happened... you should try it
                      spin city

Comment

But centrifugals don't whine

Here's one way to meter boost, since you're still using a standard manifold, lol:

Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-25-2016, 10:24 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Exactly. If I wanted numbers, I would go turbo. This is more just fun and reliable.

Comment

Mike, this is EXACTLY what I was going to do with my car at one point! I even got the supercharger (which is now for sale, if you're interested.)
                            The issue is that when you slam the throttle shut, the intake piping will blow off... hence the need for some sort of venting. It happened to an old friend of mine, and he removed the supercharger without having corrected the issue. I figure a BOV, maybe two in a row, would do the trick... but I never got that far.

Comment

The cool thing about mounting it this way is that you can install an intercooler... something that is difficult and expensive with a manifold-mounted setup. The bad thing is that it's sitting on top of the header, which will result in hotter intake charges. The blower will certainly get heat soaked.

Comment

Working...
                              X