No announcement yet.

F22Chris : 1991 VW Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it back for the most part. I have to reboot/build both inner axles and then start it up (hopefully).

For anybody wondering, these have a backward clutch design compared to out CB7's. The flywheel is actually on the outside. The pressure plate is what's bolted to the crank.
    Last edited by F22Chris; 07-23-2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Axles are done and everything is back in place.

I went to start it up and what do you know? The son of a bitch doesn't crank or prime.

The starter and pump relay are bad. I took off the relay cap and pressed the armature in and it primed. I jumped the solenoid to the battery and nothing happened.

Worst timing ever for shit to fail. For shits I popped it downhill and it locked the wheels in second gear. I'm going to have to wait for my starter and relay to come in at the parts store.

I'm curious to see what randomly fails when I do the head work. Fucking kraut burner.

Comment

lol...kraut burner.

So what are you dailying?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

My e32 at the moment. it makes me feel like I have more money than I have.

Comment

So I replaced the starter and pump relay and nothing changed. I'm going to try the ignition switch tomorrow. If it's not that then I'm going to have to really brain storm this one...

Comment

Sucks to hear about some of the recent issues. Hopefully they're just minor logistical annoyances once you've gotten everything up and going.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Until April of 2015 I lived just off of Almeda South of the Medical Center. I would have gladly let you stay with me while she was in treatment. My mom is a survivor and I know how tough it can be, even when the fight is nearly over. Where are you staying when you're in Houston, if you don't mind me asking?
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

We stay at a Quality Inn off south loop by Kirby Dr. Close to the NRG arena and the car dealerships.

Sometimes I go, and sometimes my wife goes. If we can't, one of our nephews tag along because they bring their dogs and somebody has to watch them. One has anxiety problems and will tear up the carpet and door. The other is 16 years old and thinks she's invincible so she gets hurt often.

Thanks for the offer, it means a lot to me. But I don't want our dogs destroying your house

This is one of those fights that might not see an end. She will have to do this every three weeks to just keep control of it. Oncologists said she'll have to do it permanently as it's stage four small cell cervical cancer, which is rare. So there's no real tried and true steps for it. Everything is experimental so we're just staying optimistic.

Comment

I spent forever chasing ground problems. Assumed they were fine, and replaced starter, relay, starter again cause one tested bad, then got pissed. I had a buddy come by, he tightens the negative clamp on the battery (more than I would cause I like reusing the clamps). And that tightening of the fucking terminal made it work again.

It won't start now, but the starter is trying. I think it's out of juice

Edit: GROUNDS UGH. I've tried like 10 different ground locations to get this thing to start with nothing working. I'm going to get new terminals and wires next, and if that doesn't work I'm going to weld a nut to the chassis cause this is dumb.

First - the ground connection to the transmission got hot. I redid the ends on that 1/0g wire. Now those stay cool, but the terminal & chassis grounds get hot. so frustrating! I just want to feel the new clutch.
                  Last edited by F22Chris; 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Fuck deez gotdamn grounds man.

Comment

I figured it out! I went to turn the engine over to see if it locked up. Couldn't turn it for shit! Took out the plugs and it spat fuel out about 15 feet when turned over.

You can't compress liquid guys.. So I dried it out, put some oil in there, and sure as shit it turned over. It also dumped fuel again so I fried the ECU with the initial ground problem.

Getting an ECU delivered soon. I'm going to get new plugs and change the oil in the mean time. This literally took me like 10 hours to figure out -.- brokeswagens..

I also just put in my two weeks at my current job. I can't work with the new people there along with current management. Imagine going to work and getting cussed out (literal profanity, not just a stern talking to) about shit that doesn't even pertain to you at all. That happens everyday I work first thing in the morning. Even if I didn't work the day before, I get blamed for shit that happened the day before I actually turned down a better job to stay and help because they really needed it. I was promised a promotion, and then she hires three new people with that promotion title instead.. So much for paying it forward.

So sadly, the head work is going to have to wait about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm going to get it done though - without having stupid problems.
                      Last edited by F22Chris; 07-30-2016, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I drained like 15 quarts of oil/gas from the pan today. It started though! I drove it around my circle, and the clutch is so nice!

Then the fans didn't kick on, and it started to misfire.

I'm thinking fouled plugs and whatever for the fan. It worked on direct voltage so it's either the time switch or the relay.

At this rate. Wtf I might just take off the head after I get back from Texas.

Comment

It lives!!

The gassy oil (which I changed again) cleaned the lifters so it doesn't tick anymore. Then I removed the coolant temp sensor, and it didn't misfire anymore. The fan problem was a corroded wire on the timer switch.

It was weird honestly. Before I replaced the cts, and with it unplugged, it would have little power till 3k rpm after which it would run like a raped ape. It was like serious boost lag.

I'm glad it works now.

Also, for the first time ever, I ran out of gas. I got STUPID lucky, because it happened as soon as I got to the gas station I was planning to stop by anyway. Good day today!

Comment

As of now I hate the weather in Atlanta. The forecast says rain like every single day, but then it tinkles for 30 minutes at like 5PM.. I could have been done, but I know when I actually start on the head, it'll shit on me.

Sorry for no updates.

Comment

No update on the Golf... BUT!

I fixed the Scirocco! It's not %100 yet, but it runs! The intermediate shaft timing was off by like 7 teeth, the frequency valve didn't work, and the relay for the valve went bad.

When cleaning it yesterday, I noticed the lower timing cover was falling apart. I took it off, and that's when I saw the timing was fucked! The PO even went far enough to make their own notch in the crank pulley. it still needs a lot of attention, but it works now which is awesome.

Comment

So I've had to put this car off yet again. My uncle blew the head gasket on his E36, so we've been working on that. He ran it at like 95mph on the way back from Savannah, and the overflow bottle exploded overheating it. The engine doesn't look too bad, but it's still expensive cause BMW. I really don't like the shitty old German VR2000 gaskets. MLS is the way to go.

Looks like some clogged passages, and some rust from coolant. Easy fix hopefully. Timing this car is weird, and were still waiting on parts to finish.

I also go bored and put a beer can on my coil.

My alternator and AC also went out. Put a new volt regulator/brush assembly in there. The AC just stopped working when it was 93 degrees outside... The relay finally died in its long life. I went to Pull a Part and got all the relays from the MK3's they had there. It works now, but it doesn't want to work on HIGH, only on the first three settings. Probably toasted the resistor coil for it, or a ground issue.. [Like usual]

Comment

Working...
                                X