Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ignition/Keyhole Locked or Froze Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition/Keyhole Locked or Froze Up

Parked my 92 EX one day, and basically it seems like the ignition locked up for some reason. None of my keys are able to turn whatsoever. Not to accessory, not to run, not to start... not at all.

I thought it may be due to the steering wheel but after being able to lock and unlock that i still am having no luck turning a key more than like an 1'8th inch, just enough to feel that it's not going anywhere. I put some graphite lube on my key, and used some Dupont non stick non residual lubricant into the keyhole/cavity, and can't get anything to budge.

Anyone know of a related thread or have any tips? The car has been daily driven for almost 3 years, never had that problem, used to turn like butter.

Originally posted by Zdubz1993 View Post
    Parked my 92 EX one day, and basically it seems like the ignition locked up for some reason. None of my keys are able to turn whatsoever. Not to accessory, not to run, not to start... not at all.

I thought it may be due to the steering wheel but after being able to lock and unlock that i still am having no luck turning a key more than like an 1'8th inch, just enough to feel that it's not going anywhere. I put some graphite lube on my key, and used some Dupont non stick non residual lubricant into the keyhole/cavity, and can't get anything to budge.

Anyone know of a related thread or have any tips? The car has been daily driven for almost 3 years, never had that problem, used to turn like butter.

Sorry, no tips. If you have another key I'd try it. But obviously the tumblers are stuck due to old age. I'd spray some WD-40 in there and I'd also try a very small screwdriver to get the tumblers to come loose. But even if you got them un-stuck it will happen again (old age). Time to replace the unit I'd say, or at least take it out, inspect and clean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zdubz1993 View Post

Please do not use WD-40, try Silicone Spray. WD-40 will attract dirt and Spray silicone is a dry lubricant, Birchwood casey gun spray i have used in key locks multiple times with outstanding results.
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        Please do not use WD-40, try Silicone Spray. WD-40 will attract dirt and Spray silicone is a dry lubricant, Birchwood casey gun spray i have used in key locks multiple times with outstanding results.
        Ya, what he said

Comment

Something get in it that is preventing the keys from inserting completely?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Alright, I have some silicone based lubricant for firearms that I can try. No, there's nothing preventing the key from going all the way in. My wife of all people was able to fire it up once but since then I havent had any luck with it whatsoever.

It has been between -30F to 15F since this problem occurred, but this car's been a champ through a few -40F winters already... So maybe it's a combination of age/cold or maybe it was inevitable. Cars in a 30F garage right now.

If I can't get it to work, does anyone know everything that will need to be replaced? Just the ignition/keyhole or is there more?

Comment

Just the ignition cylinder should have to be replaced.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Stupid Q, if one replaced the ignition lock can you have it "programmed" to your old key?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  Stupid Q, if one replaced the ignition lock can you have it "programmed" to your old key?
                  A locksmith should be able to do that (before you install it).
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Can anyone could helpout with ignition switch replacement? Same car but hotwired
                    Last edited by GhettoGreencb7; 01-06-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Keys still not budging. Definitely gonna dig into her and replace a few things. I've never installed an auto-start on any vehicle, but I get the feeling that if I'm replacing the ignition cylinder it may just be an opportune time to do so because I may already have some obstacles removed. Anyone have a link to an ignition cylinder replacement thread or an auto-start thread?

Comment

This may not work but it does on some cars some times. Have someone wiggle a front tire left to right wile some one works the key.

Comment

Try this, insert key (im assuming uve tried to jiggle it around while tring to turn it) once the key is inserted, with your palm, smack the end of the key to try and force the tumblers to release. Dont hit it hars enough to break it, just stiff enough to make the tumblers let go. Also graphite is a bad idea, it may seem to help at first, but it will clump up, particularly aroung the very small springs and around the tumbler and will make it stick worse after a while, use a silicon spray or white lithium spray

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                          X