Got a new job! need suggestions on a car for long commutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
    I agree that a newer car is a safer bet than an older car when buying. The only real headache of an issue I can think of with an older car is failed/failing electrical / wiring. If you've owned the car, you know the condition it's in and pretty much get to know everything that is wrong with it. I'd be more comfortable with driving/fixing something I know the issues on versus gambling on purchasing another used vehicle. You're points are valid, just my $0.02.

That Prius could be a good deal. I don't know much about the hybrid system, but I would be sure to have someone who is very familiar with it give it a once-over; perhaps there's a very Prius-knowledgeable shop nearby that can do a pre-purchase inspection for you.
    My last job, I was actually in charge of a fleet of 4 2013 Prius Plug-Ins, 4 Nissan Leafs, and 4 Malibu Ecos. We took apart the trunk area, and had to remove the Li-ion battery for testing and instrument them with a data logger hidden behind the paneling in each of the 4 vehicles...really not that difficult when you get into it and take stuff apart. The pack weighs 180 lbs in the new prius but that's really the hardest part about accessing/removing it.

But hell, idk, for only 1500 bucks in fuel costs, is it worth not having the car I'd enjoy driving and making a compromise? I suppose I could get both, but it would end up costing me 35k instead and I'd have two insurances and two vehicles to worry about.

Having two CB7s is pretty challenging, keeping up with the maint. on both of them, but its nice when one's down, i could use the other and not worry about rushing things. Then again insurance is only 70 bucks for both and registration, a measly 20 a year.

I wish they made a sporty coupe with a hybrid system, then my problems would be over! haha

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

CR-Z!
      It's not the sportiest, but probably the sportiest hybrid you're going to find with a reasonable pricetag. The Lexus thingy is pretty sporty as well, but I think that's even worse than driving a tC (which I feel should come equipped with a string and a plastic applicator.)

Comment

w124 Diesel Merc.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Fantastic cars, but the reliability won't be any better than the CB7, while the repair cost will likely be considerably higher. Fuel economy probably won't surpass the CB7, either.

Comment

Once you get a good baseline with the Merc it'll last a really long time. Yes, parts are expensive but you won't need very many. They can be million mile cars (yes, so can CB7's). Fuel economy isn's stellar but not horrible.

Styling wise they look very classy, and classic, yet timeless.

They are very overbuilt.
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Agreed. Though a used car is a considerable risk, and a used premium luxury car only increases that risk.
              The only way to make the purchase of an old Benz be anywhere near a reasonable option (especially when compared to a CB, or even a CD) would be to learn a significant amount of information about the car before searching for one, then searching for one that raises no red flags. THEN a good bit of restoration will be in order. Once that's all done, there's still the chance of some unseen flaw causing major problems.
              A decent diesel Benz could be as much as $5000. Restoration of suspension, brakes, engine mounts, tires, and other important items (either for safety, legality, or just personal enjoyment) could easily reach another $5000... especially if the work is done professionally. That's a $10,000 car that is old enough to vote. It could turn out to be fantastic. It may be reliable, comfortable, and classy for another decade. Or some unseen flaw in the engine or transmission could park it for good... as another $5000 to fix that stuff wouldn't be justifiable to anyone but a true enthusiast of the chassis!
              Just playing devil's advocate, as I do have faith in the old Benzes (and I don't doubt that they could be reliable for less than I've said above...) Still, for Kai's purposes, I don't think it quite fits. He could simply do a complete restoration on his CB7 for far less, and get similar performance with less risk.

The Fit still gets my vote, backed by my extensive (and fairly similar) experience.
              I'd cough up the dough to buy new, though. A brand new base model will cover pretty much all your needs (unless you absolutely NEED cruise control... though the new ones may have it. I don't know... but my base Fit doesn't.)
              Most other features in the more expensive models are just added on. I added the Sport's ipod connector to mine last year (ok, Tippey did it... but still... I now have the ipod connector...)

Comment

If you consider getting a Fit, wait a bit. The new one is just around the corner.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I was iffy about buying a brand new model. I've had no problems with mine, being a first-year model... but I'd honestly have preferred to have gotten the 1st gen in the last year. All the bugs were worked out by that point! I didn't need all the new bells and whistles... or the larger size.

Comment

New Fit means old Fit is cheaper?

Comment

I won't exactly have tons of free time with this new job to restore old cars. I'll be working 8 hrs a day and probably driving 3 hrs a day. The LAST thing i want to do is R&R an old benz lol. Even on the weekends, I'd want to enjoy that time for not repairing an old car.

Plus, the mileage can't be any better than my 90 CB as it sits right now. To me that's not a progression.

I only liked the prius because it seems like everything's been done already, at least all the big ticket items that would cost a substantial amount of money. And considering its an 05, most of the miles are likely highway, meaning very light wear and tear.

Any issues with the 2013 Accord? most people just say the radio is crappy

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Another question...what do you guys think about an Audi S4?

If I do consider moving closer....60 miles seems like a lot of driving each way, gas mpg wouldn't really come into play so much.

The 2010 versions are pretty sweet looking/sounding and a lot more fuel efficient, 18/27 I think. Plus that supercharged V6 has a lot of tuning potential. most people with a simple stage1 tune seem to be in the RS4 territory.

They can be had for a lot cheaper now as well, I've seen some for 32k with reasonable miles <30k.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

It would be nice to hear from someone who has experience driving the CRZ. Because these specs are impressive:

http://automobiles.honda.com/CR-Z/specifications.aspx

Comment

Avoid a used performance Audi like the plague if you intend to put a lot of miles on it! The S4 is an amazing vehicle, but when it breaks... it breaks. When a 4-5 year old S4 breaks, it kicks your wallet in the nuts.

Think about it... AWD, forced induction, and the performance tier of a fairly high-end German make. All owned by someone that may or may not have known or cared about how to properly maintain and drive such a vehicle.
                            If it was for weekends, dates, and occasional fun cruising, then absolutely. Go for it. That's why I got my CTS-V. If it's for crazy commutes, stay far, far away! (if I was going to use my "nice" car for work instead of the Fit, there's no way in hell I'd have purchased a CTS-V!)

What's your budget? I'm assuming a sub-$20,000 new car would be something you could afford, now that you're pretty much out of debt and gainfully employed.
                            The Fit, obviously, would be a wise choice there. It's not particularly cool... but it's solid, comfy, kinda fun, and has a mild aftermarket if you wanted to play around with it.
                            If you're shopping used, then an Accord (off lease, perhaps) wouldn't be bad. Not the most exciting or luxurious, but not completely bland. It would be the most logical choice for a larger, more "grown up" car, while retaining reliability, affordability, and efficiency.
                            Grab a 4 cylinder Accord with all the bells and whistles. Manual if you can deal with it in traffic... automatic if you're a wuss.

Comment

How about a BRZ lol.

Sporty, not so fast but very fun to drive. I get 27mpg driving spiritely and if you baby it it'll reach 33mpg.

Fully loaded can be had for 27.
                              1993 Accord EX
                              2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                                Another question...what do you guys think about an Audi S4?

If I do consider moving closer....60 miles seems like a lot of driving each way, gas mpg wouldn't really come into play so much.

The 2010 versions are pretty sweet looking/sounding and a lot more fuel efficient, 18/27 I think. Plus that supercharged V6 has a lot of tuning potential. most people with a simple stage1 tune seem to be in the RS4 territory.

They can be had for a lot cheaper now as well, I've seen some for 32k with reasonable miles <30k.
                                I am a big S4 fan personally. Probably one of the cars I like best, although the BMW 3 series models would be a good upgrade for you too (perhaps an E90/E92 M3? ).

That said, the S4 might not be a bad option if you are very particular about it when you buy one and if you aren't going to be commuting like crazy.

The other thing to consider is that the V6 6MT is slower than the S4, but will actually put up a better fight than you would think, and is brand new. The S4 would handle better though.
                                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X