Dual citizenship.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual citizenship.

On a whim today, I decided to look into the requirements for dual citizenship. From what I can find, I MAY be eligible for Irish citizenship (depending on my paternal grandfather's history... he died WAY before I was born, and I know little about him.) I may also be eligible for Lithuanian citizenship. My fiancee is most likely already considered a German citizen, since her mother was born there (one German parent entitles you to German citizenship.)

I thought it would be neat to solidify citizenship in other countries, as long as there are no crazy costs or residency requirements involved. I'm not seriously considering leaving the US, so this is really just for the sake of curiosity.

Does anyone here hold dual citizenship? If so, where?

Its not recognized by the US government, but not illegal

Not sure how it works based on just have a grandparent being foreign at some point.. But as a child born to a foreign national in the US I was obviously a US citizen.. But I was also a citizen of my parents country. It is encouraged to make it official by the other country. In my case you do not need to leave the country to do it, they can handle it at the consulate.

It would depend country to country.. But in my case I would not pay taxes in the other country unless I am there 51% of the time..
    I would always pay US tax on all income even if I spent zero time in the US

If you plan on having a job that you need to have security clearances I would recommend not doing it.. It is one thing to be born in another country, its another thing to actively seek citizenship in another as a adult
    Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 04-06-2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

^^^^

Pretty much on point.

As far as security clearances go, it is no big deal as long as you A) represent it truthfully when asked about it and B) don't engage in any activity outside the U.S. that would be suspect or would make you a target for enemies of the U.S., which is really everyone depending on where in the world your feet are planted.

I don't know too much about it but I do know that the U.S. doesn't really recognize it.

I think it is pretty neat though. I do recall, it really depends on the countries as some are pretty straight-forward but others can be downright convoluted and confusing as far as process goes.

Weren't you seriously considering moving to Ireland or Europe at some point though?

Comment

I hadn't thought of security clearance issues! That could be a concern. I'm considering looking into government work once I'm done with school. I already applied for a position for DOD contractor. I didn't get it, but the pay and available jobs are appealing at a fairly local office...

My main reason for doing it would be so I could live in another country if I wanted. I don't know if I'd ever really want to, but most countries don't want non-citizens as permanent residents unless they have something significant to contribute... or if they obtain citizenship through either marriage or blood.
        I hadn't considered the possibility that I'd need to pay US taxes even if I were living in another country, as long as I maintained my US citizenship. That really sucks! Especially since the countries I'd be looking at (Ireland and Germany) have fairly high tax rates themselves!

I was looking to go to school for a year in Ireland back in 2013. I'm actually going to be visiting the campus of the school I wanted to attend while on my honeymoon next month! I had looked into properties in German for fun as well... and I found a beautiful place that was an hour away from 3 major cities for a very affordable price (and it had a 2 car garage!) No serious desire to move out of the country, but it's an option I wouldn't mind keeping open.

Comment

I work for the feds and i have cleared numerous background checks. They always ask about citizenship and affiliations with non-U.S. entities.

I am sure there are plenty of Federal employees who have dual citizenship especially Federal agents.

Often times they recruit from overseas.

As long as you volunteer the info as opposed to letting them find it on their own(when they do the background check) which would obv look odd, and you don't actually engage in illegal activities or associate with questionable people, i am sure you'd be fine.

Basically their only interest will be your allegiance to the U.S. So as long as you are not looking to joint ISIL or any other extremist muslim groups, you're good to go!

Comment

That's true. Do you hold dual citizenship in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
              Its not recognized by the US government, but not illegal

Not sure how it works based on just have a grandparent being foreign at some point.. But as a child born to a foreign national in the US I was obviously a US citizen.. But I was also a citizen of my parents country. It is encouraged to make it official by the other country. In my case you do not need to leave the country to do it, they can handle it at the consulate.

It would depend country to country.. But in my case I would not pay taxes in the other country unless I am there 51% of the time..
              I would always pay US tax on all income even if I spent zero time in the US

If you plan on having a job that you need to have security clearances I would recommend not doing it.. It is one thing to be born in another country, its another thing to actively seek citizenship in another as a adult
              You're alive

I definitely have to do some research on my eligibility.
              Henry R
              Koni/Neuspeed
              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                That's true. Do you hold dual citizenship in another country?
                Nope. All American baby lol.

I've done three government background checks. One military and two federal civilian. They always ask about overseas activities. The more sensitive the job, the deeper they look lol.

This last job they interviewed my neighbors st my current address and my last address lol

Comment

Wow, that's pretty crazy!

Comment

Ya.

I have a few friends who have made it pretty far through the FBI screening process....

Most federal jobs, OPM(Office of Personnel Management) sends out investigators to talk with friends/family/neighbors.

I believe the FBI uses its own agents so imagine having the FBI show up for a little chat haha.

CIA is probably the same.

I applied for US Park police and that was pretty stringent but I only passed the physical. Didn't make the cut with the written. Stupid long division lmao.

Comment

I know a guy who had to give up his Gambian Citizenship in order to work for the Feds.

But I also know people from Albania who have both US and Albanian Citizenships.
                      1993 Accord EX
                      2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Working...
                      X