No announcement yet.

Once & For All, Motor Oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually used a few different oils and before using AMS Oil wich is a fully synthetic oil,I performed an engine flush which was actually recommended by the rep I now buy my oil from. After the change I didn't immediately notice any change in performance except that my engine started up a little "healthier" so to say. I have had it for about 1500 miles now and I finally notice a difference. It idles smoother and acceleration is much smoother. Change intervals are suppose to be 25k with a filter change at 12500. I will keep you all updated as to how this all goes. But currently I am much happier with this oil over all the others I have used.
    "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

wow ^^ someone said mobil 1 can cure leaks???

imma give that a shot. i have leak in the seals, but haven't found the time, and resource to really fix those lower tube seals and what not.

taggin. this is an interesting thread.

i have 78k and have used regular oil all the time. i've used valvoline, castrol, chevron, all 10w-30. i've seen the high mileage ones and wondered if there good .

interesting..
      hahahahah

Comment

if u want something else just get a high milage oil...

but i still use normal oil now..just 10w30..unless ur in colder regions.

ill run synthetic amsoil in my 300zx since i only put like 600 miles a year on that thing =)
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

thats whats up.

syn oil is better no matter how much milage you've got i've been told this by many mechcanics.in my experience and opinion mobil-1 is the best syn oil hands down and i've been using castrol gtx since i've been driving and havd never had any problems and believe me i really drive!

Comment

who the FUCK said mobil one will cure leaks?????

SYNTHETIC will find any and every crusty seal in your motor. It will leak like a mo fo if you have ANY leaks already.

Also, synthetic is not the best for real high mileage motors. TOO slipery. and yes there is such a thing.
            Noobie my ASS.

Comment

fuck it, i ran it already. i feel like it ran smoother. only had 72k on it, 69k was a mature lady driving it (one owner).

they way i see it, it was almost new, so i'll run this. if any leaks, i'll get all seals changed, and still run 10w30 mobil1 synthetic.

thats it. end of story. 4$ a qt @ 4qts, ain't much.
              '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
              -'93 BRP LX 4AT
              -'92 AGP LX 5MT
              -'93 AGP EX 4AT
              10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

never said friction my friend. SLIPPERY.

Try to put synthetic motor oil into ANY motor with 200k miles. It is NOT the best for the motor. That oil will find EVERY old/cracked/leaky seal in the motor. On top of that, have you ever seen an sae 50 weight synthetic oil? I'm not saying they don't make it, but i would DEFF. stick to castrol gtx or high mileage in ANYTHING over 150k. miles.

how 'bout u?
                Noobie my ASS.

Comment

by seals what do u guys mean?? tube seals?
                  sorry gotta explain
                  i have about 82k and use 10w-30 regular. however i've discovered by looking in the car that grime, and buildup has formed. will runing synthetic clean it out a bit? or what should i do?
                  hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
                    I actually used a few different oils and before using AMS Oil wich is a fully synthetic oil,I performed an engine flush which was actually recommended by the rep I now buy my oil from. After the change I didn't immediately notice any change in performance except that my engine started up a little "healthier" so to say. I have had it for about 1500 miles now and I finally notice a difference. It idles smoother and acceleration is much smoother. Change intervals are suppose to be 25k with a filter change at 12500. I will keep you all updated as to how this all goes. But currently I am much happier with this oil over all the others I have used.
                    I'm still skeptical on this. I don't dawg the quality of the oil, it's possible it can last that long with the technology now. However, it's the one oil filter change every 12.500 miles that gets me. What oil filter are you using and would it not go into bypass mode and therefore no actual filtering would occur? I don't recall any oil filters being capable of 12.500 miles of filtering.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

as far as i guess, mobil 1 never mentions it is 100%, yet amsoil says it does.. i truly wonder bout the difference.

anyhow.. does synthetic clean the engine?
                      hahahahah

Comment

The only benefit to running 10w30 in a higher mileage engine, is if the engine burns or leaks oil. There is absolutely no point to switch from 5w30 to 10w30 unless there is a problem, or you're running in very hot weather, 24/7. You get better gas mileage with thinner oil, and that is what our 15 year old engines were designed to run on. Mind you, there is not a huge difference either way, I just prefer using slightly less gas.

Comment

my two cents

I'm a royal purple fan! I bought my car with 84k miles and it was consuming regular oil either by leaking it away or burning it ~4 quarts every 3k miles. so i switched to mobil 1 10w30 synthetic and it was still burning about the same until i found the purple. At $6 a quart, its kinda expensive but my engine burns about 2 quarts every oil change with the oil. I got all my leaks and seals fixed earlier this week and the mechanic that took apart the head told me it was the cleanest engine on a 4th gen he's every seen. So I'm really happy that the oil actually cleans up the deposits that the cheap oils don't. But what I was told by a friend who works at O'Reilly Autoparts was that if you do go synthetic for a long time, it wouldn't be a good idea to switch to non-synthetic even if you have 200k+ miles on the engine. Royal Purple for life!

Rice or not. Cb7's will never die.

Comment

i just wanna clean up my engine block, i see a lot of grime and crap that has built up. maybe i should use synthetic or syn blend for about 3k miles? and go from there? i think i am burning a bit oil though, although nothing crazy.

or perhaps i should get some kind of flush?
                            hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                              I'm still skeptical on this. I don't dawg the quality of the oil, it's possible it can last that long with the technology now. However, it's the one oil filter change every 12.500 miles that gets me. What oil filter are you using and would it not go into bypass mode and therefore no actual filtering would occur? I don't recall any oil filters being capable of 12.500 miles of filtering.
                              I'm not vouching for them, but I've read a bit of their stuff and they say you can run extended drain intervals using their oil and filters:
                              Amsoil Super Duty Oil Filters
                              You can really extend it using their bypass setups:
                              Amsoil Bypass Filter Mounting Kits

Actually pretty cool stuff.

Comment

are syn blends worth it?? i am due for a change and have read all this about syn and dyno.

i have about 82k. i just wanna try an oil that may remove detergent.

any ideas on the blend? i read something that says blends are only 10-15%? i did a search on bobisoilguy forum section but didn't find much.. they advocate halvoline a lot though..
                                hahahahah

Comment

Working...
                                X