Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Aftermarket coilover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket coilover

Okay guys I've been putting this off for a long time but here it is. What's in the car now are stock springs that are heated down and compressed. I know this is unsafe. I seen some cheap coilover set off eBay and a few shops sitting on their racks. I feel like getting them but unsure of ride quality at that point. Any info guys will be appreciated!!! Thank You!!!

I used to have ebay coilovers when i first joined this community(08) and at the beginning it felt like it was a great idea but a couple months later i could not wait to take them craps off. Im gonna quote andre 3000 and say "Please dont do it, reconsider, read some lite-ra-ture on the subject". Truthfully man, ebay stuff(i mean that no name, $30 coilover and $8.99 intake) are aimed at those who want to be slammed without regard to comfort, safety or damage to their vehicle; at the end that cheap coilover ends up in the trash, you end up with a remorse and your car ends up with damage to other suspension parts like bushings, ball joits etc.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Cheap coilovers are about as safe as what you have now.
      Cheapest quality (safe) suspension you're going to find will either be Tein Street Basis coilovers or Koni Sport (yellow) shocks with a reputable set of springs (h&r is my preference.) You'll also need an alignment, and potentially a camber kit depending on how low you want to go (less than 2" is usually safe with just a toe alignment)
      If being lowered isn't important, and you just want a slight upgrade over stock, kyb quick struts are a good option.

Comment

I was about to recommend Tein coilovers or springs BUT you have to be aware that there are plenty of counterfeit Tein products out there, so if you go that route make sure you buy them from a reputable and most importantly a licensed Tein distributor.

Comment

That is true. I'm glad you mentioned that. I made that last reply on my phone, and I forgot to include that caveat! Tein is a BIG target for counterfeiters. So much that they even have (or at least recently had) a portion of their website dedicated to showing customers how to identify genuine Tein products and packaging!

I've had Koni Yellows and H&R Race springs on my own car. From personal experience, I can say that's a very good setup. For less of a drop, and a more comfortable ride, H&R Sport springs paired with the same Koni shocks would be quite good as well (I eventually swapped to that, but my car was smashed before I ever got a chance to drive on it.)

Comment

I have koni's and truhart on my 91 sedan... Love the koni's, not so keen on the truhart but i couldnt afford the ground control coil overs that i wanted so i had to cheap out temporarily... My opinion is koni yellows and ground controls... Gonna cost in the neighborhood of 800-1k

Comment

When it comes to suspension, cheaping out "for now" should never be an option. If you can't afford to do it correctly, you can't afford to do it. Don't cut corners with cheap junk. An accident is WAY more expensive than a set of quality suspension components, even if nobody gets hurt.

Comment

That's what I figured. I'll just keep cruising until I save for some good ones. Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

If budget is a concern you can consider the Koni Str.t Oranges. There is no doubt that the yellows are better designed and built shocks but the Oranges are a lot less and will work with a certain amount of lowering and will sufficiently dampen a pretty broad range of springs. We've got about 3,300 endurance racing miles on a set that are still going strong

Don't skimp on the springs. Many aftermarket springs have rates close to stock. That's not the worst thing, but if you are lowering you do want a bit stiffer or you could be bottoming out.

I know that Neuspeed Race are about 2x as stiff as stock and I wouldn't want them on my DD in the Bay Area. There is a post somewhere on this site that I found when I was shopping that had a list of springs, lowering heights, and spring rates. If someone knows where that one is, it should be sticky.
                  ==========================
                  1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                  1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                  Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                  Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                  M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                  Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                    If budget is a concern you can consider the Koni Str.t Oranges. There is no doubt that the yellows are better designed and built shocks but the Oranges are a lot less and will work with a certain amount of lowering and will sufficiently dampen a pretty broad range of springs. We've got about 3,300 endurance racing miles on a set that are still going strong

Don't skimp on the springs. Many aftermarket springs have rates close to stock. That's not the worst thing, but if you are lowering you do want a bit stiffer or you could be bottoming out.

I know that Neuspeed Race are about 2x as stiff as stock and I wouldn't want them on my DD in the Bay Area. There is a post somewhere on this site that I found when I was shopping that had a list of springs, lowering heights, and spring rates. If someone knows where that one is, it should be sticky.
                    Depending on the drop he wants he will be limited to struts, i bought the Tein S Tech and KYB told me nothing they carry should be used with my springs, Tokico never answered and Koni pointed out what Deeve had told me before; the yellow Koni are the only ones recomended for the aggressive drop on the S tech, which kind of sucked since i have the STR.t on the car now.

Comment

Here is the link to spring rates and such!
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=tein+tech

Comment

Koni's str.t shocks are definitely inferior to the yellows. They aren't even made in the same factory. I wouldn't use those with anything more than, say, neuspeed or h&r sport springs. They're not bad, but closer to stock replacement than anything else.

Tokico's only offering good for any significant drop would be the Illumina, which are priced similarly to the Koni Yellows, while being inferior. I still need to get concrete info on bilstein. They may have a non-adjustable shock for the cb that can handle a decent set of performance springs. Bilstein would probably be the highest quality shock manufacturer that caters to the cb chassis.

Comment

Cool!!

Thanks guys now I got detailed info when I go for mine!! But first I gotta get an exhaust shop to mod my downpipe to existing flange. Then take it over to body shop to pull out a slight push back on front passenger side of car so that bumper, grill, and lights are aligned. Sucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                            Here is the link to spring rates and such!
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=tein+tech
                            I get an error 404 code when I click the link Sir

Comment

The thread he's referring to can be found stuck at the top of the suspension section.

Comment

Working...
                              X