Smelling fumes in my cabin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smelling fumes in my cabin.

hey everyone so for awhile i was running a very old battery..(sticker from 2010)

on the first crank it would just sit there and not turn over..

on the second crank it would turn on immediately but if i don't have my pedal on the gas it would slowly die so i would have to keep my foot on the gas around 1k RPM until the car would eventually get warm enough to stay on and then it would be business as usual...

so fast forward to 2 weeks ago and the battery finally died so i went and purchased a new battery so now the different thing that would happen is that the car would after cranking it a few seconds it would turn over on the 1st try now and it turns on immediately but now i get the smell of fumes i can put my finger on what it could be but it's a extremely light smoke that you can only see at night time when a car is behind my car.. the car wastes MUCH more gas now since it's been doing this and it also makes it pretty difficult to drive because i am constantly smelling those "fumes" i notice that i smell them alot when i take my foot off the gas than when im just cruising on a highway it isn't so bad.. but the fuel economy is now very bad...

these are the things i have replaced since and has yet to fix the problem...

Rotor/cap in the dizzy, spark plugs, fuel filter was changed today as well and tomorrow i will be changing the fuel pump and also seafoaming the car.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Lou's Build Thread!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
    "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

PS. smells more like i guess if the car is running more rich then usual... less on the gas side but still slighty..

also the car doesn't have any check engine lights as well.
    Last edited by CB7H22Los; 08-12-2015, 11:26 PM.

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

I would do a lot more troubleshooting before dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump. Check the fuel pressure (there is a port at the driver end of the fuel rail). Pressure should be about 60 psi with the return line clamped off, 30-40 with the return line open. Did you completely tighten the fuel lines when you replaced the filter? Check for leaks at that point.

If it won't stay running when you start, there are three valves on the intake that can affect that. The start valve is a small valve on the driver end of the intake plenum that is supposed to provide extra air for starting. The Fast Idle Thermo Valve (FITV) is on front of the plenum on the driver end. This is also supposed to allow more air when the engine coolant is at low temperature. The Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) is on the front center of the plenum. You can check if the IACV is working by unplugging the electrical connector at idle; ideally the engine idle will slow way down (may even die), if you reconnect quickly and the engine recovers, the valve is working. It can be cleaned with carb cleaner.

The other thing to check is around the fuel tank. The tank in my 90 got pretty rusty and fuel was weeping through the rust. I could smell this mostly when getting out of the car after driving it.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

well at the moment the car drives and stays on fine..

the issue im having with it currently is fume/gas smell while i drive and or idle and the unusual higher amount of gas that's being wasted.

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

the thing that is making wonder so much is that it started happening after me swapping that bad battery..before that the car was running fine even though i had to let the car warm up for it to stay on it had no issues whatsoever..

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

i would likely check anything that affects fuel.
            1. o2 sensor
            2. TPS
            3. MAP sensor
            4. Fuel pressure regulator

i wouldnt really think fuel pump because its sending the fuel just fine as long as your FPR is working it shouldnt be increasing fuel pressure.

Comment

also check the:
              5. spark plugs
              6. distributor cap/wires
              7. ignition timing
              8. ground wires

i would tend to think is NOT related to the fuel pump, either.

also, the battery itself is only used for starting the car. it has no effect on anything else afterward. i would assume whatever went bad was more likely related to the car sitting - rather than because you replaced the battery. A new battery is always a good thing.

the ONLY thing i could think of going bad related to the battery would be the ground wires - the ground from the negative battery post down to the transmission, also the one that goes from the post to the body/frame (short little guy). These need to be solid and sturdy to make sure power transfer is happening properly. Maybe replacing the battery, moving the wires around caused them to break loose.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-20-2015, 02:23 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
              X