Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

185's on a 7" wide rim?...advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

185's on a 7" wide rim?...advice needed.

I was wondering what peoples's thoughts are about running a 185 wide tire on a 7" wide wheel? I have been looking into it on other forums and keep finding mixed reviews. Any of the club4ag guys say its no big deal, but they are used to much more extreme stretch than the usual car owners lol. Other people say it is going to stretch but not to a bad extent, and others say dont do it. Anyways, I'm interested in doing this for my new winter tires (185/70-14) on a set of 14x7 rims. I calculated that a 7" rim equals 177.8mm, and since the tire is 185mm, seems like it should be ok right? especially since the high sidewalls! Problem is, tirerack says the range for 185 wide tires is like 5"-6" wide rims (something like that, cant find the exact page right now). Just hoping you guys have some advice, or maybe some of you have used a setup like this or similar. My major worry is because it is for winter driving I wouldnt want to be stretching and to be driving on rough icy/snowy conditions and for something to go wrong. Any help would be great, thanks!

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Why do you want to stretch your tires to such excess in the first place?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It should be fine, I have seen 205's on 8" rims that didnt look very stretched at all.
      Call me Travis.
      2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
      1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
      1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
      1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

really the main reason is just because i can get these 14x7 alloy mesh wheels for less than a set of new steelies. but again, i wanted to ask because im not really sure how bad it will be. im guessing you (mndude07) definately dont recommend it then

Comment

You should be okay. Here are few pics:

185/55 R14 on a 14x7

Now this is stretching, 155/55 R14 on a 14x7:

Or this, 145/80 R14 on a 14x7:

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

dam, that 185 55 looks pretty nice.
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

185's on a 7" wheel is a super mild stretch

don't worry about it at all

Comment

Do you just like the way it looks or do you need to stretch them to fit?

Stretching instead of a properly sized tire is just going to give you less contact patch with the road. If you're doing it because they won't fit, I wouldn't stretch tires, I would roll fenders and then get the wider tire.
                There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you for all the pics and advice guys!!! Yea that helps alot, I wasn't able to find a pic before giving me an idea of 7" in 185's.

It's not even so much that I want to do it for looks or that I have to just to fit them, but rather, I can get these riken mesh wheels 14x7 for less than a set of new steelies, and I'm trying to keep my costs on this purchase down so thats why I'm also sticking with the 185/70-14's. Plus I figured the rikens would look nicer than steelies.

Comment

Working...
                  X