Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
    agreed it wont damage anything, unless you accidentally drop it in drive
    lol neutral drops..the death of amany pubescent reigned hondas.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      hey since theres well versed honda people paying attention here, what seals can i get to in a jdm auto/lsd before its in the shell. how hard is it to change the internal filter if i can even get to it relatively easy. any other refurbishment ideas/checks for it before its put back into service, also this by no means will be done in a shop nor access 2 1 easily, basically my uncle in laws corner of the kitchen
      I would personally speak to some of the OEM honda retailers online for help, if they cant help find someone whom speaks japanese and have them skype one of the repair shops in Japan. Maybe theyll send you a kit. Best of luck I too wanted a AUTO LSD H22 before I wrecked my other car. I hate driving stick lol.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N
        My theory, its not the RPMs that are hard on the bearings, its partialy the sudden increase and rapid acceleration. There isn’t as much of a load to hold things in place during a free rev. The engine bearings also are a "cushion". With that being said one can see how it could be hard on the bearings.

Also with the increase in RPM there is an increase in oil pressure. A really rapid increase in RPM and the bearings might not see the proper oil pressure immediately.

EDIT, I forgot about something but it has nothing to do with bearings. I used to race Karts when I was in my early teens. I had a very well known engine builder who did all the work on my engines. He said that he could tell who free revved their engine a lot and who didn’t by the marks on the side of the cylinder walls near the wrist pins. IDK why because I never asked.
        Can you name those things (parts) that would be held by loading on engine? I am trying to understand what you are saying, you know.

Also, I cannot agree with statement saying that bearings are "cushion". Rather, oil is acting as "cushion" on plane bearings. This is one of four key functions of oil, IIRC. It's been more than 30 years since my college days.

Oil pump is over pumping oil to internals of engine at all times during engine operation. Oil pressure regulator is dumping excess oil pressure at all times during engine operation. On engine with normal operating temp, there should not be oil starvation at the bearings because of over pumping oil pump.

In my opinion, you can free rev your engine to red line if you want. Doing so should not harm engine, provided that you do it with the engine in normal operating temperature. Doing so may accelerate engine wear for no good reason on most part and may make you look like an ass.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
          I would personally speak to some of the OEM honda retailers online for help, if they cant help find someone whom speaks japanese and have them skype one of the repair shops in Japan. Maybe theyll send you a kit. Best of luck I too wanted a AUTO LSD H22 before I wrecked my other car. I hate driving stick lol.
          Ok lol, Ill ask Honda here & the dude at HMO when I set up the order and see what he says. I dont mind manual's I just dont feel like doing a conversion, its gonna be tits though regardless

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post

Can you name those things (parts) that would be held by loading on engine? I am trying to understand what you are saying, you know.

Also, I cannot agree with statement saying that bearings are "cushion". Rather, oil is acting as "cushion" on plane bearings. This is one of four key functions of oil, IIRC. It's been more than 30 years since my college days.

Oil pump is over pumping oil to internals of engine at all times during engine operation. Oil pressure regulator is dumping excess oil pressure at all times during engine operation. On engine with normal operating temp, there should not be oil starvation at the bearings because of over pumping oil pump.

In my opinion, you can free rev your engine to red line if you want. Doing so should not harm engine, provided that you do it with the engine in normal operating temperature. Doing so may accelerate engine wear for no good reason on most part and may make you look like an ass.
            i agree with this guy! that is the same thing Spartan taught me
            visit vgruk

Comment

Maybe my idea isn’t 100% correct. But were only talking about bearings, not harming the engine period.

I’ve never heard of anyone "wearing out an engine" due to revving the piss out of it. It’s always ended up in blowing the engine up not just wearing it out until it loses compression or something along the lines of wear. I’ve watched someone blow up an LS1 from revving it in their driveway. And yes it was warm.

BTW I have been reading A LOT trying to find out if what everyone says about free revving an engine is true. I haven’t found any hard evidence but I have found that most people agree that free revving an engine is harder on it than revving it under load. Id still like to know why. Maybe you all are on to shooting something down thats only rumor and ist really fact. Maybe its just something that is said a lot and not really true.

To get this straight here, what some of your are saying is there isnt really a difference in an engine thats working and one thats not working as far as stress on the components and wear.
              Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM.

Comment

that is what im saying. as song as you dont redline the engine it will be fine. it should be easy on the engine to rev with no load. you have all the components operating at their peak whether the engine is under load or not. she just wants to run, she dont care if she is loaded or not. i really do not see how it would matter load wise.

im thinking back to aircraft engines which fundamentaly they are the same. engines are engines (except jet engines, that shit is crazy)

when you feather the prop there is little to no resistance on the engine. it still runs and it aint bad for it. but when you put the prop to full pitch it creates A LOT more load on the engine. and yet they are fine?

picture a crank and pistons. picture those bearings. picture the oil system. those suckers are functioning the same no matter what. yes it is 100% true when you rev an engine to a higher rpm you put more stress on it. now picture you putting a load on it. the that thing now has to do MORE work than just stay running, putting along in happiness. it now has to move your ass around and also keep doing its thing. when there is no load iit can just do its thing.

nuff said
                visit vgruk

Comment

Like I said before, my engine builder said that free revving a Briggs racing engine was hard on the cylinder walls. IIRC he said something about oil starvation on the walls. BTW below is who my engine builder was, Jerry McLain. He isn’t just some random engine builder.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...rformance.aspx

I know we were talking about bearings before which can’t really be proven a whole lot one way or the other. But now were talking about free revving an engine and if it harms it in any way other than excessive but normal wear.

Again its about the rapid increase in RPM, NOT the RPM its self.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-17-2013, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    Like I said before, my engine builder said that free revving a Briggs racing engine was hard on the cylinder walls. IIRC he said something about oil starvation on the walls. BTW below is who my engine builder was, Jerry McLain. He isn’t just some random engine builder.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...rformance.aspx

I know we were talking about bearings before which can’t really be proven a whole lot one way or the other. But now were talking about free revving an engine and if it harms it in any way other than excessive but normal wear.

Again its about the fast increase in RPM, NOT the RPM ist self.
                    i understand what you saying. yes free revving an engine is going to wear it faster. but i dont believe it will do "harm" to it. but yes, it terms of cycles it will wear it faster. and its the cycles that really count on engine wear.

if need to explain cycles more i can.
                    Last edited by RyanD; 01-17-2013, 03:50 AM.
                    visit vgruk

Comment

From what I was told when I was racing, revolutions of the engine under load won’t do anything but cause wear because the engine isn’t sporadically winding up. It’s more gradual.

When it’s free revved it’s winding up really fast. Its how fast the engine gains speed with no load that I’m talking about. With more of a load it gains speed slower. This slower revving allows for better oil control.

At least thats what Ive been told.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                        From what I was told when I was racing, revolutions of the engine under load won’t do anything but cause wear because the engine isn’t sporadically winding up. It’s more gradual.

When it’s free revved it’s winding up really fast. Its how fast the engine gains speed with no load that I’m talking about. With more of a load it gains speed slower. This slower revving allows for better oil control.

At least thats what Ive been told.
                        and that is exactly what a cycle is! i think we just answered the op's question
                        visit vgruk

Comment

I'm sorry, but you can't really compare cylinder wear in a SPLASH lubricated Briggs and Stratton to a pressure lubricated 4 cylinder automotive engine. Whole different ball game.
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Good info. I guess my previous assumption with my limited knowledge about the ATF getting burnt or the clutch packs for w/e reasons getting worn out were incorrect.

I think it's nice to learn new things. Also I'm glad I didn't rev it like he wanted me to. Yay for no unnecessary wear and tear!!!
                            my 91 cb7
                            Originally posted by 4doorfury
                            I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

agreed with pirate
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                                im thinking back to aircraft engines which fundamentaly they are the same. engines are engines (except jet engines, that shit is crazy)

when you feather the prop there is little to no resistance on the engine. it still runs and it aint bad for it. but when you put the prop to full pitch it creates A LOT more load on the engine. and yet they are fine?
                                ^^^^
                                Re-consider your statement.

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                                yes free revving an engine is going to wear it faster.
                                ^^^^
                                Think about these two engines. Both are running at 2500 rpm. One with load. The other without load (free revving). Which engine would wear more or faster?
                                Last edited by oyajicool; 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM.
                                A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                                X