acura tl type s calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acura tl type s calipers

Ok so I can get them for a "steal" I was planning on using the ffc adapter but after re reading it, looks like it's for the rl and not the calipers I'm getting. I'm wondering if anyone has done it or if there's a write up I've missed?

Thanks!
    93 Honda Accord Lx
    Check it out A.O.M. 11/2014

I'm in the process of doing it now. I've mocked it up, but haven't actually put everything on the car. You need a whole lot more than just the calipers themselves. You need the knuckles, rotors, pads, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends hard brakes line, soft lines and possibly more. You will also have to ream out the hole on the lower control arm to fit the larger-sized lower ball joint.

The other parts I may end up needing are upper control arms and axles. Those will only be discovered once I get everything up on the car and mounted. I told myself that I'm going to put the front suspension on that car as soon as I can because I want to trailer that car up here to my house in Denton. As soon as I do, you're welcome to come by and check it out. I'll warn you, though. It's not going to be cheap. If braking performance is your only goal, there are much better options. I'd be lying if I told you the "bling" effect didn't carry any weight with this.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      I'm in the process of doing it now. I've mocked it up, but haven't actually put everything on the car. You need a whole lot more than just the calipers themselves. You need the knuckles, rotors, pads, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends hard brakes line, soft lines and possibly more. You will also have to ream out the hole on the lower control arm to fit the larger-sized lower ball joint.

The other parts I may end up needing are upper control arms and axles. Those will only be discovered once I get everything up on the car and mounted. I told myself that I'm going to put the front suspension on that car as soon as I can because I want to trailer that car up here to my house in Denton. As soon as I do, you're welcome to come by and check it out. I'll warn you, though. It's not going to be cheap. If braking performance is your only goal, there are much better options. I'd be lying if I told you the "bling" effect didn't carry any weight with this.

Wow yea I'll probably be staying away from this project then, cudos to you for doing it though. The only reason I was looking into it was because I can get a set for $50 thought they mounted the same as the rls, but nope lol looks like I'll wait and try and find a set of rls.

Thanks for the info!
      93 Honda Accord Lx

Comment

Does the person from whom you would be buying them from have the knuckles as well? I have a spare set of calipers and was going to do the same thing to my CL as well. If they have the knuckles, do you know if they would sell them?
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Does the person from whom you would be buying them from have the knuckles as well? I have a spare set of calipers and was going to do the same thing to my CL as well. If they have the knuckles, do you know if they would sell them?
          No strictly calipers, he bought a 240 and they were in the trunk lol added bonus
          93 Honda Accord Lx

Comment

I just found a set of 04-08 TL-S front calipers as well, what is needed for the swap. Im doing 5lug so i already have crv front knuckles. I gotta do more research on these.

Comment

Did you not read what I posted above about what's needed for the swap? You need a lot more than calipers and those knuckles won't do you any good.

Comment

Just go with the RL calipers. I'm using those on my car and they work great.

Comment

Personally, I don't trust those aluminum adapter blocks for the RLs. I don't like the idea of two bolts occupying damn near the same space, especially when they're torqued into a relatively brittle metal.

Any progress, Jarrett?

http://www.rsxretrofits.com/brembo.html

Thinking of attempting this myself, at least getting the calipers and discs soon for my Ody knuckles and seeing how accurate this claim of 'any 5-lug Honda' is. If not, this swap has been done to death on RSXs (not using all that crap you're bothering with) and I do enough mountain driving with that car. I'd go for the TL-S MC and booster as well though.
                  Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-03-2016, 11:14 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I have the original RL adapters from NVA-AV6 and they are a different design than the FFC adapters. I agree about the little bit of aluminum separating the two bolts, but I'm sure the shear force to actually break the adapter would be way more than the force of braking. Especially in the radial direction.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I've had it installed on the CL for a while. I bought a second set of knuckles that I need to install on the CL so that I can take the nicely painted ones off and put them on the CB they were intended for.

If the retrofit method I'm using didn't gain me larger lower ball joints and massive outer tie rod ball joints, I would elect the spacers in a heart beat.

Comment

With me looking at the RSX Retrofits solution, I just took my Ody hub into AutoZone. Told the guy about this mad Frankenstein I'm trying to pull off, and he let me test fit a TL-S rotor onto it (as well as an Ody rotor, just to compare). The TL-S rotor's top hat fits over the outside diameter of the hub (I was reading online that DC2 guys were having a problem with this), however a problem lies with the inner lower lip that the rotor centers itself on. Either the hub's lip has to be machined to a smaller diameter, or the TL-S's disc hub bore has to be machined larger. I think machining the hub lip is the wiser move in the long run; I don't ever plan on removing my 5-lug conversion, but discs will naturally come and go.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

i have RL calipers on my cls6. best upgrade ever. i just picked up a 04 accord 6/6 and it needs them bad!
                          COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            With me looking at the RSX Retrofits solution, I just took my Ody hub into AutoZone. Told the guy about this mad Frankenstein I'm trying to pull off, and he let me test fit a TL-S rotor onto it (as well as an Ody rotor, just to compare). The TL-S rotor's top hat fits over the outside diameter of the hub (I was reading online that DC2 guys were having a problem with this), however a problem lies with the inner lower lip that the rotor centers itself on. Either the hub's lip has to be machined to a smaller diameter, or the TL-S's disc hub bore has to be machined larger. I think machining the hub lip is the wiser move in the long run; I don't ever plan on removing my 5-lug conversion, but discs will naturally come and go.
                            Have you considered the DIY version where you drill the hub out? Linky

That's my plan, especially since I can get a set of calipers under $100 now.

Comment

Technically it's the knuckle that you drill out, but yes, that method is more cost-effective. You don't gain the larger lower ball joints and tie rods ends, but it does mean you can perform everything without much more effort than a brake job and not need an alignment afterward.

Comment

Working...
                              X