Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Another Boosted F series!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love seeing higher boost on these old stock engines!

Let me know how you like the carbon syncros, I have been wondering for a while. I hear they are as smooth as melted butter.

Comment

Why not send the transmission to gearspeed? Its worth every penny and comes with a warantee. Last thing you want is to put more stress on something that's worn down that you have to do it all over again spending more.

Comment

2 months tops.
        MadLab Racing
        Southern Maryland

Comment

16 psi on my garrett 57 trim with .48 hot side only puts me around 230ish whp. I think the motor can last a while like this, but if it does go it will only be a headgasket or maybe ringlands but I doubt that. Besides I have forged internals to install if the motor decides to quit then that only means even more boost on that little 57 trim turbo. Also I wasn't planning on spending much more money on this car so I'm not sure I want to send the f trans away to get build. The most I will do, and I'm not even sure if I will, is throw an LSD in it and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMef9 View Post
            16 psi on my garrett 57 trim with .48 hot side only puts me around 230ish whp. I think the motor can last a while like this, but if it does go it will only be a headgasket or maybe ringlands but I doubt that. Besides I have forged internals to install if the motor decides to quit then that only means even more boost on that little 57 trim turbo. Also I wasn't planning on spending much more money on this car so I'm not sure I want to send the f trans away to get build. The most I will do, and I'm not even sure if I will, is throw an LSD in it and call it a day.
            You really have nothing to loose then. The bulk of money for repairing it if it does go you have already spent. It's a matter of time until it goes but it's still fascinating in the mean time.

Comment

Was looking at maybe getting the motor built in September anyway, but the stocker will do fine for now. I don't beat the piss out of it anyway.

Comment

Still going on the stock pistons? If so, those are some unnaturally hardy ringlands!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Still going on the stock pistons? If so, those are some unnaturally hardy ringlands!
                  I remember why I boosted my f them ringlands with the 150k miles I pushed 220 nailed that sweet victory when it went up in smoke but it still ran though.

Comment

I bought the car stock at 298,000km and I never opened the motor up and it now has 348,000km. I don't beat on it that bad. The hardest it gets driven is when it gets street tuned and at the track which I only make a couple times a year. Never made it out this year and my work schedule right now tells me that I won't get a chance on this new tune. Yanno the tune can have a lot to do with motors breaking down as well and I have great faith in my tuner.

Comment

Even with a good tune and conservative driving, the ringlands are still a major weak point. You've been very lucky!

Comment

Decided to get rid of my MBC and put a dual spring set-up in the wastegate. Car now runs 1.2bar(17.4psi). Here's a quick 3rd-4th gear pull
                        https://youtu.be/FNCDVLNqj8U

Comment

Updated the original post with new pics from June. Got the front bumper and grill painted last summer. The car is still working good. My tuner will be around this month we may try to turn up the boost to 20psi.

URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/JDMef9Brandon/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpeg.html][/URL]
                          Last edited by JDMef9; 07-05-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Really nice setup! Are you still using the m2f4 w/ the 4.64fd? How do like it and do you have traction issues in the lower gears? Does the really short 5th gear annoy you on the highway? Were you able to keep the front torque mount and were the motor mounts stiffened up at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                              Really nice setup! Are you still using the m2f4 w/ the 4.64fd? How do like it and do you have traction issues in the lower gears? Does the really short 5th gear annoy you on the highway? Were you able to keep the front torque mount and were the motor mounts stiffened up at all?
                              The gears are extremely short, wakes up the torque of the F series that's for sure but the highway absolutely sucks. Car rips thru 1st and 2nd no problem and hooks up in 3rd. Runs at 3500 rpm @100km/h which is pretty much 60mph. I try to stay away from highway driving much as possible I've only put on 6000 km in 4 years being boosted. I have innovate motor mounts all around and the front month has been deleted.

Comment

Why such short gearing? Boost likes looooooooooooooong gears.

Originally posted by lordoja
                                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                                X