Honda Accord Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found the leak...

It is where the panel is welded to the main body. There is like a welded seam. And it is leaking through it.

I am thinking of using some kind of glue to cover all possible leaks aroung the rubber band...What kind of glue/epoxy should I use?

Comment

I had a leak at a seam at the base of the left lower corner of the front windshield. I used some auto panel adhesive I had left over from my Ruby project. The body shop that painted my car used some kind of clear sealer in the area you are describing, then painted over it.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        I had a leak at a seam at the base of the left lower corner of the front windshield. I used some auto panel adhesive I had left over from my Ruby project. The body shop that painted my car used some kind of clear sealer in the area you are describing, then painted over it.
        I used clear seal (silicone), RTV silicone adhesive/sealant , and it peels off after a while...This is why I am asking around here.

the auto panel adhesive ...you mentioned is the epoxy you designed a gun to administre on ruby? 3m Panel Bonding Adhesive?

I will give it a try to PL Premium Polyurethane Adhesive...it has great reviews. ...

LEt see if I can clear the are out of he rust it has ( not much, but it has)...

I will bond, then I paint...right?
        Last edited by greenquark; 06-16-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The 3M panel bonding adhesive is about $50 for the two tube kit - a bit(?) expensive for a small project; I had some left over from Ruby. After removing the loose rust, treat it with a rust conversion/stabilizer product before sealing and painting.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The 3M panel bonding adhesive is about $50 for the two tube kit - a bit(?) expensive for a small project; I had some left over from Ruby. After removing the loose rust, treat it with a rust conversion/stabilizer product before sealing and painting.

If you don't mind and doesn't take you too much time...Could you put some links of the products? rust conversion/stabilizer and what is used to seal.... I went to the store and the guy at the car department advised me to pour around the rubber band some "liquid nail"..a very tough glue.

I noticed also that two of the clips you mentioned, on the driver side are rusted too ...But from what I have read here, those clips end up breaking ...How the water gets to those clips? If they are covered by the rubber strip on the base of the rear glass?

Thanks in advance

Comment

www.eastwood.com; they have their own rust conversion and encapsulation products and also sell POR-15 products.

Water gets to the clips because it runs down the glass and under the chrome to where the clips are. The gaskets on the clips take a set over time and wind up leaking.

Comment

www.eastwood.com; they have their own rust conversion and encapsulation products and also sell POR-15 products.

Water gets to the clips because it runs down the glass and under the chrome to where the clips are. The gaskets on the clips take a set over time and wind up leaking.
                Is there any way I could seal the clips up from the inside? The two allegedly leaking I could have access through the holes in the trunk.

Comment

You could possibly put some kind of sealer around the base of the clips if you can raise the rubber lip enough (heating it helps soften it). I removed the trim and replaced the seal with some weatherstripping from the hardware store, then reinstalled the trim. If you get all the clips out intact, you don't have to remove them from the chrome trim.

For reference: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196400

Comment

You could possibly put some kind of sealer around the base of the clips if you can raise the rubber lip enough (heating it helps soften it). I removed the trim and replaced the seal with some weatherstripping from the hardware store, then reinstalled the trim. If you get all the clips out intact, you don't have to remove them from the chrome trim.

For reference: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196400
                    Today I decided to clean all the mess...and at the end it is worse than I thought! :/ I lifted the rubber lip without much effort and I could see all clips.

Driver side corner..

Passenger side corner

CEnter

between one of the corner and the center.

I removed as much as I could. I brushed it as hard as I could with some rust remover gel. And I left it to dry. I got some bondo to fill the wholes and some rtv gasket maker silicone to seal all clips. Also some liquid silicone to seal all seams... and some rust paint to cover everything up...

Comment

Working...
                    X