Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Most bang for your buck! whats in your trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most bang for your buck! whats in your trunk?

At the point where I'm ready to Install a new sound system as the existing one is nil.
    I'm just interested in knowing whats the best set up to be had as far as amp quality. ie,
    Rockford ,Sony ,ect. Subs,head unit I'm just undecided and am seeking advice on a decent
    Set up that won't kill all my trunk space. And have good sound quality. Thanks again.

sony is crap. If you ever look inside one of their amps (not the Mobile ES series, those are excellent), it's a generic Chinese design.

I like Eclipse. Their stuff is grade A for car audio.

I don't have any system now, haven't for a while. But I'm going to rebuild it soon.
    I was running at one point
    B&C 8NW51 mids
    Image Dynamics Full body horns
    B&C DE500 Compression Drivers
    Dayton Audio Reference 8's
    B&C 10NW51 (didn't get to try those out fully)
    Dayton Reference 3" Mids
    LPG 26na (Best tweeters ever for very "crisp" highs, very solid, not like cheap discount tweeters. Highly recommend these as an upgrade to any component set.)
    Eclipse aluminum 12" (I wish I never sold this sub, it's a workhorse)

Several Eclipse premium series amps (huge amps, if you have space, they are also very inexpensive in the used market)

Sorry, was just reminiscing a bit. I would recommend an Alpine PDX 5 channel amp, a Pioneer head unit, pair of Alpine Type-R 8 or 10" (lots of great technology in those subs, will be my next sub). I can't recommend any complete mids and highs as I usually roll my own.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I really like MTX amps, but Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Eclipse, etc. are all good, I've been impressed with the little bit I've experienced of Kenwood as well.

Amps are pretty much one of those things you get what pay for; but unless you're going all out, a decent mid-level will suit most people's needs

I'm not sure on speakers, I've run mostly Alpine speakers, but I'm hoping to try out some Memphis Audio sometime in the near future. One of the local audio shops carries only Memphis, and they seem to have really good bang for your buck.

Sub(s) I would also go with Alpine (one 10" or a couple or three 8"s to save space)

I'm really partial to Pioneer head units. Most of them you have to go up a couple price steps in other brands for the same features

Currently (in my Del Sol) I'm running an older Pioneer Premier deck, a five channel Rockford amp (only running front and sub at the moment, I was running the four bridged to two, but had a signal cable end go bad), and an 8" JL

Comment

I have a different issue to address. The PO relocated the battery to the trunk but it's a haggard job and the trunk leaks water a little bit when it rains. I think I'm going to put the battery back up front but my question is rafting sub location. I just got an MTX 400w amp and (2) PB (powerbass?) 10s. I was wondering if anyone has mounted a single sub in their rear parcel shelf behind the back seats. I would just be mounting the one 10" just to get a little more bass in my music. Thoughts?

Comment

People do it all the time. I'm not sure if anyone here has done it.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ggestions.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ll-altima.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...r-install.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...r-deck-ib.html

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            People do it all the time. I'm not sure if anyone here has done it.
            I'm aware it's been done in other vehicles, this isn't my first rodeo. Was just wondering if anyone with a CB7 has done it and could give some application-specific tips or tricks. I took a look yesterday and there's a bunch of metal bracing underneath it, so I'd see that becoming a problem during install.

Comment

You'd be the first I've seen on here. You'll have to find someone with a similar trunk style to ours and see how they accomplished their install.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShotgunFacelift View Post
                I'm aware it's been done in other vehicles, this isn't my first rodeo. Was just wondering if anyone with a CB7 has done it and could give some application-specific tips or tricks. I took a look yesterday and there's a bunch of metal bracing underneath it, so I'd see that becoming a problem during install.
                I've seen it done..it didn't work out very well because of the metal part of the back deck. You'd have to cut out the circular patter for the speaker, then actually build a box around the back side and brace it in place to hold it up to actually get the proper bass response that you're looking for. Its really more trouble than its worth to do it that way. Best thing to do IMO is just to get 2 12 inch woofers and put them in single offer boxes and position them in the trunk on opposite sides so you keep relatively decent trunk space as compared to a singe box for 2 woofers. I'm suggesting 2 roofers because with one, it tends to miss a beat from time to time depending on how quick & hard the kick is in the particular song lol. I also personally prefer 15s, but then again I don't particularly care about trunk space. Right now I have 2 Memphis 15s and a 3k watt Planet Audio Mono amp to push them. That may be a little much for most people tho. Lol
                Word of advice though, understand that if you put in woofers, in most cases you're going to have to replace and amp your in car speakers as well so that the sound matches up, or else you're gonna end up burning out your factory speakers and maybe even your radio constantly turning the volume up just to hear the words..learned that one the hard way

Comment

Thanks for the advice. As I said before, I'm trying to keep electronics out of my trunk as it is leaking a lot (getting into rainy season here) and I haven't been able to locate the leak just yet. I only have 2 10s which is more than enough bass for me. I was only going to use one in the parcel shelf but my buddy informed me about why having 2 is better. I have decent speakers in it now that go fairly loud and I don't intend on thumping my bass at crazy decibels, so I'm not worried about much more than finding a decent spot (that isn't the trunk) for these two subs. Or keep on the hunt for this leak...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :/

Comment

Why not use the 6x9 locations and modify them?

You'll just have a front stage with subs. Rear speakers are unnecessary anyway, might as well do something useful with that space.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                      Why not use the 6x9 locations and modify them?

You'll just have a front stage with subs. Rear speakers are unnecessary anyway, might as well do something useful with that space.
                      I was literally about to post that! I unhooked those speakers the other day because I noticed the PO just twisted them up and left it, no shrink wrap or tape or anything. I do feel that with the extra bass that running just the fronts won't be enough high to cover the bass. I think I'm going to go that route though. I'm $400 into this car including the price of the car, so I'm trying to go crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotgunFacelift View Post
                        Thanks for the advice. As I said before, I'm trying to keep electronics out of my trunk as it is leaking a lot (getting into rainy season here) and I haven't been able to locate the leak just yet. I only have 2 10s which is more than enough bass for me. I was only going to use one in the parcel shelf but my buddy informed me about why having 2 is better. I have decent speakers in it now that go fairly loud and I don't intend on thumping my bass at crazy decibels, so I'm not worried about much more than finding a decent spot (that isn't the trunk) for these two subs. Or keep on the hunt for this leak...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :/
                        Another option that might be a little easier to do is to mount them under the seats with truck speaker boxes..that is..if you don't have power seats..if u got lower seats it won't clear cuz the motors will be in the way. I've also heard of people putting them under the back seat as well.
                        ..bass under the seat makes for a pleasurable ride for your girlfriend....or so I hear lol

Comment

Just get some shallow mount subs and have car toys or somewhere build you a box that tucks into the sides of your trunk or wheel well.
                          My 90 coupe Mr thread....
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

If you were to mount them on the rear shelf with a box underneatg you would have to deal with the "bracing" people have mentioned which is actually the spring for your trunk, without it your trunk won't "pop" open anymore... Or you could mount it above the shelf with a custom fiberglass enclosure.

Personally I would relocate your jack to the spare tire location, make a fiberglass enclosure for the passenger side trunk. I think 1 subwoofer works fine in the accord as well, I've had everything from a single Rockford 10 in a sealed box, to two Memphis mojo 15's in an isobaric 4th order bandpass. "Missed beats" sounds to me like audio clipping from running too much power or wiring your amp at a lower than optimal resistance...

I might also suggest some different subs, I have had a few different power bass subs and they won't win an SQ or SPL competition, but that may not be your goal. For a basic sub I really liked the Pioneer champion series, cheap and they will take all the power you can feed then and keep pounding.

Here's a thought though, maybe a few 6.75 inch shallow mount subs could fit in the rear deck without modification, I wouldn't leave them free air though, and the only ones I've seen in person were Kicker's... They produce quite a lot of noise but seemed a bit punchy, which may have been because they were brand new.

Comment

While I appreciate the effort and responses, I wish you guys would read the whole thread before replying. I bought the car for next to nothing and the trunk leaks so I will not be putting any electronics in the trunk until I can figure out the leak situation. I received these subs and amp for free so I'm going to use what I have and not spend any money on anything that isn't a necessity for the car.

Maybe I should've just started a new thread. I feel bad for hijacking this one and I can see how it could also get confusing. I just want to know if anyone has mounted subs anywhere other than the trunk. If not, guess I'm going to pioneer something (forgive the shitty pun ) and try to figure it out myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X