Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Noob questions for H swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
    H22 are known to use some oil. SO don't be too bummed if you burn some oil.

Mineral spirits prob would have been easier to use to clean the motor rather than your shower.

steve

Naw hot water and dawn dish soap took all the grunge off, even the pistons, everything looks brand new in the shortblock now. LoL i was in a 2nd floor 600 sq ft apartment. Used a dolly to bring the engine upstairs Mineral spirits probably wouldve tipped off I was getting industrial in there lol

Comment

Haha, that must have been a sight, pulling the block to your apartment lol. Aren't the cam seals, or plugs or billets, whatever they're called the same on both ends of the cam?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Motor so good he had to bathe in it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushcb View Post
          Haha, that must have been a sight, pulling the block to your apartment lol. Aren't the cam seals, or plugs or billets, whatever they're called the same on both ends of the cam?
          Oh yeah I did it at like 1 am.. this was the whole engine too. put it on the dolly ratchet strapped it and took about 15min getting it up the stairs quiet as a mouse, all by myself lmao.
          The one cam seal I mentioned is on the left side, intake cam. They have a reputation for going bad/leaking. So the billet one is an upgrade. Ill put a little hondabond on it too. The rest you can use rubber, and I dont think theres any like upgrades for those. just OEM or AM

Left side:

Comment

Awesome lol so billet upgrade on the intake cam and the rest is rubber. How would I replace the seals on the timing side? I'm learning a lot lol thank you again.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

illinois_erik is absoulely correct replace the rubber and the seals It's a lot easier NOW out of the car. Easier to do it right than do it twice. Even if it meant waiting a month or two to save a little more cash. Replacing the seals and belts ARE good preventive maintenance. Doing so means many miles of driving fun with very few worrys
              I ordered many of my parts from Rockauto.com but, ALL of the seals (front & rear main seals, balance shaft seal and molded hoses for the oil cooler are Honda)

Comment

I wont mind waiting a little while longer to swap, to assure that the H will hold up and be reliable lol. I'll be ordering that kit and a new aftermarket cam seal soon!

JDM powered CB7

Comment

The H 22 has an auto-tensioner that NEEDS to be swaped out.
                  Many people do the H23 tensioner swap, if you search on here you will find lots of information on how to do it.
                  Another alternative is kaizenspeed’s H22 timing tensioner, it directly replaces the stock H22 auto tensioner.http://www.kstuned.com/products/h22-timing-tensioner

Comment

Yeah I've scemmed through a few posts about it, it's seems pretty easy. Idk how to get the lower valve cover off though, it's like the pulley is in the way. Do I have to take it off?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Could I get this little kit to replace the automatic tensioner?
                      : http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=41997

JDM powered CB7

Comment

What do you mean? That's precisely what it's for.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yeah I've scemmed through a few posts about it, it's seems pretty easy. Idk how to get the lower valve cover off though, it's like the pulley is in the way. Do I have to take it off?
                          Could I get this little kit to replace the automatic tensioner?
                          : http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=41997
                          Yes youll have to take off the pulley. an impact should zap it right off. some people need the 50mm hex adapter to get it off and youll need it to torque the pulley bolt back to 189ft lbs.

The timing tensioner...i forgot about that because we havnt gotten that far yet..but it seems you dont scare off easily lol.
                          The kit you showed would work, but ive heard its a pain in the ass and if you dont do it right, you can have problems.
                          When I deleted my balance shafts I got KS tuned's timing tensioner which bolts in place of hondas hydraulic tensioner

Comment

I don't really lol, I like learning things like this so in the future I could help someone who's doing this swap out. Plus my name's going to be on this swap so I don't want a bad reputation around here, because they NEVER let you live a mistake down. Anyways with the kit it wont have the hydraulic tensioner when I'm finished, right?
                            Last edited by Flushcb; 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

I almost bought the same kit, I did some reading up on the H23 tensioner swap. The one problem I remember reading about was getting the timing belt on, people were saying it was too tight.
                              Other people said they had no problem with the belt. Since the kaizenspeed tensioner was only $99.95 since I didn't buy the timing belt with it. In the end both will work and do the job.

I bought the kizenspeed tensioner for my H22 for the reason that it is a direct replacement of the auto-tensioner.
                              All of the other stock timing components stay which means the timing belt fit fine before I swaped out the tensioner, and it fit fine after I swaped in the new tensioner. It was a personal choice

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
                                I almost bought the same kit, I did some reading up on the H23 tensioner swap. The one problem I remember reading about was getting the timing belt on, people were saying it was too tight.
                                Other people said they had no problem with the belt. Since the kaizenspeed tensioner was only $99.95 since I didn't buy the timing belt with it. In the end both will work and do the job.

I bought the kizenspeed tensioner for my H22 for the reason that it is a direct replacement of the auto-tensioner.
                                All of the other stock timing components stay which means the timing belt fit fine before I swaped out the tensioner, and it fit fine after I swaped in the new tensioner. It was a personal choice
                                Well I hope I won't have any problems. If I do I'll just buy the ks tensioner, and go that way. I'm still trying to figure out how to replace some seals lol. I'm bass ackwards.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Working...
                                X