Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine only starts with distributor all the way advanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine only starts with distributor all the way advanced

93 Accord, recently swapped a junkyard F22A1, and it ran great be for a while.
    One day I went to start it, and it wouldn't start.
    Replaced spark plugs, wires, injectors, igniter. Finally got it to start, but only with the distributor turned as far counterclockwise as possible.
    This made me think that my timing belt maybe skipped a tooth. Pulled the upper timing cover, and tried to set the #1 piston to TDC, but realized this motor doesn't have a pointer on the lower cover, or any marks on the crank pulley. So I pulled the #1 spark plug, and used the dipstick to eye TDC, and i checked the flywheel mark and the pointer was right on the 15° mark. The cam marks were where they are supposed to be, which leads me to believe that the timing did not jump a tooth. I'm at a loss now, and don't know what to do.
    If the flywheel is right on the 15° mark, is that not TDC? How do I set the #1 piston to the proper TDC without the crank pulley marks?

There is a window to the flywheel/flexplate (manual/auto) just below where the engine model (F22A1) is stamped on the block. There is supposed to be a white mark at #1 TDC. The red mark is 15 BTDC. If the pointer on the flywheel/flexplate was at the 15 degree mark, and your cam marks were correct for TDC, then the timing has jumped.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      There is a window to the flywheel/flexplate (manual/auto) just below where the engine model (F22A1) is stamped on the block. There is supposed to be a white mark at #1 TDC. The red mark is 15 BTDC. If the pointer on the flywheel/flexplate was at the 15 degree mark, and your cam marks were correct for TDC, then the timing has jumped.
      Thank you! I suspected that might be the case. Tomorrow i will pull the mount and lower cover and move the belt back a tooth. Should i replace the belt? I assume it jumped because the belt is stretched?

Comment

Yes you will want to do the belt, tensioner and valve adjustment. Also a good time to do the water pump if it hasn't been done.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Something else to look at would be the balance shaft oil seal retainer. If your engine does not have it, now would also be a good time to add that cheap insurance.

MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
            Something else to look at would be the balance shaft oil seal retainer. If your engine does not have it, now would also be a good time to add that cheap insurance.
            I recall reading somewhere that the oil seal retainer only applied to 94+ F22xx. Is that incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by civintegraccord View Post
              I recall reading somewhere that the oil seal retainer only applied to 94+ F22xx. Is that incorrect?
              It was probably standard for 94+. It should be added to 90-93 when the opportunity presents itself. If the seal pops out (I had it happen on one of mine), it will drain the oil in a hurry.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-18-2018, 09:49 PM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

You could very well be correct. My 96 F22B2 had one. Just thought I would give you a heads up that there is an issue with the seals and if your engine doesn't have one, there is a retainer available.

i think by the time the TSB came out (2002) the 90-93 Accords were well past warranty and not any of Honda's concerns.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Alright, so my flywheel has a mark about an inch after the 15&#176; mark, it's not white (at least anymore) but I assume the is the 0&#176; mark. So I put the pointer on that mark, and turned the cam back one notch to line up the cam marks with the top of the head. Now I can't get the engine to start at all, no matter where the distributor is clocked. What am I missing?

EDIT:
                  It appears that im not getting spark now. Is there a way I can test the external coil?
                  Last edited by civintegraccord; 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X