Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22A1 cranking too long before starting when cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A1 cranking too long before starting when cold?

My CB7 needs to crank for quite a while before it starts when its totally stone cold in the mornings. When its warm or hot, it starts instantly, as soon as I turn the key. Also, when its stone cold, and I turn the key on, and wait until I hear the fuel pump turn off, The engine will also start instantly. Is this normal behavior for F22A1 engines? Is there something wrong or is a part failing? The car has 181,000 Km and was babied for its whole life with regular oil changes and fluid changes. I bought it November 2016

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

There is a check valve in the fuel pump that, in conjunction with the fuel pressure regulator, is supposed to maintain pressure in the fuel line up to the fuel rail on the engine. If the check valve or pressure regulator leaks, the line pressure will drop, then when you try to start it cold by turning the key immediately to "start", it takes a short time to pressurize the line before it can start injecting fuel correctly. By waiting the two seconds for the pump to turn off, you've given it time to pressurize the line so that when you do turn the ignition to "start" it has fuel pressure. It starts OK warm because it hasn't had time for the pressure to bleed off. If you want to confirm this, install a fuel pressure gauge, start and run the engine briefly to pressurize the fuel line, then let it sit overnight and see if it maintains pressure.

I wouldn't change a fuel pump just because of this; just be patient and wait the 2 seconds before turning the key. You could try installing a new pressure regulator (left end of fuel rail). You might try running some fuel system cleaner through the tank; it may ungunk/unstick the check valve and/or the regulator.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-11-2017, 01:10 AM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Although fleetw00d is probably correct, I would also suggest cleaning up your battery terminals. Corrosion on the terminals can result in a hard start situation. It's an easy fix, and smart preventative maintenance. Also make sure your battery cells are topped up with water if it's not a sealed cell battery.

Additionally, check the condition of your spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Honestly, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change all that stuff if you haven't done so already.

Comment

If not the check valve then most likely new filter needed

Comment

Working...
        X