Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Fit (2nd gen) alternator replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Fit (2nd gen) alternator replacement?

I've posted on Fit forums as well, but I figure I might as well post on here, just in case someone has any knowledge to share!

After 390,000 miles, my Fit's alternator seized. I have a working used one on the way, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. It's only held on by two bolts. The top one is EASY to reach... but the bottom one is stuck behind what looks to be a tensioner or balancer pulley... not sure exactly what it is, or how to remove it. I read elsewhere that the intake manifold needs to come off to remove the alternator, which sounds like BS... but if that's the case, that increases the complexity of the whole thing considerably!

Ha! So the bearing was the first part to fail. Not bad. Wish I could help, but I know little to nothing about R or is it L series?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

L series. Lil' bastard Honda engine not found in any other North American model!

I scored a cheap replacement on eBay for $35 shipped, so that will help offset the cost of getting it installed professionally if necessary. TRYING to avoid doing that, but if I can't, at least I'm not spending a fortune on the part! My friend's dad fixed the ruptured brake line on my CTS-V for $100, parts and all, so with luck he'll be able to do this cheap if necessary. I just hate paying to have my cars fixed when I should be able to do it myself!

I have a buddy on Facebook that's getting me more info, so hopefully that'll be what I need. No help from FitFreak.net yet. Though if mine lasted nearly 400k miles, and my car was purchased within one week of the 2nd gen's release date... chances are not many alternators have failed!

Comment

autozone usually has repair guides online for how to replace common parts. I assume an alternator is common enough that they might have the instructions.

http://www.autozone.com/myzone/profi...ipBenefits.jsp

they say they have up until 2007, and the 2007 fit should be similar enough that they might have the information you need in there.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

O'reillys has pro demand.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            autozone usually has repair guides online for how to replace common parts. I assume an alternator is common enough that they might have the instructions.

http://www.autozone.com/myzone/profi...ipBenefits.jsp

they say they have up until 2007, and the 2007 fit should be similar enough that they might have the information you need in there.
            I looked at that (and was annoyed when they didn't have the one I needed!)
            The 1st gen engine is fairly different. The diagram didn't look exactly like mine, though I'll have to get out there and poke at it more when it's not dark or raining.

Comment

1. Do the battery terminal disconnection procedure. See: Battery > Procedures

2. Remove the drive belt. See: Drive Belt > Removal and Replacement

3. Remove the intake manifold. See: Intake Manifold > Removal and Replacement > Intake Manifold Removal and Installation

4. Disconnect the alternator connector (A) and BLK wire (B), then remove the harness clamp (C) from the alternator.

5. Remove the alternator.
              COUPE K24

Comment

That's what I read elsewhere... I was hoping the intake manifold removal wasn't necessary!
                I heard back from one of the guys on the Fit forum, and they said a $10 set of wobble extensions from Harbor Freight should be all I need to bypass that step... hopefully it works!

This engine has so many miles on it that I'm honestly afraid to remove anything that doesn't need to be removed, for fear of breaking more stuff!

Comment

Looks like too much stuff has to come off to do the damn thing. I think I'm going to end up taking it in after all. Might have the AC compressor replaced at the same time, if I can find a cheap one.

Dammit.

Edit: It turns out I MIGHT be able to get everything off... but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it out. AC lines are in the way.
                  It's a moot point at the moment, because I can't find a single 12mm socket.

Comment

I can bring you a 12mm if you need it.

But these new Honda engine bays are more annoying than the old ones. I really don't like working on my Civic.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Removal

Intake removal

Extra specs

Comment

Intake mani removal? That blows.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

I didn't realize you already moved to Philly, Gary!

Thanks, Chris. I think if it comes down to the intake manifold removal, I'll just pay someone else to do it. 7 years and 400,000 miles have resulted in that thing being pretty damn corroded... My EGR valve looks like it would crumble to dust if a wrench came anywhere near it!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            I didn't realize you already moved to Philly, Gary!

Thanks, Chris. I think if it comes down to the intake manifold removal, I'll just pay someone else to do it. 7 years and 400,000 miles have resulted in that thing being pretty damn corroded... My EGR valve looks like it would crumble to dust if a wrench came anywhere near it!
                            Yeah, I've been here a couple months now and finally feeling settled in.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                            X