Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break the ban on importing cars

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ation-vehicles

This is a petition to lift the ban on importing rare sought after cars into the United States.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

That description looks as if a 13 year old composed it. Surely that won't be taken seriously by anyone.

We could import any vehicle we want. All we have to do is modify them to comply with US EPA standards, and provide sufficient crash test data to show that a vehicle meets US safety standards. It only costs a few million dollars to accomplish that.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      That description looks as if a 13 year old composed it. Surely that won't be taken seriously by anyone.

We could import any vehicle we want. All we have to do is modify them to comply with US EPA standards, and provide sufficient crash test data to show that a vehicle meets US safety standards. It only costs a few million dollars to accomplish that.
      It may not be taken seriously, So someone as eloquent as yourself could be inspired to write a better petition that may be "taken seriously".
      CB7TUNER.com

Comment

Or not.

While I do wish I could import, say, a 1999 Skyline GT-R, I understand the reasons why that is not an option. I understand, at least at a very basic level, how much change would be required to allow the importation of such a thing. Change that would have a drastic negative effect on the regulations keeping new cars cleaner and safer than yesterday's cars. I would not propose such a thing simply because I want to import a car, and I want someone to "do something about it."
        The 25 year rule is actually quite generous, especially as it goes into more advanced emissions control devices. Something tells me the 25 year rule may be amended, or disposed of entirely, as we approach the years of OBD2-equipped vehicles gaining exempt status.

Comment

Personally I think we should be able to import anything, and a special insurance class should be created to cater to imported cars and the risks involved in driving a virtual unknown. Its not like these cars are suddenly more safe after 25 years; if anything, they're even more unsafe just from a relative standpoint to current-MY USDM vehicles. It seems like Britain has a pretty open importation policy, and I'm seriously jealous if that.

There have probably been hundreds of these petitions. I wonder how many of the people that started them were wanting a GT-R.
          Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Not gonna happen.

I've signed at least 40-50 petitions like this.

If you really want those JDM cars, then just move to Japan. They get all the cool Japanese cars anyways.

Comment

I personal do not want to import a vehicle. That being said, just because i do not want to import a vehicle is a sad excuse to not help my fellow enthusiast import their dream vehicles. There is too small a number of people who want to do this to justify telling the ones that want it, "No you can't do that". To people who think this well make the roads unsafe or make the air unbreathable or waste resources, I say take the bus, trains, ride your bicycle, or live close enough to walk on your commute to work. Driving is my joy in life, telling me not enjoy the public roadways would be like telling you not to enjoy your favorite use of public parks.
              CB7TUNER.com

Comment

That's the problem... there's such a small demand for them that altering the laws would make no sense. Changing the laws wouldn't just be allowing enthusiasts to import their Nissan Skylines and Mitsubishi FTOs. Changing the laws would provide countless exploits for automakers, used car dealers, etc... Additionally, it would likely set a precedent that would allow opponents of other safety/emissions related things to gain traction.
                It would be like changing firearms laws just to satisfy the handful of self-proclaimed responsible people that REALLY want a bazooka.

As said, it's not going to happen.
                Rather than trying to repeal the 25 year law, we should be looking to protect it... as I wouldn't be surprised to see legislation proposed in the next 20 years or so that prevents the importation of any vehicles made after 1995.
                Imagine it being 2030, and you still can't import an R34. It could happen.

Nobody is telling you that you can't enjoy driving... and there are PLENTY of people that forego that luxury in an effort to remain "green".
                However, if you want to ask for a policy to be changed, the first thing you need to do is understand that policy, and understand the reasons for why it exists. Otherwise, the argument is akin to a child whining to his financially-struggling parent about not getting the newest $400 video game console.

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                  Not gonna happen.

If you really want those JDM cars, then just move to Japan. They get all the cool Japanese cars anyways.
                  Or you could just move to Canada...

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                    Not gonna happen.

Originally posted by 92LxCoupe92 View Post
                    Or you could just move to Canada...
                    Are either of these countries as easy to move to as it is to move to America or have American laws changed?

I understand this may be a futile attempt.
                    It is such that sometimes you have to shoot for mars to hit the moon.

I am not advocating forcing your cash strapped parent buying the latest and greatest technology. I am advocating talking your welloff best friend into whining to his parents to get the greatest new toy so you can both play with it.
                    CB7TUNER.com

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                      Are either of these countries as easy to move to as it is to move to America or have American laws changed?

I understand this may be a futile attempt.
                      It is such that sometimes you have to shoot for mars to hit the moon.

I am not advocating forcing your cash strapped parent buying the latest and greatest technology. I am advocating talking your welloff best friend into whining to his parents to get the greatest new toy so you can both play with it.
                      I'm not sure haha, I figured it would be easier than moving overseas. I mean in Canada there are a few 99/00 r34 GTR for sale, only a 15 year import rule here, although they're reviewing that as I've read British Columbia alone reported upwards of 200+ RHD per month being imported...

Comment

This is dumb. It is a "grass is greener" situation. There are people in Europe that want to buy Mustangs just because Ford doesn't sell them there.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

This argument is dumb, or this law is dumb? Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of a given car, the heart wants what the heart wants. I once saw an SN95 Mustang on a European highway in the background in an episode of Top Gear.

I understand the points that Deev brings up, but an imported car is no more a "bazooka" (i.e. a greater danger to other drivers) than a CB7 is. Compare the popular R34 to a '32 Ford. Which is more safe both for a driver (think crash test performance) and the kid that runs out into the street (brakes and maneuverability)? Which runs cleaner? How does it make sense that our own government would rather us drive the '32 and completely forbid the R34? "Those are the two cars you want most, son? Well sorry, but the government will take the safer, greener car away from you. Let's go shopping for a '32... good 'ol American pride on wheels!"

The fact that countries as modern/civilized/whatever as England, Australia, and Canada aren't as strict as America says to me that this country takes something as insignificant as the car a person drives way too seriously. Laws can be written to clearly distinguish a personally imported vehicle from loopholes that manufacturers can manipulate. It doesn't need to be a blanket, "anything the manufacturer's home country deems road-safe is okay." I can see where the 25 year rule prevents that by distancing a brand new car from something well out of production, but does it need to be such an extreme gap? Would lowering it to something like five years or defining only a previous/out-of-production chassis generation be such a risk?
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-16-2016, 12:35 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The thing is as far as petitions for cars all is well until someone messes it up and makes it bad for all. It's always best to get the car from an importer and mark it through. Sad thing is when after getting the car as fast as it is you really won't be able to test its limits not without getting pulled over by the laws.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              This argument is dumb, or this law is dumb? Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of a given car, the heart wants what the heart wants. I once saw an SN95 Mustang on a European highway in the background in an episode of Top Gear.

I understand the points that Deev brings up, but an imported car is no more a "bazooka" (i.e. a greater danger to other drivers) than a CB7 is. Compare the popular R34 to a '32 Ford. Which is more safe both for a driver (think crash test performance) and the kid that runs out into the street (brakes and maneuverability)? Which runs cleaner? How does it make sense that our own government would rather us drive the '32 and completely forbid the R34? "Those are the two cars you want most, son? Well sorry, but the government will take the safer, greener car away from you. Let's go shopping for a '32... good 'ol American pride on wheels!"

The fact that countries as modern/civilized/whatever as England, Australia, and Canada aren't as strict as America says to me that this country takes something as insignificant as the car a person drives way too seriously. Laws can be written to clearly distinguish a personally imported vehicle from loopholes that manufacturers can manipulate. It doesn't need to be a blanket, "anything the manufacturer's home country deems road-safe is okay." I can see where the 25 year rule prevents that by distancing a brand new car from something well out of production, but does it need to be such an extreme gap? Would lowering it to something like five years or defining only a previous/out-of-production chassis generation be such a risk?
                              The argument in the petition is, paraphrased, "Because I want it"

And yeah, it is unsafe driving a RHD in the US. Recently I was on an island where they drive on the left, but the van we were in was LHD, it was fucking dangerous driving around there.

But even if you source a LHD car, clearly there is a reason the US highway... whatever agency requires the crash testing has specified what it specified means something. In many cases, I think that the model that you seek would probably pass all the tests, but the manufacturer has not subjected it to the standard of test required by the USA because the manufacturer is not going to sell that model in this market. It doesn't matter what their motives for not bringing that particular model to this market because that is the manufacturer's prerogative.

SO

If you want to import that car and operate it on the streets, buy some extras and have them crash tested. Otherwise, I am sure you can import just about whatever you want for off-highway use only.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter
                              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                              X