no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start

So i already went through the comon problems thread , however there are so many solutions and I just don't want to buy 5 solutions worth of parts to figure out it was something simple.

The car has been sitting a few months as I've been away working on a project.

When i finally came home I washed the car , then stuck a battery charger on it. when I went to start it the starter motor sounded like normal but then suddenly changed in sound. It's making a much louder , more noisy whirring noise like a chevy V8 starter noise.

the starter is spinning the engine i can see the belts turning under the hood. I tried giving the starter a couple love taps with the hammer.

I have a really beat up haynes repair manual that i tried to look in to find like a starter relay or fuel pump relay but i can't seem to find those.

I'm not so sure it's the main relay becuase the starter is making a weird noise so surely that must be where the problem is?

Have you checked for spark and fuel?

If the starter is making a weird noise then that could be your problem. Especially if you haven’t changed anything. Do you hear the pump prime when you first put the car to the on position.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
      Have you checked for spark and fuel?
      i havent but im not even sure how you check for fuel on this type of car there no open spot where it comes out or anything

Do you hear the pump prime when you first put the car to the on position.
      to be fair i've owned the car 7 years and I've never heard the fuel pump ever

On my ford explorer i used to have the fuel pump was loud enough it sounded like a powered antenna going up and down but on this honda I've never heard the fuel pump make a noise.

Comment

I checked for spark by pulling the one wire out of the distributor and putting it on top of the valve cover and it was sparking.

when i put it back on i tried starting it again and it sounds like it wants to run. it almost runs but just can't quite get there despite the bad sounding starter.

Comment

Did the spark plugs look wet? Or smell of fuel? That’s the cleanest way to tell if you have fuel. Another way is cracking the nut on the fuel filter and seeing if fuel squirts out when you put the key in the on position. If you have a friend. Have them turn the key to on while you listen in the trunk to hear the pump prime.

The battery may also not have enough amps to start the car. Did you test the battery make sure it’s good?
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Did the spark plugs look wet? Or smell of fuel? That’s the cleanest way to tell if you have fuel. Another way is cracking the nut on the fuel filter and seeing if fuel squirts out when you put the key in the on position. If you have a friend. Have them turn the key to on while you listen in the trunk to hear the pump prime.

The battery may also not have enough amps to start the car. Did you test the battery make sure it’s good?
            the battery has a lot of charge enough to spin the engine a lot so idk

Comment

I think i might just take it to a shop to get fixed as it needed to have the power steering fixed anyway so might as well just pile this on top of it.

Comment

Compression good? Normally if a starter just "changes" in sound out of nowhere, it's either low voltage, or a different load.

Edit: Do you have a multimeter?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  Compression good?
                  yes i actually had a compession test done this year.

Normally if a starter just "changes" in sound out of nowhere, it's either low voltage, or a different load.

Edit: Do you have a multimeter?
                  i dont have a multimeter

Comment

Pull the valve cover off and make sure your timing is good. Rotate the engine by hand and see how it feels. You should feel tightness every 180 degrees or so.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Pull the valve cover off and make sure your timing is good.
                      when they did the compression test they did the timing also.

Comment

ok i got the car to start but im not sure exactly what the fix was I did 3 things

I took out the main relay and gave it a couple love taps
                        I used another car to jumpstart with jumper cables
                        and i held the gas pedal down while it was trying to start which seemed to help a lot.

all this now means the car starts and runs fine. and , the starter sounds like normal for no reason. so i have no clue which it was but i think holding the gas pedal down and starting it on flat ground is what helped the most possibly. I'm still going to buy a new main relay just in case.

Comment

Battery.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            Battery.
                            no the battery was fine i think is was a combination of the main relay and parking it on flatter ground.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                              ok i got the car to start but im not sure exactly what the fix was I did 3 things

I took out the main relay and gave it a couple love taps
                              I used another car to jumpstart with jumper cables
                              and i held the gas pedal down while it was trying to start which seemed to help a lot.

all this now means the car starts and runs fine. starting it on flat ground is what helped the most possibly.

I'm still going to buy a new main relay just in case.
                              Well jumping the car tells me the battery was the problem. The battery may not be faulty, but it probably got a little too discharged when it was sitting while you were doing your projects, man. There is also zero need to press the throttle to start fuel injected vehicles unless something is wrong such as flooding. With carbureted cars sure, press it to prime and set the choke.

While electrons technically have mass, gravity has near zero impact on the flow of electricity so flat ground probably didn’t do much. If it was a fueling problem like a clogged filter you’d likely notice it when driving up hill. You said the car runs and drives fine though so that kinda rules that out, you know?

100% buy another main relay. That’s probably the #1 failure mode of these cars, and it’s a damn good idea to have one in the glovebox. Maybe take the grey plastic part off the silicone board of your current relay and check for cracks in the solder. Again, since your car started fine with a jump, your relay is probably okay. In my experience, hitting old electronics rarely fixes them.

I know I’m arguing with success here, but...

Battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X