Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dual Side Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Side Exhaust?

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so here it goes...
    after a 16yr run my flex pipe broke and i want to do something different. i already have an aftermarket exhaust but i want a change. im thinking that i am going to put a 1 into 2 muffler on and run dual 2 1/4 out either side infront of the rear tires. i want 2 know if;
    1. has this been done SUCCESSFULLY before?
    2. how loud will it be? (magnaflow muffler)

any input will be greatly appreciated. i'm going under the car today to measure it out so wish me luck.
    Click to see ride.↓↓

When you get under your car, you will see that there is an exhaust tunnel and in order to make side exhaust, the pipe will have to be lowered a lot where it will come out of the exhaust tunnel. This is going to be a problem if the car is lowered even a little bit because the exhaust pipes will be REALLY close to the ground, it will not look right. You won't really be able to raise them because you need clearance between the pipes and the bottom of the car OR you will have nasty rattling noises on every little bump

Another problem is that you will not really be able to have the pipes right in front of the rear tires. This is because the trailing arm is in the way. And if you put the pipes right in front of the trailing arms, then your pipes will be right at the reinforcements for lifting the car. So when you take it to a shop, they will not be able to lift it at the reinforcements and may bend/break something.

As you can see I've thought about this lol
    I think it would take a lot of fab work to make it look right on a CB. But if you can do it, post pics of the result!
    Last edited by rexload; 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

yea im going to look at it. my friend is a fabricator for a reace shop and he seems to think we can. but im glad you pointed out the trailing arm thing that wasn't something i thought about.
      Click to see ride.↓↓

Comment

dont do it, then you cant drop the car, because theres a channel under the car that the exhaust runs in, just put the shit out the back.

Comment

the car is already lowered and the exhaust is already is out the back. i looked at it today and it's not impossible. my buddy seems to want to tackle it and he a fabricator for a little race team(penske). lol. it still in the developmental stage so i will keep you posted. today was a quick fix day so i can get it inspected.
          Click to see ride.↓↓

Comment

Why not duals out the sides behind the tires, I don't think I have seen that. Swept back at an angle.
            Where ever you go... Go Boldly

Comment

well it wont be a performance upgrade, but a change in looks for sure

IMO i think its stupid to have a dual exhaust on a 4 banger
              especially right behind the rear tires

my freind got a 96 grand-am that did this , and looks ricy as fuck

but W/e if you could do it , i'm not stopping you

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
              -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

With a dual pipe design, you can run a smaller diameter pipe. That'll give some extra clearance.

It won't be a performance upgrade, as said above. It'll have to be strictly for looks. It'd probably be best with a modified bodykit to go with it.

Comment

speaking of raising the car, I assume it's ok to life the car by the trailing arm or the leading arm, right?

I just did this on a Corolla I've been using because I couldn't find a pinchwell on the car and it was too low to use a 2x4 on the side channel and spread the load (I don't have a low-profile jack and the jack and 2x4 wouldn't fit under the car).

the trailing arm (in this case, front trailing arm) looked to be the beefiest piece of metal around and I figured it normally holds most of the weight of the car anyways. Nothing bent but I'm wondering what people here say or have done. I lifted the car on the trailing arm midway to the wheel and put the car up on jackstands near where the arm is joined to the frame with a frame bracket.
                  Last edited by batever; 05-16-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                    With a dual pipe design, you can run a smaller diameter pipe. That'll give some extra clearance.

It won't be a performance upgrade, as said above. It'll have to be strictly for looks. It'd probably be best with a modified bodykit to go with it.
                    agreed it wont be for performance (maybe electronic cutout for that) but i think it will give me a different tone and definitely some different looks. i was thinking 3in downpipe through cat and into a 1 in 2 out muffler. and run 2 1/4in out the sides. i might go with an oval pipe to get the ground clearance i need at the sides but not sure. body kit isn't a bad idea but im not the biggest fan.

keep giving me suggestions though i like when people find things i missed.
                    Click to see ride.↓↓

Comment

you could always throw on a back pipe from a neon srt4 its a dual exit piping...i did this on my 1990 integra and i loved it, i want to do it to my cb7 when i get new exhaust.it will brap large time though, as you wont be able to use a muffler unless you can fine one to suit your needs that could replace the part where your resonator is..GL
                      Last edited by carps_accord; 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM.
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Le bucheron did it : has u can see there : http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63861

Comment

dont even run a open header on our cars, it sounds like shit and is embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                            dont even run a open header on our cars, it sounds like shit and is embarrassing
                            well... since i have a big 16g turbo it could come in handy. I'm looking at it for race purpose only. what it was designed for. you have belittled me twice in this post. so if you don't have something constructive to add please keep your thoughts to yourself.

to everyone else. thank you very much for your input.
                            Click to see ride.↓↓

Comment

so let me get this straight
                              you got a turbo, and you want to run side exhaust, maybe even with a cut out

from what i understand turbos demand huge exhaust, 2.5+
                              if your gonna run side exhaust, you need to run a 2.0 maybe a 2 1/4
                              and sence your motor isnt gonna be running with the big turbo group here.
                              running a cut out could fuck your power up, due to the fast the smaller turbo your running needs some sort of back pressure yet.

so doing a side exit exhaust/cut out is gonna hinder your performance

not battling you, just want to see you get the most out of your cb.

Comment

Working...
                              X